Next Galaxy Phone Unveiling - May 3rd

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Latest rumors.

We have a quad-core dual-core Exynos 4212 processor clocked at 1.4GHz, 1GB of RAM, a 4.7″ HD display (1280×720), 2MP front camera, 12MP rear camera, and Android 4.0.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/2...chmark-tops-all-devices-and-lists-full-specs/

Looks like we're getting an obscenely powerful dual core processor.

Am I the only one who's starting to care a bit less about performance and more about my phone lasting through the day with decent usage?

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
Latest rumors.

We have a quad-core dual-core Exynos 4212 processor clocked at 1.4GHz, 1GB of RAM, a 4.7″ HD display (1280×720), 2MP front camera, 12MP rear camera, and Android 4.0.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/2...chmark-tops-all-devices-and-lists-full-specs/

Looks like we're getting an obscenely powerful dual core processor.

I wouldn't call that "obscenely powerful". It's the same SOC as the Galaxy SII with a ~%15 clock boost and a die shrink. That's actually very disappointing.

Oct 25, 2006
I wouldn't call that "obscenely powerful". It's the same SOC as the Galaxy SII with a ~%15 clock boost and a die shrink. That's actually very disappointing.

I didnt know what SOC it was specifically. All I saw was the benchmark topping everything else

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Am I the only one who's starting to care a bit less about performance and more about my phone lasting through the day with decent usage?
There's no reason why you can't have both.
Samsung claims the chip will offer double the processor power of its 45nm predecessor while drawing 20 percent less power.
It will also be shipping with 2,050mAh battery as standard, compared to 1,650mAh standard on current Galaxy S II.
Since they claim the new chip draws 20% less power, that means 1,650mAh of the last generation is equal to 1,320mAh.
That means it should last 1.55x as long as current Galaxy S II phones while delivering 2x the processing power.
2,050mAh / (0.8 x 1,650mAh) = 1.55x

Samsung promised major battery improvement for the year 2012. Looks like they may deliver on that.

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Is that a four plus one quad like the Tegra 3? I find the companion core really helps with battery life, especially for media playback.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004

It will also be shipping with 2,050mAh battery as standard, compared to 1,650mAh standard on current Galaxy S II.
Since they claim the new chip draws 20% less power, that means 1,650mAh of the last generation is equal to 1,320mAh.
That means it should last 1.55x as long as current Galaxy S II phones while delivering 2x the processing power.

Samsung promised major battery improvement for the year 2012. Looks like they may deliver on that.

Does the new chip support LTE now? If they can do that without LTE sucking the battery Im willing to shell out a hefty amount for it over my GN.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
I think its mislabeled, there's no way a dual core a9 would trump the quad core a9 tegra3.
Could be a case of dual issue dual core?

In other words, 2x dual core A9 rather than 1x quad core A9.
Sure both methods have 4 cores and can therefore be called quad core, but there's a difference.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Calculation updated:
2,050mAh / (0.8 x 1,650mAh) = ~1.55x longer battery life while delivering 2x the processing power, Best case scenario.

2,050mAh / 1,650mAh = ~1.24x longer battery life while delivering 2x the processing power, Worst case scenario.
This worst case scenario is assuming that Samsung when claiming it draws 20% less power was using the new 2,050mAh battery in it's calculation which could inflate battery performance a bit because some of that "20% less power" Samsung mentioned could be accounted in the larger standard 2,050mAh battery. In that case there would be no need for the "0.8" part in the earlier equation.

My guess is it will fall somewhere between 1.24x to 1.55x longer battery life while delivering 2x the processing power of the Galaxy S II series.

Keep in mind that you can also underclock and undervolt your processor because that "2x the processing power" statement gives one a lot of room to maneuver.
You should also be able to underclock/undervolt your processor to "Galaxy S II like" performance using SetCPU, and your battery life would be 2.48x to 3.1x longer while delivering the same performance as last years Galaxy S II series.

All this calculations are in "theory" of course, so don't quote me on that. Also, keep in mind this new phone has a bigger screen also.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Does the new chip support LTE now? If they can do that without LTE sucking the battery Im willing to shell out a hefty amount for it over my GN.
I doubt LTE is integrated in this chip.
I'm not sure if LTE is integrated into the new SoC like it is in Krait or not, but I know Samsung has had their own LTE baseband for chip for years. The Droid Charge and Galaxy Nexus uses Samsung baseband chips for LTE, unlike almost everyone else on the market that have to rely on Qualcomm and LG which only seems to rely on itself. Qualcomm, Samsung, and LG are the only companies that have LTE baseband chips.

At this point, whether it's integrated in the SoC or not doesn't matter much since they can always attach their LTE baseband chip from the Droid Charge or Galaxy Nexus.

Raghu

Aug 28, 2004
Calculation updated:
All this calculations are in "theory" of course, so don't quote me on that. Also, keep in mind this new phone has a bigger screen also.

The display power consumption laughs at your calculation.

ITHURTSWHENIP

Nov 30, 2011
Is that a four plus one quad like the Tegra 3? I find the companion core really helps with battery life, especially for media playback.

No it uses aSMP. It means the individual cores can go up and down in power or even shut down if needed depending on the task.

Ararat

Jul 21, 2007
Lol, 1.5x? Hilarious. You seem to somehow be under the impression that the SoC is the only thing in the phone draining the battery. I guess the display, and the flash memory run on air?

You can bet that the new screen will not use 20% less power than the old one, and more than likely it will use more given the large size.

I hope you're right, and that the phone somehow uses 20% less power than the gs2, but i doubt it.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Why would you even think like that when it's the screen that draws the most power?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I'm not sure if LTE is integrated into the new SoC like it is in Krait or not, but I know Samsung has had their own LTE baseband for chip for years. The Droid Charge and Galaxy Nexus uses Samsung baseband chips for LTE, unlike almost everyone else on the market that have to rely on Qualcomm and LG which only seems to rely on itself. Qualcomm, Samsung, and LG are the only companies that have LTE baseband chips.

At this point, whether it's integrated in the SoC or not doesn't matter much since they can always attach their LTE baseband chip from the Droid Charge or Galaxy Nexus.

Not true.

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004

I believe Samsung said in it's PR that each core can be independently clocked and shut off if not needed.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Calculation updated:
2,050mAh / (0.8 x 1,650mAh) = ~1.55x longer battery life while delivering 2x the processing power, Best case scenario.

2,050mAh / 1,650mAh = ~1.24x longer battery life while delivering 2x the processing power, Worst case scenario.
This worst case scenario is assuming that Samsung when claiming it draws 20% less power was using the new 2,050mAh battery in it's calculation which could inflate battery performance a bit because some of that "20% less power" Samsung mentioned could be accounted in the larger standard 2,050mAh battery. In that case there would be no need for the "0.8" part in the earlier equation.

My guess is it will fall somewhere between 1.24x to 1.55x longer battery life while delivering 2x the processing power of the Galaxy S II series.

Keep in mind that you can also underclock and undervolt your processor because that "2x the processing power" statement gives one a lot of room to maneuver.
You should also be able to underclock/undervolt your processor to "Galaxy S II like" performance using SetCPU, and your battery life would be 2.48x to 3.1x longer while delivering the same performance as last years Galaxy S II series.

i feel like the larger, higher res screen would negate some of that, so i'd take 10-15% off your estimates. I don't think we're going to see drastically improved battery life, but a slight improvement on the order of 10-15%

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005

Motorola makes it's own LTE baseband: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5198/motorola-droid-razr-review-a-better-clad-bionic/6