Discussion Zen 5 Speculation (EPYC Turin and Strix Point/Granite Ridge - Ryzen 9000)

Page 304 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
CAMM is a form factor. Why does it have numbered variants??

We didn't have SO-DIMM1, SO-DIMM2, SO-DIMM3 right?
CAMM is a proprietary standard developed by Dell.

CAMM2 is a JEDEC standard based on CAMM that anyone can implement.

Sort of like switching up from AMD/DICE's Mantle to the Khronos Vulkan API standard for low level graphics programming which was directly based on Mantle with input from the hardware and software industries.

Last edited:

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
CAMM is a proprietary standard developed by Dell.

CAMM2 is a JEDEC standard based on CAMM that anyone can implement - sort of like switching up from AMD/DICE's Mantle to the Khronos Vulkan API standard for low level graphics programming which was directly based on Mantle with input from the hardware and software industries.
3 minutes faster than I :)

Reactions: soresu

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021
Why is the added latency of LPDDR a problem for PC enthusiasts?

Apple Silicon Macs use LPDDR with no issue.

I suppose it has to do with the different design paradigms. Intel/AMD CPUs are designed to run at higher clock speeds, and are hence more latency sensitive.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Why is the added latency of LPDDR a problem for PC enthusiasts?

Apple Silicon Macs use LPDDR with no issue.

I suppose it has to do with the different design paradigms. Intel/AMD CPUs are designed to run at higher clock speeds, and are hence more latency sensitive.
Gaming... One of the reasons why X3D is so successful :)

Reactions: igor_kavinski

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Zen 2 is also quite small. If it provides enough CPU capability to exploit the GPU segment, then why change?
Imagine the size of it on N3. (not saying anything, just that the die would be super small.)

Yeah, that's the point.
You screw it in and a-ha! it works.
Not only that, but it could potentially go on the back side of the motherboard and that would save a ton of space. PCs gonna get smaller, yo!

adroc_thurston

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2023
Hoho, we shall see...
the platform is fixed in place.
Nothing to see.
Not only that, but it could potentially go on the back side of the motherboard and that would save a ton of space
It still heats up and needs cooling. So no you don't.
It's just a smaller, neater form-factor for client memory.
(frankly, DIMMs kinda suck a fat one in general)

Reactions: Tlh97 and Thibsie

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
the platform is fixed in place.
Nothing to see.

It still heats up and needs cooling. So no you don't.
It's just a smaller, neater form-factor for client memory.
(frankly, DIMMs kinda suck a fat one in general)
Case manufacturers are already accounting for this in new and future designs. Shoot. some manufacturers are already including extra space for backside power connectors.

I would dig up some links, but I am on mobile rn.

adroc_thurston

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2023
Case manufacturers are already accounting for this in new and future designs
Can't do that, you're ATX-limited.
some manufacturers are already including extra space for backside power connectors.
That's not dissipating any real heat.
It depends entirely on your use case.
The usecase for DIY DT PC is gaming.
LPDDR is sorta a mixed bag there; higher net (and I think effective) bandwidth but latency is measurably (very much so) worse.

Jul 27, 2020
Seems like a modern overhaul of overall PC system design is long overdue.
I prefer something like easy to plug rectangular modules. Everything covered with a plastic shroud to protect the internal electronics and having microchannel spaces in the plastic for airflow. Make it so easy that a five year old can assemble their own PC.