*Official Red Dead Redemption thread* - Wanna posse up pardner?

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Usually when I shoot it scares them off, or at least makes them back off for a second. If you kill a couple of them they run away. The biggest thing is to just keep your horse moving. They are surely going to kill it if you stay still. They're not real good at attacking when you're horse is running. The auto aim should make it pretty easy to kill a few of them.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Thanks. I bought a double-barreled shotgun for coyote-slaying. I almost bought the Winchester repeater but decided to hold off until I can get it for free anyway. One more thing, has anyone here tried to save someone from hanging and had a heck of a time shooting the rope? I was playing a few minutes ago and tried to shoot the rope, but instead struck the hanging woman square in the head and then had to kill her rescuer. I rolled back to an old save but I know I'll have to try again eventually.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Ya you don't have much time to shoot the rope, and then when you do, they will still try and shoot her. Dead eye works on the rope though, and that's really the only way to shoot it in time.

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
damn. i just saw the trailer for the undead single player.. im a sucker for zombies... seemed the ripped off l4d a lil bit but it looks awesome.. i gotta wait.. though..need to beat some other things before i bye another add-on. lol

i want to hunt the sasquash!

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I still need to get around to finishing this game. I don't even know why I stopped. Oh well, New Vegas has my life right now.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Thanks for bumping this. Rockstar sent me the Undead Nightmare pack but my life has (haapily) been completely consumed by Fable 3, Fallout New Vegas, DJ Hero 2, Rock Band 3 and the Borderlands DLC.

Part of me feels like the last thing RDR needs is a zombie infestation. To me RDR has this, sorta of, classy and serious motif and zombies have become such a campy concept that's being shoehorned into things. It doesnt fit RDR, it doesnt fit Rockstar and it doesnt really fit the genre so much.

Then there is the other side of me that says "this is Rockstar and they dont F up that much, so just go with it".

Waiting to hear impressions from others here...

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
yeah but for a halloween type special its cool. if it was in the game normally i would agree..

but as a silly addon to have fun wth the season im cool with it.

R Nilla

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2006
I really enjoyed RDR and played the crap out of it but I'm not quite sure I'm ready to head back to it. However, all of the positive buzz I've seen so far has definitely got my attention. It looks like you get a lot of content for your $10.

Also tempting is that all three add-ons are available as one download for a discounted price of $20 as opposed to $30 ($10 x 3). I don't think I care about more multiplayer content, though.

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
yeah.. if it was all single player content i would jump on the bundle. but since i hated the multiplayer in rdr. ill pass on that.

bdubyah

Nov 20, 2007
I played it for a bit, but quickly got pulled back to New Vegas. The dialogue so far was pretty hilarious. It all has this lack of seriousness about it, which just makes it better to me. This isn't a survival horror add on. Think Zombieland. :p

Last edited:

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I wrapped up Undead Nightmare over the weekend.

The wackiness of the narrative is pretty well handled overall. It's nice to see that the game never takes itself too seriously too. If you like RDR then you've got to pick this up.

For me, the highlights are participating in the liberation of towns (a process of distributing some ammo to the survivors and then killing off the zombies) and finding all 4 horses of apocalypse. I first horse I found was Famine, who has unlimited Stamina and has this green cloud that chases him. Then I found War who's surrounded by flames and can burn zombies that touch him. Then I found Pestilence who, confusingly, is surrounded by a swarm of locust who do nothing, and then finally Death. If you haven't found the 4th and final horse, Death, you're rewarded with him once you complete the main storyline. Death is awesome because he's really fast (doesnt lose speed when running off the dirt roads) and explodes any zombies that touch him.

Oh and there is one really awesome thing that happens at the end, in regards to the narrative, that you just have to see. I refuse to spoil this too. ;)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I bought this game quite awhile ago and gave up due to boredom right around the time you head into Mexico. After playing LA Noire a month or two ago I decided to pick up the GOTY edition of RDR and give this one a shot again. Wow, what a game. This is one of those games where I want to know all that happens between 'the end of the game' and 'the end of the game'. Yes, I'm ready for a sequel.

I guess there are still a few things left to do though...

1) Undead Nightmare
2) I'm at ~80% completion. I have a feeling most of what I have left will be the challenges but I may very well go for 100%.
3) Are there any dlc missions having to do with Jack?
4) GTA 4? I've never been a big GTA fan but after playing LA Noire and RDR I'm feeling a inspired.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
I picked this up yesterday after beating LA Noire. I'd be down for some posseing up to clear some multiplayer achievements.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I bought this game quite awhile ago and gave up due to boredom right around the time you head into Mexico. After playing LA Noire a month or two ago I decided to pick up the GOTY edition of RDR and give this one a shot again. Wow, what a game. This is one of those games where I want to know all that happens between 'the end of the game' and 'the end of the game'. Yes, I'm ready for a sequel.

I guess there are still a few things left to do though...

1) Undead Nightmare
2) I'm at ~80% completion. I have a feeling most of what I have left will be the challenges but I may very well go for 100%.
3) Are there any dlc missions having to do with Jack?
4) GTA 4? I've never been a big GTA fan but after playing LA Noire and RDR I'm feeling a inspired.

RDR felt like a movie to me, in a good way. Especially the "first" ending, just wow. IMO, its the best Rockstar game I ever played, with San Andreas a close second. GTA 4 was quite good, but story wise its not quite there with RDR. But as far as a huge open world with good story, you'll still like it.

I 100%'d RDR, a fair bit of work, but nothing ridiculous. And not super tedious either, like some other games' 100%ing is. You should go for it, but definitely use the website, it helps a ton. Now that you mention it, I should just dish out for the GOTY edition, the zombie story gets good reviews.

Last edited:

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yea the Undead Nightmare DLC is awesome. One of the best DLC's I've ever played. Almost another game on it's own.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
I made it just past Mexico, then the 360 hdd cratered and I lost my save. Got it repaired and couldn't get myself back into it. I now play PS3 as my main console and am considering grabbing it because it was a lot of fun.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Holy Old Thread Redemption (get it?)

RDR was a fantastic game, just wish Multiplayer had more staying power.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
If I’m looking for a copy for the 360 is it worth going to the trouble to get game of the year edition? What do I miss out on if I just get the normal one?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
GOTY includes the Undead Nightmare DLC and some multiplayer stuff. I don't know if the multiplayer still works.