FYI - Chase Freedom 10% Back

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
This is a really good situation if you don't have Freedom or Sapphire yet. Get Sapphire for 50k points, second card for 5k points on first use, Freedom for $150 bonus, then transfer your Freedom points to Sapphire and use them for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards (for a 20% discount on point utilization).

55,000 points ($550 cash value or $687.50 in travel) plus $150 cashback plus whatever you earn via 10% back, all for ~10min of time.

I never understand why points are worth more than cash for Chase Sapphire?

I mean, it might SAY that you are getting a $687.50 flight for the points - but when I pay for something with cash (and if you know anything about travel costs you know they RIDICULOUSLY fluctuate depending on the time/date) I shoot for the best possible price. Last I checked, using points costs the same no matter what.

If you have cash instead of points, you have the freedom to sit on your money and wait until the ideal time to buy (e.g. middle of the week, certain times, sales, etc...) - but when using points, the cost is usually the same? Or am I missing something?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, I think this thread belongs here. A lot more folks hit this forum than the Hot Deals. A lot are like me and only hit Hot Deals occasionally (if at all). This isn't so much a hot deal as a heads up! :cool:

And thanks, OP.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Yeah, I think this thread belongs here. A lot more folks hit this forum than the Hot Deals. A lot are like me and only hit Hot Deals occasionally (if at all). This isn't so much a hot deal as a heads up! :cool:

And thanks, OP.

Figured this as well. It's really unfortunate how the Hot Deals forum is on it's last legs. I've pretty much stopped going there too. Who was the member who used to win all the free sweepstakes stuff? I rarely see any sweepstakes stuff posted there anymore. Oh well. Happy shopping!

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Ahh, I do miss the quarterly rotating categories from Chase and the $1500 limit.

Nov 8, 2012
Figured this as well. It's really unfortunate how the Hot Deals forum is on it's last legs. I've pretty much stopped going there too. Who was the member who used to win all the free sweepstakes stuff? I rarely see any sweepstakes stuff posted there anymore. Oh well. Happy shopping!

I've never won (or even been notified) of winning a sweepstakes in my life. I mean even for measly cheesy shit, not family paid week of vacation.

What pisses me off is most sweepstakes these days allow you to enter once PER DAY for the life of the sweepstakes. Dude, I can hit "Enter Sweepstakes" button once after filling out the stupid form, but I don't have the fucking time to remember to go to it daily. That's just ridiculous. I'm sure someone builds bots or something to auto-enroll or something, so I just started giving up :(

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
I've never won (or even been notified) of winning a sweepstakes in my life. I mean even for measly cheesy shit, not family paid week of vacation.

What pisses me off is most sweepstakes these days allow you to enter once PER DAY for the life of the sweepstakes. Dude, I can hit "Enter Sweepstakes" button once after filling out the stupid form, but I don't have the fucking time to remember to go to it daily. That's just ridiculous. I'm sure someone builds bots or something to auto-enroll or something, so I just started giving up :(

There are multiple ways you can remind yourself to enter daily. I agree with you... It's not difficult, it's just annoying. I've 'won' 2 things in my life -- a SICK Castrol GTX go-kart from a giveaway at a local Kmart about 15 years ago and some backstage passes/meet and greet for Kenny Wayne Shephard at BB Kings place in NYC through Facebook back in June. If I don't win anything the rest of my life, I'm happy with those. :cool:

Nov 8, 2012
There are multiple ways you can remind yourself to enter daily. I agree with you... It's not difficult, it's just annoying. I've 'won' 2 things in my life -- a SICK Castrol GTX go-kart from a giveaway at a local Kmart about 15 years ago and some backstage passes/meet and greet for Kenny Wayne Shephard at BB Kings place in NYC through Facebook back in June. If I don't win anything the rest of my life, I'm happy with those. :cool:

Why play this stupid game of who can remember to go to the stupid website daily? Just make it fair on all fronts and if you enter the sweepstakes, you have a chance of winning. Cut the bullshit of entering once daily.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Why play this stupid game of who can remember to go to the stupid website daily? Just make it fair on all fronts and if you enter the sweepstakes, you have a chance of winning. Cut the bullshit of entering once daily.

Probably because they want you to stay connected - they are a business.

Oct 20, 2005
i don't have a chase freedom card, but you just reminded me that i need to sign up for another south west card to get the free 50k pooints, and sign up my wife for it. i signed up for the chase sapphire and got the 40k points a couple weeks ago, so next up on my list was the southwest card.

You have companion pass?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Geekbabe does pretty well at those.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
now to just hope the bike i want is still available in 6 days

Nov 8, 2012
You have companion pass?

I do. Opened up the Chase Southwest and the Chase Southwest Business cards back to back. Earned the companion pass mid this year, which leaves all of 2016 for free flights for the spouse. Best decision ever.

And when it runs out next year, I'll start opening the cards up under my wife's name. Rinse and repeat with me, etc.. year after year :D

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
i don't have a chase freedom card, but you just reminded me that i need to sign up for another south west card to get the free 50k pooints, and sign up my wife for it. i signed up for the chase sapphire and got the 40k points a couple weeks ago, so next up on my list was the southwest card.

Send them a secured message through the portal asking to match the current 50k offer. They'll do it.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004

I won an XFX 7800 GTX back in the day when they first came out and was $600-$700. If you search the forum, I made a post about it. Ever since then I always sign up for random stuff in the off chance that I win.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I never understand why points are worth more than cash for Chase Sapphire?

I mean, it might SAY that you are getting a $687.50 flight for the points - but when I pay for something with cash (and if you know anything about travel costs you know they RIDICULOUSLY fluctuate depending on the time/date) I shoot for the best possible price. Last I checked, using points costs the same no matter what.

If you have cash instead of points, you have the freedom to sit on your money and wait until the ideal time to buy (e.g. middle of the week, certain times, sales, etc...) - but when using points, the cost is usually the same? Or am I missing something?

I usually like to transfer my points over to a rewards partner, like Hyatt. 50k hyatt points can get you some nice hotel rooms.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
you can call them up and ask them to expedite the card shipment to you.
I have the card, the 10% cashback doesn't start for 6 days

Maybe that's who it was.... :hmm:

What's on everyone's shopping list on Amazon when this goes live? :D
I'm hoping there's a good paper white deal for black Friday to replace the one I lost. Think that one cost $45

In addition to the bike

Last edited: