*Official Red Dead Redemption thread* - Wanna posse up pardner?

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Until yesterday I knew almost nothing about this game, now I'm ridiculously excited about it. Figured it was time for an official thread as well as an AnandTech posse list.

The Posse (Username - XBL GT/PSN ID)

Xbox 360
Kabob - I Kabob I
chorb - blortov
JoPh - Joph
Cuda1447 - Cuda1447
BoberFett - BoberFett
fatpat268 - fatpat268
GCS - blowfish7494
TallBill - ImTallbill
manchimp - ManCHimp
Phobic9 - phobic99
PimpJuice - pLmpjuice
zoic - izoic
Onita - MrOnita
Baasha - Baasha
endlessmike - CoolerKing79
Zargon - haunter ap
Mr.Brightside - AWESOMEmcFUNBUG
trmiv - volitan34
parsley007 - a sneaky shark
state_08 - twenty9o2for50
dougp - dougism
nycxandy - NP4
getbush - arby08
smackababy - the wrong panda

Playstation 3
Spankthru - Spankthru
Tristicus - GuitarrassDeAmor
Childs - WacoJohnnieDean
pontifex - reapyreap
SirFelixCat - SirFelixCat
hans030390 - hans030390
Krakn3Dfx - Krakn3dfx
tdawg - ttinker
SergeC - SergeMan
Jschmuck2 - Jschmuck2
TheVrolok - TheVrolok
BW86 - bosomfondler

HD Videos from machinima:
Gameplay Intro
Life in the West pt. 1
Life in the West pt. 2
Weapons of Death
Multiplayer Free Roam
Multiplayer Competitive
Gentlemen and Vagabonds
The Law
My Name is John Marston
The Women

Last edited:

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
AUS Gamers preview part 1
AUS Gamers preview part 2

Australian Exclusive: Extended Red Dead Redemption Hands-On Preview

AusGamers was given a unique chance to sit with Red Dead Redemption for a whole day in a no-holds barred preview session that resulted in a cumulative understanding of the game's finer mechanics. Read on for all the details...

We must be special. Turns out, Rockstar Games, arguably the tightest-lipped publisher/developer on the block, who rule their media presentations with an iron fist (in that they're very controlled and context-driven), decided it would be a good idea to give one Australian online outlet a no-holds barred free-reign run of the Red Dead Redemption game-world. They chose AusGamers. So from 9am until 6pm (with a lunch break) that's what I did; mounted my virtual horse and explored one of the most exciting, grim and rich open-worlds to ever grace gaming. We've talked passionately about this product since our initial preview session with it, and in each and every iteration it has done nothing but impress with the culmination being this pre-gold build and my seven-odd hours with it. For the sake of truly covering all aspects of the combined mechanics of Red Dead Redemption, we'll spread this coverage over two days, focusing today on the game-world itself, its ecology and relationship with John Marston, and how it manifests into one of the most coherent environments you'll ever experience. Because nothing here is bells, whistles or superfluity; it's engaging, deeply rich and utterly symbiotic to the player.

History and Politics
Red Dead Redemption is set in semi-fictional states and territories of the United States in the year 1911 (discovered only by reading an in-game newspaper). History buffs could likely discern the year from the game's opening dialogue; happening between various passengers sitting on the same train as Marston as he makes his way to the town of Armadillo, who spout era-specific comments derived from important moments in US history. But like so much of the game's deeper plot, nothing here is directly served to you. It's a tumultuous time in the US with the ever-expanding government vying for greater control of the country along with subsequent taxing of its denizens for varying initiatives and government-run social services, raising the ire of many citizens as yet untouched by government control or mandate. But the Civil War is some 46 years over, and the country is moving forward with industrial expansion in the form of railroads, banking, cars and even flight. The FBI is in its infancy, and untrustworthy in the eyes of local law enforcement. But for reasons I won't spoil, Marston is directed by government agents to engage the sheriff of Armadillo and parts beyond, which ultimately leads to his conquest of the land.

In talking about the player's symbiotic relationship with the game, Red Dead Redemption does a stand-up job educating anyone not versed in the country's history, while maintaining that signature Rockstar commentary of social standing. What's interesting is just how much more poignant the ambient commentaries throughout Red Dead Redemption are than those found, and writhe, in Grand Theft Auto IV. Here there's a greater ability to point at just why certain American mindsets have remained marginally unchanged in the last 99 years. There's more fun to be had with it, too.

Like most Rockstar Games, narrative is passed voraciously through travel dialogue between characters, which helps shape the world around you, flesh out important players in the game's story, and give you bait with which to decide how to treat the environment at large. It's not too long, however, before you're given the tools you essentially need to survive the untamed world and its many dangers and delights.

On The Lam
In 1911, the US was a scattered collection of towns and encampments, reminiscent of the nomadic settlements of the Mongols centuries earlier (and in truth just as reticent for unification). A single railroad bypassing one town could mean its ultimate demise though (this is evidenced in the game), and as such prosperity was witnessed where there were people to witness it. This is equally true of the geography and town planning for Red Dead Redemption. Early in the game Marston finds himself travelling between the town of Armadillo and the MacFarlane Ranch before expanding his travels to parts unknown, but even this seemingly short distance comes with a heady dose of realistic landscaping. Almost all travel is performed via horseback or stagecoach (the former being the major bearer of your travel weight though), and much of this is interesting based exclusively on terrain, your mode of transport and just who, or what, is around at the time of encounter.

Similarly to GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption employs a realistic physics system alongside the highly touted (and Rockstar-popularised) NaturalMotion Euphoria for animation. However, in extension of the aforementioned game, animals throughout the game-world are imbued with the system; the most important of which is horses. What this adds to the game is a seminal level of excitement of the Western movie genre kind. Ultimately, stunts are free-form and without script. The same could definitely have been said of GTA IV, but in Red Dead Redemption, with it's lightened cast of ambient characters and NPCs, it has a more impactful role. Moreover, treating your horse with care and respect will result in an earlier bond; ergo better performance for a greater gameplay reward. This is done by not pushing the animal too hard, whistling for it instead of just stealing the closest one to you, and feeding it apples. Early on in your experience the default horse becomes easily attached to you, but soon after you're gifted a rare and agile stallion for breaking it in (which is performed via a relatively easy but fun mini game), which becomes much more attached.

In keeping with the time, Marston can earn money for jobs completed or by gambling. You can, of course, loot dead bodies also, but money isn't nearly as easily accessible as it was in GTA IV, and you'll find spending a much more thoughtful task as a result. You can use it to hitch a ride on a stagecoach (much like taxis in GTA IV, replete with a scenic ride across the way), rent a room, buy a room, buy provisions or try your luck. Each town has various options for the discerning Gamblor in you, with poker, craps, five finger fillet, horseshoe throwing and more on option. Most are easy enough to play (I had trouble with the horseshoe at first, but picked it up pretty quickly), however, the exception in the games I did play was definitely Five Finger Fillet, which requires rapid input of a code of face buttons; miss and you hear (and ultimately feel) the point of your knife bite your finger. Each of these is a great and inviting distraction from the main game, but the biggest and most engaging of these is definitely the game's Survival Challenges.

Skin Me Alive
Early on in the game, pointing your weapon skyward and shooting a buzzard will prompt the beginning of your Hunting Challenges. These are essentially tiered requisites that employ you to hunt various numbers of specific animals. The further you get into these, the more difficult they become. Moreover, once any animal is shot, you can use its corpse for skinning or food, both of which can be sold or used later on in the quest for new outfits or to just replenish health. There are also other challenges available, such as having to pick certain flowers or herbs from the land, and while they're available as challenges, they also later rear their heads as side-quests for various NPCs riddled throughout the land.

As suggested though, none of this is simply in place to pass the time, there's a serious ecosystem here with a veritable food-chain among the game-world's animals, some of which you might find yourself in the path of. Snakes, buzzards, rabbits, armadillos, coyotes, wolves, horses, cattle, boars, bears - oh my. In the time I logged in the game I'd only scratched the surface of interacting with this system, but seeing it take shape and work - independently - around you is definitely a driving factor of feeling like you're part of a larger, more robust world. Red Dead Redemption is not played through levels or area unlocking, it's played by real-world rules, with real-world focus.

Similarly to Fallout 3, and in keeping with this preview's purpose of explaining the game-world's ecology, buzzards circling off in the distance denote death or destruction, giving you a focal point of direction should you want to investigate. Usually you'll find death at the base of these, either recent or long gone, but it's also another factor of the game mentioned earlier; a grim stake on the very real world Red Dead is based from. All the political chagrin of the time barely represents the nature of the 'Wild West' - this was a time of emergent crime; gun-slinging, oppression, rape, murder, and destruction. This is reiterated over and over as you play, a great example of which saw, without pretext, an elderly man kneeling on the side of the path mourning with deliberation over what could only have been his dead wife, who was lying in a pool of blood. There was no context to this, only that it happened, and you saw the aftermath - keep on riding.

There's a Storm Comin'
Finally, the environment itself is wrought with life. Red Dead Redemption's massive game-world (of which I only saw one area in seven-odd hours of play, and not even all of it) has its own character that shifts with seasonal change, weather and day and night. In the whole time I played I barely saw the same thing twice, despite visiting various areas multiple times. This is caused through different visual sheens brought about by differences between overcast, rain, sun, storm, sunrise, sunset and more. The day and night system seems somewhat lengthier than other games, and the game-world itself changes depending on the time of day. At night, stores close and the thoroughfare of a town becomes ghostly. Walk into a saloon, however, and life's a party - gambling, drinking, raucous conversation, drunks, ladies of the night and more colour the watering hole's innards, and you can pretty much interact with most of it (though no propositioning ladies, much to my dismay). Equally, out on the lam, night becomes a dangerous place with wolves prowling for prey, bandits scouring the land and where undesirables (such as cannibals) feed off the game's rich life-blood.

The geography of the land is also just as colourful as everything else that has gone into making this one of the richest places to explore. Fauna, land features and more change depending on ecology. For example, the closer you get to larger masses of water, the more green and damp the environment. The more inland you go, the more arid everything becomes, and so forth. This equally effects what animals you're likely to encounter, and even the types of people you come across.

What's important about all of this is just how it overlaps, interacts and builds. There's no separate algorithm for each individual aspect, they combine and coalesce in random emergent life; realistically working together in whatever capacity they're supposed to. If a traveller is stranded in the hills at night, he's likely going to have to fend off wolves. You could probably hogtie a township denizen, take him out and leave him just to see what happens, and there's actually definitive consequence for many of your actions in Red Dead Redemption. My first Quick Draw challenge saw me gunning down my challenger without a problem; leaving him lifeless in the middle of Armadillo's thoroughfare. I walked off and triggered a story sequence with the town's sheriff and emerged sometime later to find my challenger's body gone, but a pool of blood was still marking the spot where he died. I walked over to, and through, the blood and started tracking it with each subsequent step denoting its freshness. And finally, I accidentally shot a land-owner I was supposed to buy a deed for his property off, when I took the deed back to the quest-giver, he remarked it was covered in blood and that I might have to bear the wrath of his son when next I travelled to a specific town - my Rockstar representative sat shocked having never seen that outcome before.

Conclusion
All of the above is a basic dissection of the life of the game. Red Dead Redemption is an open-world title unlike any other, where your part in its ecology is just as important as your reason for being there. The Challenges, economy, denizens, travel, geography, weather, natural order and more all work in perfect unison, and anything but harmony. The world of Red Dead Redemption is a brutal and oft times bleak place to be, yet it's life as was known of the time (making it all the more scary), and still you need to make your way through it. And despite this, there's still something utterly engaging about it. Make no mistake, none of the above is to suggest this is essentially a Wild West Simulator - far from it. What it is, is simply a game-world with actuality, consequence and purpose. Everything that exists here is has a reason for existing, and while you're most definitely the one experiencing it, it never feels like it's just been placed there for your benefit, rather that you're simply a traveller passing through and bearing witness.

Stay tuned for part 2 of our extended coverage tomorrow, which will actually look at the gameplay system, and how all of the above fits into player tasks, narrative and progression. And seriously, even with both days of coverage, I can guarantee you we've barely scratched Red Dead Redemption's richly detailed surface.

For more Red Dead Redemption news, features, screens and video, be sure to check out our game page.

Red Dead Redemption Hands-On Preview Part 2
AusGamers was given a unique chance to sit with Red Dead Redemption for a whole day in a no-holds barred preview session that resulted in a cumilative understanding of the game's finer mechanics. Read on for all the details...

For those just joining us, AusGamers was cordially invited out to Rockstar's Sydney office to spend a day playing Red Dead Redemption. The preview session saw no holds on what I could do with the game; I had free reign to broach any mission I wanted, engage in any side-quests I could find and explore as much of the world as I desired. The end result saw me splitting the preview up into two parts: yesterday's focusing on the life of the game if you will, and today's looking more into what makes everything tick.

If you missed yesterday's preview, you can find it here, but I basically went into detail about foundation of the game's narrative and setting, touching on the shape the US was in, in the era the game is set (1911) and talked about its separate parts functioning as a symbiotic whole with (and for) the player. Today we're going to be a bit more clinical with what the game has on offer; how its gameplay variations work in unison with one another, how it's all paced and what ties it all together. I'll touch on some of the technology, how the game is looking, what you'll be hearing while galloping across the vast gameplay expanse and just how it all comes together in gaming coherency.

Technology
While GTA IV was hailed as a crowning achievement in technology for the open-world genre with its expansive and detailed world, physics system and Euphoria, the game engine Rockstar North used was actually developed by Rockstar San Diego. The RAGE engine was originally built for Red Dead Redemption (and was shown off in tech-demo form at E3 in 2005), but has since found itself as the company's staple development architecture; evolving as needed to cater for anything being built within the collective Rockstar studios' walls. What this means, however, is that while the engine is available to everyone within Rockstar, the team who know it best are clearly the guys who built it. And all the while it was being tweaked and moulded to bring us GTA IV, San Diego were in development with Red Dead Redemption; learning from mistakes or shortcomings essentially tested with GTA IV. This shows in the final result; the game is very, very quick to load (so no annoying GTA IV pre-load art screens), and the game-world seamlessly renders in incredible scope. The only time you're really facing any lengthy loads is if you fast travel to different areas, otherwise it's all-immersive, never once pulling you out of suspended disbelief and your overall experience.

The incredible thing about this streaming world is just how unbelievable the draw-distance is. I'm reminded of the likes of Oblivion, Fallout 3 or even the recently released Just Cause 2 - all showcasing massive landscapes as far as the eye can see. But Red Dead draws so much more detail out of this scope, and the game-world is much more engaging as a result. The build I was playing only suffered minor moments of pop-up, and I never noticed a single hitch in frame-rate. There's also an incredible level of real-world detail - something I touched on in part 1 of my hands-on. Essentially there are never two areas of the landscape repeated twice. Texturing is insanely detailed with smooth load-ins that barely catch your eye, this helps in a gameplay facet too. One of Red Dead's optional side-quests involves finding treasure, the only thing is, the maps designed for this purpose are usually very vague, often only representing locations via crudely drawn landmarks. The idea then is to match up these amateurishly-drawn maps with the real-world. The first one I attempted was reasonably easy, but the second had me utterly baffled. I can see this quest seriously pushing the cerebral envelope for a lot of players.

Something else I touched on in part 1 was also the use of NaturalMotion's Euphoria animation tech. It's actually starting to make its way around to various developers now, but Rockstar were chosen as one of the first to utilise it in videogames, and while it was very cool in GTA IV, its evolution is more than apparent in Red Dead Redemption. All characters and animals in the game are animated using Euphoria, and the end result is a robust and more-naturally organic gameplay and ambient experience. Marston, for example, walks with deliberation; his strong stance, bow-legged cowboy stride and horse-riding ability are all immediate stand-outs. In combat enemies react realistically when hit, and when dead, will fall with amazing physics. It adds to the brutal nature of the Wild West, but also delivers a level of combat satisfaction too many games ignore. Every shot fired counts in Red Dead Redemption, so actually killing enemies with skill and seeing their reactionary animations based on said skill is like a virtual pat on the back. Moreover, the combined technologies of the RAGE engine, its physics system and Euphoria really can't be understated - especially when you consider you'll be partaking in plenty of horse-back combat, stage-coach driving/riding and, of course, mixing it up with game's trains. You'll almost never experience action the same twice over.

Dead or Alive
Within such a large game-world, and with so many perils to be aware of, it was important Rockstar never pull the player too far out of the game in the event of death. Mid-mission markers are very forgiving here (unlike GTA IV), and dying will either respawn you at a checkpoint during a mission, or in your closest owned or rented house/room. The freedom to own or rent in every sizeable town was a very good idea, and I applaud the system, because off mission it's just as easy to die, and the last thing you'd want to do is have to travel some of the larger distances to get back to where you bit the dust.

In your rooms/houses, you can replenish ammo, sleep (which acts as a Save system and advances time by six hours with each nap) and change clothes. Clothing is a reasonably robust system, and the in-game menu even has an option to check out your what you have available or what's required to get the next ensemble. From what I toyed with, there's no deeper level of item customisation (in the way of mixing and matching), but there was a lot of space for various outfits, teased in silhouette form. You can also visit general stores, gun shops, clinics, the tailor and more to buy odd items such as Chewing Tobacco, Apples (for your horse), Medicine (to replenish your own health) or bandannas (which are used to disguise yourself should you need to break the law, or if you're running from the law). Gun shops offer a variety of weapons, while others can be found lying about the place or are rewarded at the end of missions. You can also sell items found, or the skins from animals you've hunted in the wild, and as mentioned in part 1, the game's economy system is actually challenging to manage and engaging as a result. It's all part of the symbiotic nature of the game I've been reiterating; side-quests become important because they reward the player with money, which is then used to strengthen Marston or make life easier on the player (in the house buying or renting factor, or for fast travel etc), but all of this is always intricately linked in some way, shape or form and totally compelling as a result.

The side-quest portion of the game is probably more robust in variety and form than the game's main campaign (sans awesome story). After you complete the first few required quests, the game-world opens up for you in much the same way we've come to expect from Rockstar open-world games, and most side-quests can be started by simply talking to NPCs, reading Wanted posters or generally engaging in life in the game-world. 'Strangers' is another in-game menu option, which tracks quests that aren't part of the main story. See a question mark on your mini-map and it'll lead you to an NPC usually asking for help. Some of their missions might come in the form of simple fetching, travelling or killing, but others can actually last a long time, with multiple tiers replete with breaks that actually require hours or days of in-game time to pass. This maintains the organic flow of the symbiotic game-world I've been raving about, and it helps keep everything fresh and alive - there's no repetitive structure in place for missions here, and while some of them are essentially the same, only in newer areas (like breaking in horses), you're never forced to do anything in any one particular order, again elevating Red Dead Redemption over its Rockstar brethren ten-fold.

Draw
About the only thing carried over from Red Dead Revolver (technically Redemption's precursor) is the game's Dead Eye shooting mechanic. The basic element to this, in the single-player campaign, is that Marston can draw, enter Dead Eye (with a push of R3) and paint various targets on his opponents in a moment of slowed time before pulling the trigger. In this mode, depending on your Dead Eye meter, you can paint multiple targets across a single enemy or even multiple enemies. It comes in ridiculously handy if you're dangerously outnumbered, or if you're having trouble locking onto that elusive rabbit running through the underbrush. The game's difficulty settings tie into this in a way too, with targeting acting as tiers of Easy, Normal or Hard. Choosing a to have the game help with auto-aim, for example, is essentially the easiest setting. You can also choose to have a snap lock-on (that is still unrestricted) which is like the normal setting, or 100% free-aim. The good thing about this is the game doesn't scale in difficulty (except a little in Casual mode), it just offers options for skilled or unskilled players to let them play the game in the most comfortable and rewarding way possible.

As law was a bit of a grey area during the era Red Dead is set, Rockstar has implemented something of a morality system that sees you gaining or losing both Fame and Honour. The amount of both of these will affect how you're treated by the game's NPCs, which can equally affect the availability of certain missions or side-quests. Usually in towns you're often given opportunities on-the-fly to right wrongs with citizens running up to you asking for help in the apprehension of a horse-thief or stopping a kidnapper from taking someone. There are various examples, but easily the most eye-opening came very early on when I heard a piercing screech from a woman, I ran over to the new marker on my map only to find a girl being stabbed to death by a knife-wielding maniac, right on the porch of the local saloon, and in broad daylight, no less. As I didn't make it in time to stop him from murdering her, I lost Honour and clearly gained no Fame - but in my defence, I'd never seen anything like that in a videogame before and so was plain gob-smacked (and thus unable to react).

As your Fame rises for completing missions, you'll come across various characters out to make a name for themselves by challenging you at Quick Draw duels. These immediately go into Dead Eye once one of you has drawn, and then you have the option to paint your opponent with the aforementioned targets. If you take your time to ensure you mark him up good, you might lose out to a faster gun, though painting him too quickly could cause you serious inaccuracy, and the truth is, due to the shoddy workmanship of the time, there's no guarantee your bullets are going to be overly accurate either. It's an interesting system designed to help you become skilful behind the trigger, as opposed to all-powerful simply because you have the Dead Eye ability.

A Tall Tale
As far as story and narrative goes for the game, unlike some outlets out there, we're not going to spoil it for you. What I will say is that story structure is largely similar to that of previous GTA outings, and while you're certainly given choices throughout with definitive outcomes, you're still following a central plot. The game's scripting and dialogue is incredible though, and they've nailed the era with a cast of excellent characters who all far outshine those seen in the GTA series thus far.

Marston is easily the most accessible and likeable Rockstar leading man yet. His respect for woman, poise, logic and desire to rectify some wrongs in his past make him instantly likeable, but like so many Western heroes and anti-heroes, he's not afraid to get his hands dirty or walk the walk, so to speak. He also looks cool. I've suggested in a previous preview that he's essentially a composite of Clint Eastwood and Wolverine, and playing this long through the game, I couldn't have been more right. His voice-actor does a great job of getting into his skin, and you really feel associated with him. Moreover, the other 'good' characters in the game, such as Bonnie MacFarlane do a great job of off-setting the more cooky of them out there (such as the Golem-like Seth obsessed with his treasure map and dead bodies). And believe me, in the seven-odd hours I played, I saw a serious amount of crazy in Red Dead Redemption.

The overall presentation never detracts though, from the actual world created here. If anything the story is a bonus mission, and all characters and NPCs aside, the greatest personality here is the world itself. Everything I've reported on and compiled over the last two days seamlessly interlocks and interacts to craft a truly organic and free-form gaming experience. This isn't just "GTA in the West", it's a genre-defining experience that utterly raises the bar for all open-world games to follow. It's also an incredible feather in the cap of Rockstar San Diego who have arguably been living in the rather large shadow of their Rockstar North older brother. Red Dead Redemption is their crowning achievement, and a game they should be incredibly proud to have crafted. Time will tell just how the full experience pans out, but with my time with it, Red Dead Redemption proved to be an absolute must-have; a richly gratifying experience that covered so many solid gameplay bases, while introducing many of its own. I can't wait to set foot in New Austin again, and ride off into the sunset.

Last edited:

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
I know I could Google, but what is posse list? (in relation to game)

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
im waiting on reviews before i make the jump. that or i may try out gamefly trial again. but this would be xbox purchase for me.

chorb

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
woo hoo I made the list! Do we have to talk in western slang over xbl?

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
I haven't decided which platform I'm going to get this for, but unless it gets bad reviews, I'll be picking it up on release day. Can't wait!

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Alright, I'll bite. Not because its a good game (although it may be) but I want to join an AT Posse!! Woot Woot, Cuda1447. Let's do this!

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
damn. if everyone is in a posse i dont want to be left out.... grrr..

i wanna be an outlaw!

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Alright, I'll bite. Not because its a good game (although it may be) but I want to join an AT Posse!! Woot Woot, Cuda1447. Let's do this!

360 or PS3? I assume 360 as you're on my FL...but I could be misled! In which case we'll tar, feather, and drag you threw town!!

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I might pick this up, but I'm waiting too see what my friends get it on before hand. If it is Xbox360: the wrong panda. If it is PS3: uBadKid

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Here are some FAQs posted at the red dead website.

In the wake of last week’s Red Dead Redemption multiplayer gameplay video unveiling the game’s Competitive Modes, and the related screens and section update earlier this week – we’ve received a number of questions from the inquiring minds of eager fans. In response, we present this special Red Dead multiplayer edition of Asked & Answered.

Please understand that we are not going to be able to answer every single question that comes our way – but do look for more Asked & Answereds leading up to the game itself being in your hands in just about three weeks now...

“Is there auto aim on multiplayer for RDR?” – received via Twitter

Like the single player game, there are three targeting modes available to choose from: Casual, Normal and Expert. Casual is full lock, Normal snaps-to-target but does not lock on, and Expert has no assist. You can configure your own personal targeting to suit your preferences in any game by using the multiplayer playlists in the menu.
For Competitive games, there are Casual playlists for all game types that are exclusively Casual targeting mode, or that allow players to mix it up and play against each other across a variety of the three targeting types.
There are also playlists for Gang Matches and Free For All games which allow players to use Normal or Expert targeting together (but not Casual).
For advanced players that prefer to strictly play against other free-aimers, Hardcore and Veteran playlists that exclusively support Expert targeting can be used for all Gang Matches and Free For All Games.
It’s also worth noting that honing your multiplayer skills with the more advanced Normal and Expert targeting styles will reward you with bonus XP to level up faster than those using Casual.

“Can we only have 16 players be in a "free roam" lobby world? I was hoping that there could be lots of real players in a single "free roam" world but either way it will be awesome.” – El_Bandido_RDR

Our goal is to ensure that Red Dead Redemption’s multiplayer sits comfortably alongside the single-player game in terms of our own incredibly high standards of quality, production values and attention to detail. Red Dead's multiplayer gives players online a gigantic open world to roam around in, complete with a fully functioning ecosystem including animals to hunt and horses to ride, ambient challenges, towns full of NPCs and law enforcement… all taking place under a dynamic day/night cycle and weather system – as well as the option to dive into competitive modes at any time, all without sacrificing the detail that makes the single-player game so amazing. Trust that with 16 players all able to jump in and out of any aspect of this world at any time, Red Dead Redemption’s multiplayer pushes the limits to the brink of what’s currently possible with open-world multiplayer on consoles.

“Will there be health regeneration???” – Bigdragon8me

Yes. As in the single-player game, your health will regenerate as you play multiplayer matches.

"Has the cover/aiming system been updated since Grand Theft Auto IV... mainly ability to aim out of cover without firing?" - Zack26

Yes, you can aim while in cover, which will spin you out/up to display the reticule and set your shot before firing the weapon. You will not be able to aim precisely without leaning out to fire, but you can look around while in cover in order to blindfire (with less precision) or to set up your inital aim in preparation for leaning out to take a shot.

“I wonder how the dead eye will feel in multiplayer mode?” - willspeed

We have designed it to be both fun and effective in the multiplayer modes. It doesn’t slow down time like it does in the single-player game for obvious reasons, but painting targets to take down multiple enemies can be great strategy in modes like Gold Rush, where more than one opponent is fighting over the same objective.

“R* can we enter a team multiplayer game like Grab The Bag without being in a posse?” - Byside

Yes. Creating posses in multiplayer isn’t a requirement, it just makes things easier and more fun for you and your friends, especially in Free Roam sessions where you may want to tackle some of the challenges together, like heading out to a gang hideout or looking for a hunting challenge.

“Are the posses always the same or do they change if u go off online like they’re just teams for that round?” – wyliemyster

Each time you head into Red Dead Redemption multiplayer, you will create new posses according to the players in your session. While posses are not persistent offline, if you and your friends want to always play together as a ruthless band of outlaws, we’ve made the multiplayer menu and invite system simple and easy enough to find each other online, posse up, and challenge others in Competitive matches whenever you’d like.

"How many weapons can you carry at once?" - Rodriguer2000

There is no hard limit to the amount of weapons you can carry - you can carry every weapon you pick up, and switch between weapons in a given class using the d-pad + weapon in the pause menu. In Competitive matches, different areas will have different weapon load-outs - for example, the larger area of Diez Coronas offers a sniper rifle to offset the power of the cannon and gatling gun placements. Choosing the appropriate weapon for the task, and conserving ammo for that weapon is key to effective strategy.

"Hey R* I still need to know, will we be able to swim in RDR?" - captaincabbage

As an outlaw character who's spent most of his life on horseback in the land-locked territories of the West - John Marston is not much of a swimmer. If he has to cross a body of water, transport will be provided. John has no problem wading, but if he gets too deep, he will drown.

"Can your horse jump?" - Zack26

Yes. Not only can you make your horse jump at any time, but your horse's basic intelligence enables it to vault over low objects and avoid other obstacles - like cliff edges - naturally, allowing you to focus on the business of riding and/or shooting.

“The multiplayer info so far looks awesome!!! What’s up with the shootouts that happen when you start a match? How’d you guys come up with that??” – received via Mouthoff

Throughout the development of the game, we were looking for as many classic Western moments to pack into the game as possible. The concept of a Mexican stand-off, with gunfighters suspensefully poised, looking into the eyes of their killers seemed well suited to the game and also a great way to get acquainted with the players in a match before you set about trying to kill them. Team Games start with both sides lined up in a Showdown. Free For All matches start with the Standoff with everyone in a circle. It makes it really tense with everyone pointing their gun at other players – and it is actually possible for everyone to get killed right at the start.

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
"Hey R* I still need to know, will we be able to swim in RDR?" - captaincabbage

As an outlaw character who's spent most of his life on horseback in the land-locked territories of the West - John Marston is not much of a swimmer. If he has to cross a body of water, transport will be provided. John has no problem wading, but if he gets too deep, he will drown.

This made me smile. I love Rockstar.

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
Hmm the Amazon deal on this is tempting. now to decide if I want it on PS3 or 360.

Regardless of which platform I get, my gamer name is phobic9.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Hmm the Amazon deal on this is tempting. now to decide if I want it on PS3 or 360.

Regardless of which platform I get, my gamer name is phobic9.

Get it for the 360...just trust me (although I don't know why).

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Achievements are up on Xbox360Achievements:

High Roller 10
Win over 2000 chips in a hand of Poker.

No Dice 10
Complete a game of Liar's Dice without losing a single die.

What About Hand Grenades? 10
Get a ringer in a game of Horseshoes.

Austin Overpowered 25
Complete Twin Rocks, Pike's Basin, and Gaptooth Breach Hideouts in Single Player.

Evil Spirits 25
Complete Tumbleweed and Tesoro Azul Hideouts in Single Player.

Instinto Asesino 25
Complete Fort Mercer and Nosalida Hideouts in Single Player.

Fightin' Around the World 5
Knock someone out in melee in every saloon in the game in Single Player.

Strange Things are Afoot 10
Complete a task for a Stranger.

People are Still Strange 25
Complete 15 tasks for Strangers.

Buckin' Awesome 10
Break the Kentucky Saddler, the American Standardbred, and the Hungarian Half-bred.

Clemency Pays 10
Capture a bounty alive.

Exquisite Taste 10
Purchase a rare weapon from a gunsmith.

Bearly Legal 5
Kill and skin 18 grizzly bears.

He Cleans Up Well! 10
Obtain the Elegant Suit.

More than a Fistful 10
Earn $10,000 in Single Player.

Frontiersman 20
Obtain Legendary rank in any Single Player Ambient Challenge.

The Gunslinger 5
Score a headshot on any enemy using Expert targeting mode.

Man of Honor / Chivalry's Dead 25
Attain highest Fame rank and either highest Honor rank or lowest Honor rank.

Gold Medal 25
Earn a Gold Medal Rank for a combat mission in Single Player.

On the Trail of de Vaca 10
Uncover every location on the map in Single Player.

Friends in High Places 10
Use a pardon letter with more than $5000 bounty in Single Player.

Redeemed 100
Attain 100% in the Single Player Game Completion stat.

Mowing Them Down 20
Kill 500 enemies with a mounted weapon in any game mode.

In a Hail of Bullets 20
Kill 500 enemies with any pistol or revolver in any game mode.

Long Arm of Marston 20
Kill 500 enemies with any rifle, repeater, or shotgun in any game mode.

Bullseye 20
Get 250 headshots in any game mode.

Unnatural Selection 20
Kill one of every animal species in the game in any game mode.

Have Gun Will Travel 20
Complete all Hideouts in a single public Free Roam session.

Slow on the Draw 10
Get 10 assists in a single Hideout in a public Free Roam session.

Hit the Trail 10
Get from Blackwater to Escalera before sundown in a public Free Roam session.

Posse Up! 10
Create a posse and get the maximum number of members.

The Quick and Everyone Else... 20
Be the top scoring player in any three consecutive FFA games in public matches.

How the West Was Won 20
Reach the top rank for multiplayer experience.

Go Team! 20
Be on the winning team for four consecutive victories in any team based game in public matches.

Most Wanted 10
Become a Public Enemy for 10 minutes and escape alive in a public Free Roam session.

Red Dead Rockstar 10
Kill a Rockstar or someone with this achievement in a public multiplayer match.

+ a bunch of secret achievements.

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
Eh, I don't like multiplayer trophies and such...especially for Rockstar's games, because GTA IV absolutely sucked donkey balls (online for trophies) because of the servers not saving information.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Hopefully those issues will have been rectified by now...but who knows.