FYI - Chase Freedom 10% Back

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Slickdeals is starting to be filled with too much shit. Basically, advertisers are paying the admin money to put up supposed "deals" on the frontpage and such. It's getting sad and pathetic, and I haven't bought anything there as of recent.

Fatwallet seems to have less of the bullshit overall.

As far as this deal goes.... I already have 10% off Amazon sadly. I have the Discover IT double cash-back promo, and Amazon is in their 5% list... Soo... yeah =[

Just got my new Discover IT card last night. But, I also have a Chase Freedom card, which I'll probably use instead of the Discover. It's linked to my Chase checking account, so makes things easier.

Nov 8, 2012
Just got my new Discover IT card last night. But, I also have a Chase Freedom card, which I'll probably use instead of the Discover. It's linked to my Chase checking account, so makes things easier.

Over the years I have shown a ton of appreciation for the Discover card. I have banked a TON of money on it, everything from a $200 sign-on, tons of $100 cash outs from 5% categories, $300 bonus for spending $2k+ for 5 months straight - and I didn't even spend $2k one month due to my card# having fraud transactions, they didn't rush ship it - so I was screwed as far as spending $2k that month. Called them up and explained, they said they would give it to me anyways if I finish it out.

Their categories are ALWAYS the best too. Chase seems to copy off Discover in general, but Citi has been hands down the worst in rotating categories.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Over the years I have shown a ton of appreciation for the Discover card. I have banked a TON of money on it, everything from a $200 sign-on, tons of $100 cash outs from 5% categories, $300 bonus for spending $2k+ for 5 months straight - and I didn't even spend $2k one month due to my card# having fraud transactions, they didn't rush ship it - so I was screwed as far as spending $2k that month. Called them up and explained, they said they would give it to me anyways if I finish it out.

Their categories are ALWAYS the best too. Chase seems to copy off Discover in general, but Citi has been hands down the worst in rotating categories.

I swear Discover and Chase work together so I always get 5% on something useful every quarter. And by that I mean stuff I actually get, not stuff I have to go out of my way for.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
This is a really good situation if you don't have Freedom or Sapphire yet. Get Sapphire for 50k points, second card for 5k points on first use, Freedom for $150 bonus, then transfer your Freedom points to Sapphire and use them for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards (for a 20% discount on point utilization).

55,000 points ($550 cash value or $687.50 in travel) plus $150 cashback plus whatever you earn via 10% back, all for ~10min of time.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
10% cash back on Amazon?! Good gravy...:eek:

Thanks for the heads up. This is going to be a merry Christmas for me after all.:p

Oct 9, 1999
i don't have a chase freedom card, but you just reminded me that i need to sign up for another south west card to get the free 50k pooints, and sign up my wife for it. i signed up for the chase sapphire and got the 40k points a couple weeks ago, so next up on my list was the southwest card.

what SW card has 50k points? only one i can find has 25k after you spend $1k.

great thread BTW, just upped my freedom to 10%. i'm about to fk amazon up in the next few weeks :D

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Wait, so how does this work with the Rewards card?

Spend $$$ on Amazon (or Zappos, and a few other select online retailers) between the period of Nov 23-Dec 31 and get 10% back of up to $1,500. The normal calendar this time of year has 5% back on Amazon. :thumbsup:

Oct 9, 1999
dumb question:

got the wife on board with this as we have a few music festivals next year and a mexico trip planned. i was going to sign up for sapphire today but confused if the points i earn this year will still count for next year or does the "year" start when you open the account?

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
dumb question:

got the wife on board with this as we have a few music festivals next year and a mexico trip planned. i was going to sign up for sapphire today but confused if the points i earn this year will still count for next year or does the "year" start when you open the account?

Huh? Your points don't expire as long as the account is open.

Oct 9, 1999
Huh? Your points don't expire as long as the account is open.

If I sign up for a sapphie card today I'm assuming I will have until 11/18/17 to accumulate points to go towards the companion pass, is that right? For some stupid reason I was thinking it started Jan-Dec.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Spend $$$ on Amazon (or Zappos, and a few other select online retailers) between the period of Nov 23-Dec 31 and get 10% back of up to $1,500. The normal calendar this time of year has 5% back on Amazon. :thumbsup:

I know, but I have a Marriots Rewards premier card, and not sapphire. Don't think it has the same cashback thingy, didn't see any promotions for it.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Amex has a $15 if you spend $60 on Amazon.

Like I need a reason to spend more there.....

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
If I sign up for a sapphie card today I'm assuming I will have until 11/18/17 to accumulate points to go towards the companion pass, is that right? For some stupid reason I was thinking it started Jan-Dec.

you need 100k points to get the companion pass. the companion pass is good for the current year and the next that you earn it in. So to get the best value you want your points to post in january of 2016. With the chase card you have something like 3 months to meet the minimum spend to earn the 50k bonus.

Companion pass is for the chase southwest cards. You need 100k points so you either sign up for two chase cards (premier + business). Both come with 50K points. Or you sign up for one and spend/manufactor spend 50k or you take a certain amount of flights to unlock the pass.

Last edited:

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Also $25 off $200 at Newegg.

newegg sells ebay gift cards. so you could buy an ebay gift card for 200. Use that gift card to buy a bestbuy gift card when they have a deal or 5x ebay bucks. Use that ebay gift card to buy a gamestop gift card when they have a deal or 5x ebay bucks. Use that gamestop gift card to buy amazon gift cards. Or a Steam link or animal crossing amiibos.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
Very nice.

Makes it more temping to build my new rig instead of waiting for Skylake-E. Crossing my fingers for decent deals on Xeon 12xx v5

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004

Sapphire doesn't count towards the companion pass. You need to get the Chase SouthWest cards.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
newegg sells ebay gift cards. so you could buy an ebay gift card for 200. Use that gift card to buy a bestbuy gift card when they have a deal or 5x ebay bucks. Use that ebay gift card to buy a gamestop gift card when they have a deal or 5x ebay bucks. Use that gamestop gift card to buy amazon gift cards. Or a Steam link or animal crossing amiibos.

That sounds a little complicated

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I never understand why points are worth more than cash for Chase Sapphire?

I mean, it might SAY that you are getting a $687.50 flight for the points - but when I pay for something with cash (and if you know anything about travel costs you know they RIDICULOUSLY fluctuate depending on the time/date) I shoot for the best possible price. Last I checked, using points costs the same no matter what.

If you have cash instead of points, you have the freedom to sit on your money and wait until the ideal time to buy (e.g. middle of the week, certain times, sales, etc...) - but when using points, the cost is usually the same? Or am I missing something?

Every flight I've booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards has been the same as the same flight through Google Flights/etc. They don't use a mileage system - they use a points per dollar system and then give you a 20% discount for point use.