FYI - Chase Freedom 10% Back

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
This is the right question. :cool:

In my case, the answer is that

1. I didn't think of it
2. I didn't know if that would work, i.e. that I'd get that 10% discount on the card purchase. However, after seeing posts about gift cards I decided to (nearly) max out a few minutes short of 2016.

Actually, I won't know for sure if it worked until I see my next statement from Chase.

Edit: I just went and looked at my account at Chase and the transaction date for my gift card purchase ($850) is 1/1/16, post date 1/3/16, so looks like I won't get the 10% credit! Damn. Amazon's site said that it would register within 5 minutes except in exceptional circumstances, something to that effect, so I went ahead and confirmed the purchase based on that info at ~11:48PM 12/31/15. Looks like I got burned there. I'm apt to not even have the 3% discount I would have gotten if I'd used my Amazon CC. :(

I guess I could call Chase and ask them why the transaction is dated 1/1/16 when I executed the purchase on 12/31/15. :confused: Or maybe call Amazon and ask them about all this and maybe get a refund if the transaction date can't be changed somehow (seems doubtful it could be changed). Argh.

I should have done the gift card but I didn't expect to spend the $1500 and I felt weird adding $1500 to the $600 I already had in gift card credit lol.

What time zone are you? You might have hit the cut off since you did it so last minute.

Here's mine, including my $210 gift card.

w06Q79D.png

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
This is the right question. :cool:

In my case, the answer is that

1. I didn't think of it
2. I didn't know if that would work, i.e. that I'd get that 10% discount on the card purchase. However, after seeing posts about gift cards I decided to (nearly) max out a few minutes short of 2016.

Actually, I won't know for sure if it worked until I see my next statement from Chase.

Edit: I just went and looked at my account at Chase and the transaction date for my gift card purchase ($850) is 1/1/16, post date 1/3/16, so looks like I won't get the 10% credit! Damn. Amazon's site said that it would register within 5 minutes except in exceptional circumstances, something to that effect, so I went ahead and confirmed the purchase based on that info at ~11:48PM 12/31/15. Looks like I got burned there. I'm apt to not even have the 3% discount I would have gotten if I'd used my Amazon CC. :(

I guess I could call Chase and ask them why the transaction is dated 1/1/16 when I executed the purchase on 12/31/15. :confused: Or maybe call Amazon and ask them about all this and maybe get a refund if the transaction date can't be changed somehow (seems doubtful it could be changed). Argh.

I got a response back from Chase on my NYE purchase with transaction date of 1/1. They just asked for a copy of the receipt showing the purchase being processed on 12/31 or earlier. We will see how that goes.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Dumb question. Looking at my gift card purchase on 12/31. My Chase activity shows a transaction date of 12/31 but a post date of 1/1. I'm guessing I'm good to go?

edit - nvm, looked up my rewards activity and I got the bonus

Last edited:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I bought $750 worth while this was live, and did all my normal purchases for the month not using the GC balance. Wasn't ready to throw down $1500. I looked up how much I spent all year in 2014 and it was under $1000.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Had a purchase date of 12/31 for a gift card with a chase transaction date of 1/1. Was not credited the 9% extra, sent them a message with a screenshot of the order w/ transaction date of NYE and was credited the 9%. Yay.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Had a purchase date of 12/31 for a gift card with a chase transaction date of 1/1. Was not credited the 9% extra, sent them a message with a screenshot of the order w/ transaction date of NYE and was credited the 9%. Yay.

sweet

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I thought about buying Amazon gift cards on NYE to max out the 10%. Glad I didn't. I don't buy much of high dollar items from Amazon since the sales tax.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I thought about buying Amazon gift cards on NYE to max out the 10%. Glad I didn't. I don't buy much of high dollar items from Amazon since the sales tax.

Think about it this way. the 10% negates the sales tax and you get Amazon's amazing customer service.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I got a response back from Chase on my NYE purchase with transaction date of 1/1. They just asked for a copy of the receipt showing the purchase being processed on 12/31 or earlier. We will see how that goes.
Yeah, please post back or at least PM me. I have an email from Amazon with timestamp 11:48PM 12/31/2015 documenting the gift card purchase. I could forward that to Chase. Is that what you mean by a receipt? Or are you getting a formal receipt from Amazon for that (online, I presume)?

You called Chase?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Gonna have to try that. You contacted them by phone and initiated that way?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Think about it this way. the 10% negates the sales tax and you get Amazon's amazing customer service.
I believe that if you buy things at Amazon that aren't fulfilled by Amazon and the fulfiller is out of state, you won't be charged your state tax. That's been my experience.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm on the phone with Chase right now, am getting resistance saying that the post date is 1/1/16. I have reiterated that I had no control over or understanding of when the transaction would post, that this was going on behind the scenes between Chase and Amazon and I feel that they should honor the transaction date as shown on my Amazon invoice. She puts me on hold, comes back after a few minutes and tries to tell me that their post date is what matters. I explain that I have an email composed with a screenshot of Amazon's receipt showing 12/31/2015 "Order placed" and just need an address to send it, I reiterate, yada yada. I'm getting nowhere with this woman and ask to talk to a supervisor. I'm now waiting an estimated 10 minutes plus... (background music...) :(

Edit: I get a supervisor and she says they have no facility for me to send them an email with the attached screenshot. I say I've been in communication with other people who had done so and gotten their credit. She says an email won't work, they won't do that, but I can fax them. She gives me the fax number and department and says they will get back to me with the determination. Hmm. FYI, the department is Correspondence and the fax # is 1-888-643-9628.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, I assume you sent them an email. A supervisor CSR there snowed me and said they couldn't accept an email with attached screen shot. Told me to fax it to the "Correspondence Department," which I did several days ago. I am in the same boat you were, 12/31 purchase of gift cart, transaction date showed as 1/1. I've gotten no response. :colbert:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

did you send the message through chase.com's messaging system? or if to an email/fax/whatever can you provide the address?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Well, I assume you sent them an email. A supervisor CSR there snowed me and said they couldn't accept an email with attached screen shot. Told me to fax it to the "Correspondence Department," which I did several days ago. I am in the same boat you were, 12/31 purchase of gift cart, transaction date showed as 1/1. I've gotten no response. :colbert:
Good luck to all of you.

General rules-of-thumb with credit cards:
1) They post a few days after the purchase. I've made thousands of credit card purchases and never once has it posted the day of the purchase.

2) They choose the category. My favorite example is if I get fast food at a local sporting goods store, it comes in as "women's clothing". They may have a few apparel items focused on women, but that is a huge stretch (and hard to explain if my wife ever sees it).

3) You are fighting an uphill battle since the fine print lets them choose #1 and #2 as they see fit.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
3) You are fighting an uphill battle since the fine print lets them choose #1 and #2 as they see fit.
Well, I figured it wasn't an uphill battle because another poster in this thread (RearAdmiral in post #30) indicated that they saw things his way and his situation appears to be identical to mine. I figure I'll call them tomorrow. I believe I was told I'd hear from them, but I haven't and it's been 3 days now, 4 days come tomorrow.
did you send the message through chase.com's messaging system? or if to an email/fax/whatever can you provide the address?
The CSR supervisor I spoke to (I think Monday) said I should fax my request to the Correspondence Department and gave me the fax number, 1-888-643-9628, and I did so.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Looking now in my Chase account I see that they have given me the 10% credit. I was told I'd be contacted, and assumed no action had been taken since I was not contacted. However, my points are there. :eek: :\

Next time I'll be sure to get my gift card early on, no sense waiting.

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Looking now in my Chase account I see that they have given me the 10% credit. I was told I'd be contacted, and assumed no action had been taken since I was not contacted. However, my points are there. :eek: :\

Cheers to Chase for fixing it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
anyone know, with the chase sapphire preferred card, if you rent a car that is 100% covered by points, will you still get the insurance benefit from the credit card?

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004

Wow, sorry I missed all of your posts! Should have PM'd me! I emailed them through chase's secure message feature in your account. I have always had success using that. Glad you got your points back.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
GD it I keep seeing this Chase Sapphire 50k point deal and am wondering if I should pull the trigger or not. I've already got the Freedom & Amazon card and fail to see the need for another but....... :(

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
GD it I keep seeing this Chase Sapphire 50k point deal and am wondering if I should pull the trigger or not. I've already got the Freedom & Amazon card and fail to see the need for another but....... :(

do you like free money?

if the answer is yes, get it. if the answer is no, you're a moron.

:p

i'm working on my 2nd southwest 50k bonus right now and once i have that, i will have over or very close to the 110k points needed for the companion pass that will last through 2017.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
do you like free money?

if the answer is yes, get it. if the answer is no, you're a moron.

:p

i'm working on my 2nd southwest 50k bonus right now and once i have that, i will have over or very close to the 110k points needed for the companion pass that will last through 2017.

please explain.