*Official Red Dead Redemption thread* - Wanna posse up pardner?

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A lot of things you can do are clearly at odds with the character that is shown in the cutscenes. If you decide to be a total bastard in the game by killing everyone and everything, it doesn't fit with the way John carries himself when talking to major characters and doing missions. In fact, that John probably wouldn't even agree to do half of the missions he does; at the very least some of them would turn out a lot differently.

It's certainly nice to have some options but it has its price in terms of fitting in with the single player narrative.

I don't know, the John Marston in cutscenes doesn't really seem to have any consistent ethics either.
During his time in Mexico, he helps the rebels and the army, killing large numbers of both of them. Hell, he brutally put down the rebels in Nosalida and burned the town. This was shortly after saving Luisa from the army, at least the way I played it was.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
If that's actually the reasoning it's rather thin. At one point, after you start doing mission in Blackwater, he drives you through town with you in the back of a truck manning a gatling gun with the entire town gawking at you... after which you proceed to meet a sizable contingent from the Army. The "secret" that you were working with/for him doesn't seem all that secret. Not to mention that by that point you are rather famous and would have obviously been seen walking freely around town going in and out of the government offices. You also had that big bank shootout in the middle of town with Ross and company right along side you.

I agree with the other guys, the ending didn't seem to make much sense. They could have at least set up some story where Ross simply thought his past crimes couldn't be redeemed and he frames him for something. Just coming in with a bunch of Army with no explanation seemed sort of like a cheap ending.

Yeah those are all fair points--the ending does seem a little wacky. Everything doesnt seem to mesh (and I'm probably wrong with my interpretations).

I'm on painkillers right now so purple elephants make sense to me.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
The ending wasn't fantastic but it wasn't bad enough to ruin the game experience. Overall probably the best SP experience I've had since Batman: AA.

bdubyah

Nov 20, 2007
LOL. seriously? I feel dense as hell, I never really looked at the crap drawn on the map :eek:

Don't feel bad. My friend thought I did something special to get it to show up on my map because he had never noticed it. I told him I haxed it. :p

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I just got a bounty for killing one of the reinforcements for doing a bounty mission. And because they killed my horse, I had to use one of the crappy ones that one of them left behind, so the lawmen caught up really quick. I had to choose between killing the lawmen or dying myself, so I shot them and failed the bounty mission. I had to ride across half of mexico to get to the guy, and a glitch made me fail. Now I have to go find another black horse, re-earn my honor, and pay off a bounty.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just buy a horse deed. You can use them repeatedly.

And are you sure you didn't accidentally auto-target an innocent? I've done that several times while being chased during a bounty. I pass some guy riding by, and when I turn to kill some bandits there's the poor sod right in my sights.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Just buy a horse deed. You can use them repeatedly.

And are you sure you didn't accidentally auto-target an innocent? I've done that several times while being chased during a bounty. I pass some guy riding by, and when I turn to kill some bandits there's the poor sod right in my sights.

That's possible I suppose, I think I might remember some guys riding by.

I haven't bought a horse deed and I don't plan on it. It's not that I don't have enough money ($10,000) it's just that I like to go out and find it and break it in on my own. I also don't buy survivalist maps, I prefer to find the plants the hard way.

chorb

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
I just got a bounty for killing one of the reinforcements for doing a bounty mission. And because they killed my horse, I had to use one of the crappy ones that one of them left behind, so the lawmen caught up really quick. I had to choose between killing the lawmen or dying myself, so I shot them and failed the bounty mission. I had to ride across half of mexico to get to the guy, and a glitch made me fail. Now I have to go find another black horse, re-earn my honor, and pay off a bounty.

lol, I woulda hit the power button the xbox right about then

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
That's possible I suppose, I think I might remember some guys riding by.

I haven't bought a horse deed and I don't plan on it. It's not that I don't have enough money ($10,000) it's just that I like to go out and find it and break it in on my own. I also don't buy survivalist maps, I prefer to find the plants the hard way.

you guys should quit using noob mode and go to expert aim :awe:

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
My friend just saved over my game - NOOOOOOO. I just got to blackwater - rank 7 on every challenge, helped every stranger I could find and did every bounty I could find. I had $4500!

Last edited:

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
My friend just saved over my game - NOOOOOOO. I just got to blackwater - rank 7 on every challenge, helped every stranger I could find and did every bounty I could find. I had $4500k!

$4500,000? wow.

This is also part of the reason I don't let friends save games on my xbox. They can play my saves or start a new game, but they're not allowed to save.

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
$4500,000? wow.

This is also part of the reason I don't let friends save games on my xbox. They can play my saves or start a new game, but they're not allowed to save.

lol whoops - yeah it sucks. Don't know whether to start over or not...hmm

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I am stuck. The only person on my map is my bastard son Jack. Everytime I go to that location it says he isn't there. I have done all the side missions except for finding the damn beavers for the guy in mexico and california is still wondering around somewhere. What am I missing? I really want to get this story line finished so I can send it off to amazon.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Well that was quick. I agree with everyone else, that ending sucked bad. Probably one of the worst of any game I have finished.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
My friend just saved over my game - NOOOOOOO. I just got to blackwater - rank 7 on every challenge, helped every stranger I could find and did every bounty I could find. I had $4500!

Wow that blows... I'd be furious. Why doesn't he create his own gamertag/login name? One reason they're there is so shit like this didn't happen =P

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well I hit 100% tonight. I still have a couple single player achievements I might shoot for, and may do a bit of free roam multiplayer once in a while, but I'll probably give it a break until the DLC hits later this month.

All in all, very good game.

PimpJuice

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2005
Well I hit 100% tonight. I still have a couple single player achievements I might shoot for, and may do a bit of free roam multiplayer once in a while, but I'll probably give it a break until the DLC hits later this month.

All in all, very good game.

Tried to posse up with you tonight Bob but your party was full......I knocked out a few free roam achievements instead.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I saw you on there and then the posse leader started jumping into matches and such. Logged off shortly thereafter.