Caroline Kennedy for NY Senator -- anyone else offended?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: winnar111
The Democrats don't give a damn about Vietnam war starting, wiretapping, taxcutting John Kennedy's policies.

Wonder why they like his daughter.

"It is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now ... Cutting taxes now is not to incur a budget deficit, but to achieve the more prosperous, expanding economy which can bring a budget surplus."

? John F. Kennedy, Nov. 20, 1962, president's news conference
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As usual, winnar111 is clueless, citing some Kennedy quotes that is at best only partially true is like citing Reagan or GWB quotes that are also at best only partially true.

Different times call for different measures, and the one measure to now cite is the fact that JFK had a special Charisma able to bridge the partisan divide, and now Obama is showing a special amount of the same needed Charisma.

We now need a national unity rather than a divider like GWB&co, and borrowing from the Kennedy charisma with Caroline, makes her a viable Senate choice.

If the GOP does not like it, maybe they can blame it on their lack of ability to do anything but say to New York, piss on you, we got more red State votes than you do.

As we observe the Obama cabinet choices, Obama is bending over backwards to include everyone in a national unity government, and not saying piss on you is part of what Charisma is about.

Its not yet a done deal that Caroline will get the Senate nod, but any contention that Caroline is not as qualified is absurd.

Please feast on all the sour grapes you care too Winnar111, New York State is not
GOP territory now, and the GOP has no say in the matter. Get over it.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Lemon law

As we observe the Obama cabinet choices, Obama is bending over backwards to include everyone in a national unity government, and not saying piss on you is part of what Charisma is about.

Its not yet a done deal that Caroline will get the Senate nod, but any contention that Caroline is not as qualified is absurd.

Please feast on all the sour grapes you care too Winnar111, New York State is not
GOP territory now, and the GOP has no say in the matter. Get over it.

Oh, I really don't care about New York State. The place has gotten lost to insanity with their new fast food tax.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: dainthomas

The governor of Texas has about as much real power as the Queen of England. A trained chimp could do that job.

and he did pretty well at it

Originally posted by: palehorse
...and here we have a few wonderful words from the guy making the choice:

"That is why, in the state budget I presented last Tuesday, I proposed a tax on sugared beverages like soda. Research has demonstrated that soft-drink consumption is one of the main drivers of childhood obesity."

"If we are to succeed in reducing childhood obesity, we must reduce consumption of sugared beverages. That is the purpose of our proposed tax. We estimate that an 18 percent tax will reduce consumption by five percent."
-- David Paterson, Governor of NY, December 18th, 2008.

Combating social and health issues through increased taxation!? :confused: What a douchebag... how can we expect a reasonable or intelligent decision from someone so ridiculously ignorant?

He's certainly blind in more ways than one...

Good luck New York! :laugh:
what happens when they find that diet beverages other things with artificial sweeteners, which train the body not to increase metabolism when consuming sweet things, actually cause more obesity than sugary things?

Dec 10, 2005
I hope Paterson is just letting Kennedy parade around the state and in the end just appoint someone like Cuomo instead. I'm tired of NYS sending Senators that don't give a crap about NY. Look at Hilary, pushing for government flood insurance for Floridians - and who would end up paying for it, NYers.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Regardless if Caroline gets the Senate appointment or not, the usual selection criteria is to choose someone who has both high name recognition and more importantly, someone who can make rich donors open up their checkbooks to fill party coffers.

Julius Shark

Banned
Dec 28, 2008
I think old Caroline needs a few more sessions with the hubby doin? the ?wild thang?. Dig?

She won?t get this gig.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: ebaycj
Originally posted by: DarrelSPowers
I'd hit it.

Really???

i find it interesting that the bbc has removed the period from after 'ms'

I'd guess an editor caught the mistake. The title "Ms" isn't supposed to have a period after it. Unlike "Mr." and "Mrs.", "Ms" is not an abreviation.

But d@mn, she was catching a ton of critisism in the MSM last night for that horribly inarticulate performance.

I'm finding the choice of a replacement for Hillary's seat to look more like some kind of celebrity/American idol thing as opposed to the serious business is should be. I hope that's just a mistaken impression given by the MSM.

I'd hope the Gov of NY would proceed logically, like establishing objectives (e.g., what legislation is NY most interested in seeing passed) and then developing criteria/qualifications (e.g., proven legislative succes) in making the selection. Only then moving on to the task of examining and ranking candidates.

Fern

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Forget it, she's toast.

BLOOMBERG AIDE: KENNEDY LOBBYING 'WASN'T WORKING' By DAVID SEIFMAN and FREDERIC U. DICKER December 30, 2008 -- Mayor Bloomberg's top political aide is pulling back on his lobbying campaign to propel Caroline Kennedy into the U.S. Senate because "it wasn't working," according to sources. "Everything was backfiring," said one source of the intense behind-the-scenes effort by Deputy Mayor Kevin Sheekey. "He's not out front any more." The source said that Sheekey had hoped to round up overwhelming support for Kennedy very quickly so she would become the inevitable choice when Gov. Paterson selects the successor to Hillary Clinton. Clinton has been nominated to become Secretary of State in the Obama Administration. "They tried to take everybody else out," said the source. "It didn't work. They were out there way, way too early." In addition to promoting Kennedy, Sheekey also set her up with Knickerbocker SKD, the political consulting firm that also counts Bloomberg as a client. Kennedy, a political novice, didn't help matters when she started granting interviews that demonstrated her inexperience, according to the source. "She wasn't prepped enough," said the source. "She wasn't ready to do this."

This was never anything more than an attempt by the top tier of Manhattan society to get one of their own into power as a consolation prize for tanking the entire U.S. economy.

If Caroline Kennedy is qualified to be a U.S. Senator then so is every other mother with a daughter at Brearley or Chapin.

The whole idea IS a gross insult to millions of hard working New Yorkers of all economic classes who had the misfortune to be born without the last name of Kennedy.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Woofmeister
-snip-

Oouch!

That sounds bad.

I wonder if I'll hear calls for her to *drop out* tonight on the MSM?

Fern

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Uh you know, I am offended, you know. She's like Bush you know. A Blueblood - ivy league- ignorant - can't talk, umm you know - child of privilege and dynasty, you know , who like, has a right, like to rule us, like commoners, you know..

Estrella

Jan 29, 2006
doesn't matter if how you were born. it matters if you are electable. why be offended?

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Estrella
doesn't matter if how you were born. it matters if you are electable. why be offended?

Because she's not being elected, she's being appointed. If she wants to be a U.S. Senator so badly, let her run for it.

Hell, she could still run in 2010, but that would mean visiting parts of New York other than Manhattan and the Hamptons so I wouldn't hold my breath.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I think its funny Palin is way more qualified than kennedy and people get pissed when its brought up kennedy isnt qualified. bwhahahahahahahah

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Zebo
Uh you know, I am offended, you know. She's like Bush you know. A Blueblood - ivy league- ignorant - can't talk, umm you know - child of privilege and dynasty, you know , who like, has a right, like to rule us, like commoners, you know..

:thumbsup:

hell yea fuck the kennedys. they have been in politics for way way way too long. for the life of me i have no idea how Ted has been in office for so long.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
ASk why the press won't use her married name. If it's not about being the daughter of a dead president... then stop with the Kenedy name already and use her legal married name or full hyphenated name.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..as a member of the lucky sperm club and has a chite load of money, supports secular progressive mania. Isn't that reason enough for the liberals to give her anything she wants??

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
As a Republican... appointing Caroline will just make it that much easier for the Republicans to win that seat in 2010.

For a party that just won the White House and large majorities in both houses of congress the Democrats seem determined to screw it all up.

1. Have corrupt governor try to sell one Senate seat.
2. Have another governor appoint a totally unqualified person to another senate seat.

Now all we need is for the governor of Delaware to appoint Biden's son to his senate seat.

Jeeez, what a tard....

Like Bush Sr didn't have any thing to do with handing him the presidents seat?

Get a grip and go back to bed...

It's all a bunch of BS. What next? Buba bush retard for 2010? I bet your foolish enough to vote him in?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ericlp
It's all a bunch of BS. What next? Bubba bush retard for 2010? I bet your foolish enough to vote him in?
FWIW, Jeb Bush appears both intelligent and articulate, and shows every sign of being as utterly competent as his brother George is not. Were he not cursed by the "W" legacy, he would be a reasonable Republican nominee for president.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Originally posted by: ericlp
It's all a bunch of BS. What next? Bubba bush retard for 2010? I bet your foolish enough to vote him in?
FWIW, Jeb Bush appears both intelligent and articulate, and shows every sign of being as utterly competent as his brother George is not. Were he not cursed by the "W" legacy, he would be a reasonable Republican nominee for president.
If he name was Jeb Smith he would be an almost certain nominee and would have a really good chance of winning as well.

Anyone who lives in Florida and saw Jeb in action would know what I am talking about. The guy sounds confident and in charge, especially during the yearly Hurricane drill.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Lets see if I can grasp the Jeb Bush appeal in Florida, his secret is boffo hurricane drills, but that is Florida which is one State out of 50. When most of us remember Jeb as the idiot that mis used the power of government to keep a brain dead woman alive indefinitely against the rulings of the law and courts. And when Jeb sold the idea to the GOP in Washington, they called a special session of congress, only to give up the idea abruptly when they realized they were decidedly on the wrong side of public opinion.

In terms of Caroline, she is exercising the same right as any other New York citizen by asking to be appointed to Hillary's seat. And she is touring New York State taking her case to the people with no guarantee she will get the appointment. To some extent she may have to have her opinions and positions compared to others, but its not going to be a cake walk six year free ride for anyone.

Whoever wins, then have to win a special election in 2010 open to R's and D's and I's, and then the Senate term won by Hillary in 2006 expires in 2012, so another election to win in 2012.