Next Galaxy Phone Unveiling - May 3rd

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Calculation updated:
It will also be shipping with 2,050mAh battery as standard, compared to 1,650mAh standard on current Galaxy S II.
Since they claim the new chip draws 20% less power, that means 1,650mAh of the last generation is equal to 1,320mAh.
That means it should last 1.55x as long as current Galaxy S II phones while delivering 2x the processing power.
2,050mAh / (0.8 x 1,650mAh) = ~1.55x longer battery life while delivering 2x the processing power, Best case scenario.

2,050mAh / 1,650mAh = ~1.24x longer battery life while delivering 2x the processing power, Worst case scenario.
This worst case scenario is assuming that Samsung when claiming it draws 20% less power was using the new 2,050mAh battery in it's calculation which could inflate battery performance a bit because some of that "20% less power" Samsung mentioned could be accounted in the larger standard 2,050mAh battery. In that case there would be no need for the "0.8" part in the earlier equation.

My guess is it will fall somewhere between 1.24x to 1.55x longer battery life while delivering 2x the processing power of the Galaxy S II series.

Keep in mind that you can also underclock and undervolt your processor because that "2x the processing power" statement gives one a lot of room to maneuver.
You should also be able to underclock/undervolt your processor to "Galaxy S II like" performance using SetCPU, and your battery life would be 2.48x to 3.1x longer while delivering the same performance as last years Galaxy S II series.

All this calculations are in "theory" of course, so don't quote me on that. Also, keep in mind this new phone has a bigger screen also.

My issue with your calculation is that you base battery life solely on battery size and soc when in fact it is the screen and radio that consume the most battery life. If you run the SGS2 all day, your screen will consume more than half the battery. Now include the radio usage and then alter your calculations

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I'd belive the S4 rumor for At&t at least, ever single LTE phone they have is Qualcomm powered. Verizon on the other hand has always had a variety of SoC's available in their LTE devices so I don't see why they would mandate S4.

If the US versions are all S4 I'll be setting out this generation.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
ok, so now quad is confirmed, the next step is hopefully non pentile....

Somone posted an article in one of these threads about a ~4.6" Super AMOLED Plus screen that Samsung had already unveiled so none pentile should be a safe bet.

Headcase_Fargone

Nov 20, 2009
So I'm guessing we'll be in the same boat as with the Note (forgive the rhyme)? If we want the quad-Exynos version on T-Mobile we're out of luck more than likely. What are the odds this phone will be penta-band?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
ok, so now quad is confirmed, the next step is hopefully non pentile....

With pixels that small, how would you notice the pentile pattern? I could barely notice it on the Atrix and that had it "bad" according to users here.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
My issue with your calculation is that you base battery life solely on battery size and soc when in fact it is the screen and radio that consume the most battery life. If you run the SGS2 all day, your screen will consume more than half the battery. Now include the radio usage and then alter your calculations

My "theoretical" calculation was only comparing the SoC and battery with nothing else since all the other things so far are speculation because we don't know much of anything else. We only have Samsung's word about the processor being 20% more efficient than last year while providing 2x the performance, and also the 2,050mAh battery standard which I believe is a fact. I have no idea how much their 4G LTE radio would use if it shipped with one. And so on and so on.

Screen size increased from 4.3" to 4.7"?...That's only a 9.3% increase in screen size. Feel free to knock off another 10% of my estimates?

Assuming it's still 3G or you can set it to run on 3G mode only, radio usage won't have any noticeable increase in power consumption compared to the regular Galaxy S II. 4G battery life? I have no idea how to calculate or account for that or include it in my estimates. I suppose someone could do a test run on the Galaxy Nexus in 3G only mode vs 4G only mode and compare the differences.

If they don't ship an LTE version, then we can assume nothing should change with the radio regarding power consumption. If anything, it should go down if they're using a newer/more efficient 3G radio.

At this point, I still don't care about LTE that much so if they ship a 3G only version, even better IMO because I already get 4-5Mbps and have no need for 10-20Mbps at the massive expense of battery life.

I mentioned that my calculation was in "theory" earlier. It seems everyone just decided to skip that last line of my post or didn't bother to read it.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
I agree.
That's why I said in "theory" at the end of my post.

Not sure what to think of this. :hmm:

i think ebay or expansys, that's what I think :awe: assuming my pentaband prayers are answered of course.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Supposedly leaked pictures of the phone
http://phandroid.com/2012/04/27/sam...in-sheds-prototype-dummy-case-for-the-camera/

HBpWK-550x733.jpg

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Looks like a chop of the Galaxy Nexus.....and I don't know of any carpet that reflective.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why would you even think like that when it's the screen that draws the most power?

The soc draws the most power, set the screen to never turn off and leave the phone to idle for an hour and the battery will slowly go down. Now start browsing websites and watch your battery go down 2-4x faster.