Next Galaxy Phone Unveiling - May 3rd

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
The soc draws the most power, set the screen to never turn off and leave the phone to idle for an hour and the battery will slowly go down. Now start browsing websites and watch your battery go down 2-4x faster.

It's still the screen that draws the most power because AMOLED uses more power displaying the color white than black (0).

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
There's no reason why you can't have both.

It will also be shipping with 2,050mAh battery as standard, compared to 1,650mAh standard on current Galaxy S II.
Since they claim the new chip draws 20% less power, that means 1,650mAh of the last generation is equal to 1,320mAh.
That means it should last 1.55x as long as current Galaxy S II phones while delivering 2x the processing power.
2,050mAh / (0.8 x 1,650mAh) = 1.55x

Samsung promised major battery improvement for the year 2012. Looks like they may deliver on that.

Your math is wrong.

The SOC draws 20% less power not the total device. The screen and radios draw power too.

Edit: I see that someone brought that up.

Last edited:

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's still the screen that draws the most power because AMOLED uses more power displaying the color white than black (0).

That's incorrect, the sgs2 display is draining 950mV at max brightess + white screen, minimum is 360mV and average use could be around 450mV. While the cpu is draining at 1400mV @ 1.6ghz and the gpu is draining at 1150mV @ 400mhz.

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011
That's incorrect, the sgs2 display is draining 950mV at max brightess + white screen, minimum is 360mV and average use could be around 450mV. While the cpu is draining at 1400mV @ 1.6ghz and the gpu is draining at 1150mV @ 400mhz.

Do you mean mW? These numbers are useless without amperage measurements.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Hope display is not pentile otherwise, it's a failure.

I wish there was a "taste test" like Pepsi vs Coke but Pentile vs Plus. I doubt many could see the difference. As it stands there is no way to have this test because those who know about it usually know which phones carry it. Therefore invalidating the test. We would need just plain screens not on phones to truly know.

Samsung-Galaxy-S-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-screens-5.jpg

Last edited:

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I wish there was a "taste test" like Pepsi vs Coke but Pentile vs Plus. I doubt many could see the difference. As it stands there is no way to have this test because those who know about it usually know which phones carry it. Therefore invalidating the test. We would need just plain screens not on phones to truly know.

After having used a SGSII I can say that I have never seen that effect... ever. Wish i had that image to test, but I am really curious what would cause that to show that bad.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

I can definitely notice it on my Nexus S. It's not noticeable with everything but I can notice it.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Your math is wrong.

The SOC draws 20% less power not the total device. The screen and radios draw power too.

Edit: I see that someone brought that up.

I already addressed those points in my earlier post.
The screen is only ~9% larger than the regular Galaxy SII, therefore figure 9% more power use on that end for the screen. Feel free to take 9% off those estimates.

The radios won't draw any extra power than the regular Galaxy SII if they make a 3G only version or they make a 4G version and you disable the 4G radios and run in 3G only mode. You can disable 4G radios on almost all phones.

What will be the battery life on 4G LTE? I have absolutely no idea, and at this point I don't even care because the 4-6Mbps I already get today is more than enough, any higher is just diminishing returns.

At this point if it gives us twice the processing power while giving the same battery life as the Droid Razr Maxx, I'll be happy...But not happy enough because I want a Nexus device and will only deal with those from now on.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I already addressed those points in my earlier post.
The screen is only ~9% larger than the regular Galaxy SII, therefore figure 9% more power use on that end for the screen. Feel free to take 9% off those estimates.

The radios won't draw any extra power than the regular Galaxy SII if they make a 3G only version or they make a 4G version and you disable the 4G radios and run in 3G only mode. You can disable 4G radios on almost all phones.

What will be the battery life on 4G LTE? I have absolutely no idea, and at this point I don't even care because the 4-6Mbps I already get today is more than enough, any higher is just diminishing returns.

At this point if it gives us twice the processing power while giving the same battery life as the Droid Razr Maxx, I'll be happy...But not happy enough because I want a Nexus device and will only deal with those from now on.

I saw your post and I don't agree with it. There's too many what ifs for it to be a solid judgement.

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011
Not to kick salt into a dead horse's wounds when he's down, but wouldn't a 4.7" screen have over 19% more surface area (which dictates power use) than a 4.3" of the same aspect ratio? I could be wrong because of the pain meds...

Feb 19, 2001
If it's a 720P screen it won't make even the tiniest difference if it's pentile or not.
The thing is people praised the One X screen as completely blowing by the GNex. Just because there aren't many phones out that are non pentile and kick ass, doesn't mean pentile doesn't matter.

The crowd always says the current best is good enough until the next best thing comes out. It's like when people claimed 1ghz phones were so zoom zoom but they're complete lagfests still. Then people acted as if dual core solved all issues and Android was no longer laggy, but then ICS dropped and then people were claiming this is the new definition of smooth. Certainly it's still no WP7/iPhone 4S, but its almost there.

Anyway, what I mean is 720p pentile is noticeable if you compare to a HTC One X, and once the non pentile screens start flooding the market, no one will ever dare think of pentile again.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Left is pentile, right is non-pentile. You can tell by the pixel orientation/sparkle on the screen.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
The thing is people praised the One X screen as completely blowing by the GNex. Just because there aren't many phones out that are non pentile and kick ass, doesn't mean pentile doesn't matter.

The crowd always says the current best is good enough until the next best thing comes out. It's like when people claimed 1ghz phones were so zoom zoom but they're complete lagfests still. Then people acted as if dual core solved all issues and Android was no longer laggy, but then ICS dropped and then people were claiming this is the new definition of smooth. Certainly it's still no WP7/iPhone 4S, but its almost there.

Anyway, what I mean is 720p pentile is noticeable if you compare to a HTC One X, and once the non pentile screens start flooding the market, no one will ever dare think of pentile again.

I don't see pentile going away for a while, I'd rather have the next resolution up in pentile than one lower in a traditional screen.

quite frankly it's a little bit stupid that pentile is blasted so much when viewing even high res pictures and HD video there is still artifacting from compression anyways. sometimes the limiting factor is the source media and not screen itself.

prism

Oct 23, 2004
I can only see the Pentile effect on my Gnex if I'm looking at something that's solid red and hold the phone about 8 inches from my face. I'll take that minor annoyance and the "color over-saturation" over low resolutions or a washed-out LCD any day of the week.

It's not like I'm looking at pieces of art from the Smithsonian on my phone, or I give a flying frak about the skin-tone of the pigs in Angry Birds Space exactly matching the developer's original vision....