Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 628 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Redfire

May 15, 2021
The mainstream line has always had an ECC option in the name of Xeon E3/E. There's a reason they didn't do Xeons for Alder Lake. That they would put a single tile SPR on LGA 1700 and call that Xeon E makes the most sense.

Xeon-E is only launched for every other consumer generation. They didn't do one for Alder Lake because they launched one for Rocket Lake already.
CFL-R : Mehlow (Xeon E-22XX)
RKL-S : Tatlow (Xeon E-23XX)
RPL-S : Catlow (Xeon E-24XX?)

Just to be clear: the non-Xeon Alder Lake chips support ECC in W680 boards now. Why would they even need a LGA1700 Xeon anymore? Is a single SPR tile going to be that much more capable?

Support for ECC in regular Alder Lake chips replaces what was previously the Xeon W-1000 series, not the Xeon-E series. I'm not actually sure what the difference between the two is, but they're two separate product lines.

Something about Sapphire Rapids is broken. Cross your fingers and hope that they are at least able to ship some limited quantity now, and that they will get it shipping soon. Emerald Rapids, as sad as it may be, is little more than Sapphire Rapids with some improvements. Given how long Sapphire Rapids has been in development, it's entirely possible that Emerald Rapids may be close behind it, once Intel fixes the problems fundamental to tile-based server CPUs on 10ESF. It would really be better for Intel to mostly skip over Sapphire Rapids and move to the refresh product if possible.
Sapphire Rapids hasn't had an "excessive" amount of issues on a chip-level as far as I'm aware. Most of the issues have been related to the platform and validation. I don't believe it's a "fundemental" problem with tile-based CPUs on Intel 7. Emerald Rapids is coming out at earliest, in Q1-2023, quite a bit after Sapphire Rapids.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Xeon-E is only launched for every other consumer generation. They didn't do one for Alder Lake because they launched one for Rocket Lake already.
CFL-R : Mehlow (Xeon E-22XX)
RKL-S : Tatlow (Xeon E-23XX)
RPL-S : Catlow (Xeon E-24XX?)

No, they just didn't do one for Comet Lake, only Xeon W. Every gen previous to that has had one (which goes back to Xeon E3).

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
What is on the second picture? What are the "wings" on the side of SPR with HBM? Does those contain the same stuff, which is on the sides of regular non-HBM SPR, but here does not fit, cause of the HBM? Does that mean different socket?
The 2nd picture is a high-density package version of Meteorlake.
Just a guess: the "wings" on the side of the SPR w/ HBM are likely just additional substrate area for all of the stuff that got pushed out of the way due to the 4 stacks of HBM, which includes the capacitors and that FPGA die that was on the side of the non-HBM version of SPR.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Timmah!

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I can only assume the tiles align with Intel's presentation:
The SOC tile does match up with their presentation cartoons. But the question stems from the odd size of that large tile if it is the SOC. Alder Lake's SOC is just under 50 mm^2. The photos from Meteor Lake show a large tile just over 100 mm^2. If the large tile is the SOC, then why did it double in size? Someone in this thread hinted that there are also unannounced CPU cores in the SOC (in addition to the CPU tile)--but said so with no public evidence. I can't buy that until there is some sort of evidence. Or maybe Intel is adding something else that we don't yet know. Or Intel is using up old node capacity, but that seems highly doubtful.

The argument for it being the GPU is that it fits the rumored 192 EUs pretty well. 192 EUs is 6 times the 32 EUs of Alder Lake. The big tile is triple the size of Alder Lake's GPU. So, if Intel can find a node that is twice as dense as Intel 7 then it would perfectly fit the rumored 192 EUs.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The SOC tile does match up with their presentation cartoons. But the question stems from the odd size of that large tile if it is the SOC. Alder Lake's SOC is just under 50 mm^2.

Are you including the IO that's on the CPU die AND the PCH?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

That SoC tile is huge!

Meteor Lake is only 2+8? I was kind of expecting them to increase the core count.

There should be a 6+8 compute tile.

The SOC tile does match up with their presentation cartoons. But the question stems from the odd size of that large tile if it is the SOC.

Exactly! What did they put in there to make it so big?

Jul 27, 2020
Exactly! What did they put in there to make it so big?
Maybe it's just for illustration. That looks like a very weird chip to cool. CPU and GPU would produce more heat than the other two tiles, making the heat production very disproportionate in relation to the total available surface area.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Maybe it's just for illustration. That looks like a very weird chip to cool. CPU and GPU would produce more heat than the other two tiles, making the heat production very disproportionate in relation to the total available surface area.
It could be just for illustration, but they did go and make a physical tiled chip to let people photograph. That seems like a lot of work for an illustration. Since these publically shown examples are theoretically mobile or even ultramobile chips, there isn't that much heat to dissipate.

1652301132632.png

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
That would be a perfectly reasonable assumption. Unfortunately, reasonable does not mean correct, in this case.

I've said it before, but the big center die is SoC, right is GPU, upper left is CPU, and lower left is additional IO.

If the large tile is the SOC, then why did it double in size? Someone in this thread hinted that there are also unannounced CPU cores in the SOC (in addition to the CPU tile)--but said so with no public evidence. I can't buy that until there is some sort of evidence. Or maybe Intel is adding something else that we don't yet know.
It's more than just the PCH. It's basically everything except (most) CPU cores, GPU cores, and a little bit of the IO.

The argument for it being the GPU is that it fits the rumored 192 EUs pretty well. 192 EUs is 6 times the 32 EUs of Alder Lake.
I think the GPU in these images is 64EU (maybe 32?). Not 100% sure though. But definitely not 192EU, at any rate.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I think the GPU in these images is 64EU (maybe 32?). Not 100% sure though. But definitely not 192EU, at any rate.

Figure it has to be 96 at the very least. Remember it's supposedly using N3. While dumb, it does mean that it would be a double shrink+ compared to where they are now.

Reactions: Mopetar

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
2+8 is MTL-M, this SKU might not get 192 EUs. Pretty sure we will see a bigger GPU segmentation in this generation, even though I hope it's not a poor AMD segmentation where mainly dGPU SKUs get the fastest iGPU and the more useful iGPU SKUs for thin and light devices are downgraded.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Figure it has to be 96 at the very least. Remember it's supposedly using N3. While dumb, it does mean that it would be a double shrink+ compared to where they are now.
Where do you see N3 for MTL? And I think it's just too small to be anything more than 64EU.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The planned 2022 Meteor Lake was supposedly going to use N5 for iGPU tiles. No idea what Intel will be doing what with the delay to 2023.