AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 193 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mattiasnyc

Mar 30, 2017
Thanks to both of you.

I probably should have added or clarified the following:

- I've built / assembled several machines before without major issues, so that doesn't bother or scare me. But overclocking is new.

- I do content creation and the reason I got a 1700 is its value right now, and because I want to look into two types of work. If I continue doing only the one then a modest overclock is fine (i.e. the 3.5-3.7 you speak of, roughly), and if I get paid doing the other type of work it'll warrant an upgrade to Threadripper even if I take a hit on this system.

- Currently running 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 at 3200.

- Windows 10 x64

In other words; modest overclock using stock cooler is fine.

However;

Because I don't want to stress the parts 24/7/52 (or, 24/365) I was wondering if any of the softwares are a good way to set up profiles and just enable OC when needed. I know AMD has its software which I installed already, and then ASUS has its own AI Suite 3 which I haven't installed yet. I'm comfortable using the UEFI to set it up, but I'd rather be able to enable/disable easily and quickly.

Preferences between the ASUS suite or AMD Ryzen Master?

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Thanks to both of you.

I probably should have added or clarified the following:

- I've built / assembled several machines before without major issues, so that doesn't bother or scare me. But overclocking is new.

- I do content creation and the reason I got a 1700 is its value right now, and because I want to look into two types of work. If I continue doing only the one then a modest overclock is fine (i.e. the 3.5-3.7 you speak of, roughly), and if I get paid doing the other type of work it'll warrant an upgrade to Threadripper even if I take a hit on this system.

- Currently running 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 at 3200.

- Windows 10 x64

In other words; modest overclock using stock cooler is fine.

However;

Because I don't want to stress the parts 24/7/52 (or, 24/365) I was wondering if any of the softwares are a good way to set up profiles and just enable OC when needed. I know AMD has its software which I installed already, and then ASUS has its own AI Suite 3 which I haven't installed yet. I'm comfortable using the UEFI to set it up, but I'd rather be able to enable/disable easily and quickly.

Preferences between the ASUS suite or AMD Ryzen Master?

Honestly, I wouldn't use either. If you're going to overclock, then leave it overclocked. If it's mission critical, don't overclock at all, because even after stress testing and passing it can fail and corrupt stuff. UEFI/BIOS overclock will always be the best and safest way to overclock. All in all, even at stock the chip is great and doesn't need to be overclocked.

And once you start overclocking on the 1700 with stock cooler, you're going to have some temp swings. Mid 40's to low 50's idle usually. Unless you somehow get a super magic chip as well. My 1700 is still running strong at 3.9 with 1.3v. But then again, I got this back in April. Not sure how well the chips are doing now.

mattiasnyc

Mar 30, 2017
Ok, I understand what you're saying, but I'd like to know a bit more about why you're saying it - and again; I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me...

The ASUS suite for example supposedly is using the software in windows to control UEFI. That's at least the description I saw elsewhere. So in a sense that would be like tweaking UEFI, just done in Windows. If that's still not a good option for controlling settings I'd like to know why, more specifically.

And as for why I wouldn't leave it OC'd; well, if there's a concern over the boards longevity when pushing more electricity through it when it's overclocked then I wouldn't mind testing a stable OC and then enabling it when and if I need more capacity. That to me seems to make sense. So in other words, what are the reasons you wouldn't recommend alternating between stock/low settings and OC?

EDIT: right now on stock/idle it's about 1500-1700MHz and 35 Celsius (it's cold here in NY... and open case right now while setting up)....

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Stock/idle shouldn't be downclocking that low. Even with that board. I think it's a BIOS problem. Have you updated? And even used the AMD Chipset drivers with Ryzen balanced power plan?

mattiasnyc

Mar 30, 2017
I updated the BIOS early in the build of this, using ASUS' own update utility. I confirmed in BIOS it was accomplished and a late version. I recently installed other drivers, including the AMD chipset drivers. The power plan in Windows is set to "balanced". Should I set it elsewhere & is there a problem with it being clocked that low? Seems like it wouldn't be a bad thing.... (?)

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
EDIT: right now on stock/idle it's about 1500-1700MHz and 35 Celsius (it's cold here in NY... and open case right now while setting up)....

The normal idle clock with the "Balanced" power plan should be 1550MHz (100x15.5). So that's perfectly normal.

Stock/idle shouldn't be downclocking that low. Even with that board. I think it's a BIOS problem. Have you updated? And even used the AMD Chipset drivers with Ryzen balanced power plan?

See above. If you use the "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan, you'd get idle clocks reported as 2700MHz (100x27). That's perfectly normal too. Everything is working as it should.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Hmmm, my 1700X shows that it is running at 3500 all the time in the AMD Ryzen Master app. But the temps are quite low- like 35deg, so I doubt it is really running at 3500. Task Manager shows CPU at 1%, CPU-Z shows it running at 3500.

mattiasnyc

Mar 30, 2017
Also, I forgot to mention - I didn't randomly pick this board (ASUS prime x370-a). I wanted PCI slots for a legacy pro-audio card I use for work, and on top of that I wanted one x16 3.0 and one x4 2.0 minimum, as well as more than 4 SATA. And that left me with this board. I knew it wasn't the overclockers' recommendation and that VRMs weren't top-notch, but the other needs were more important ultimately.... in case anyone cared or was wondering...

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Hmmm, my 1700X shows that it is running at 3500 all the time in the AMD Ryzen Master app. But the temps are quite low- like 35deg, so I doubt it is really running at 3500. Task Manager shows CPU at 1%, CPU-Z shows it running at 3500.

It is probably at 3500. Those temps are in line when not at load.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Not many boards with legacy PCI slots anymore. Gotta make do with what you find.

Of course, if you really, really need a PCI slot, adaptors from PCIe do exist. I don't even think any chipsets have native legacy PCI anymore. The last I'm sure of is AMDs 900-series.

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Slot-Extension/PCI-Express-to-PCI-Adapter-Card~PEX1PCI1

Its never guaranteed to work 100% correctly though. Some cards and boards just don't like PCI bridges.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
It is probably at 3500. Those temps are in line when not at load.

So is it supposed to be idled down when it's not loaded?

Edit: OK, it was set to high performance- when I changed it to balanced, it idles down to 2200 ans 32deg.

Last edited:

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Not many boards with legacy PCI slots anymore. Gotta make do with what you find.

I just bought 2 Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H boards for some video surveillance servers I'm building and they have PCI slots. Don't know how many watts it's rated for but it says it supports all Ryzen CPUs.

mattiasnyc

Mar 30, 2017

Kind'a true. More boards than one might think though. The problem for me really is that most boards with legacy PCI seem to use the B350, and because of that they either provide only 4 SATA ports (I need more) and/or drop the second physical x16 from x4 2.0 to x1 because of some sharing. So.... To me it was either splurge and go x399, which doubles the cost for mobo/cpu/memory, or find the most convenient 'cheap' solution.

So far I'm happy with my upgrade. Quite a bit actually.

Of course, if you really, really need a PCI slot, adaptors from PCIe do exist. I don't even think any chipsets have native legacy PCI anymore. The last I'm sure of is AMDs 900-series.

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Slot-Extension/PCI-Express-to-PCI-Adapter-Card~PEX1PCI1

Its never guaranteed to work 100% correctly though. Some cards and boards just don't like PCI bridges.

Yep. One issue I've read about is the supply of electricity not being sufficient on some adapters. I simply felt last week that I wanted minimum hassle, and it was worth just getting this board and if the VRMs are a bit weak then that's fine. By the time I'm sufficiently annoyed by not being able to run my 1700 at 4.xGHz or whatever I'll have justified upgrading to Threadripper anyway....

JerYnkFan

Apr 18, 2006
Finally bit and decided to upgrade from my i5-2500K. Got combo deal from Newegg for Ryzen 5 1600, ASRock AB350 Pro4 and G.Skill 2400 DDR4. Will reuse my PSU and Nvidia 760GTX GPU plus SSDs and 1TB WD drive. Only game I really play these days is SWTOR, but, mainly upgraded to build a couple of VM boxes to help learn active directory. First new system in years so I am excited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: lightmanek

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
Look what lady luck brought to my doors for Christmas:

fbAwr7X.jpg

I know, nothing special, just Ryzen R5 1600 on some Gigabyte motherboard. Everything was going well, installing Windows, drivers and stuff, then I decided to stress test this PC I was building for a friend and this happened:
9DTmSll.jpg

:D
CPU is stable at everything I've thrown at it, even when overclocked to 3.8GHz on boxed cooler. From what I've seen from temps and vCore required for OC, this CPU is matching my R7 1700 and should do 4.0GHz+ with proper cooling.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
That's crazy. Could be quite the collectors item. Does it detect 8 cores in the bios though?

Yes, it does! Before I gave this systemz away, I've tried CPU in ASUS B350 Prime board for sanity check and it also detected 8 cores and 16 threads. It's funny to read in BIOS System Information tab: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor; 8 cores running at 3.7GHz :D

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Yes, it does! Before I gave this systemz away, I've tried CPU in ASUS B350 Prime board for sanity check and it also detected 8 cores and 16 threads. It's funny to read in BIOS System Information tab: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor; 8 cores running at 3.7GHz :D

I wonder how many more are out there like yours... probably at least a batch of them.

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
:p i just hope some poor folks that ordered a 1700 are not getting a 6 core xD , but damm let the the product number batch hunt begin.

msferre

Dec 4, 2017
Hi, all - I hope this is the right place to mention this. I recently built this computer:

GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) AM4 AMD X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 8-Core 3.4 GHz (3.8 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 95W YD170XBCAEWOF Desktop Processor
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

However - with Windows 10 installed, I'm having trouble with a BSOD. The error in question is Driver Power State Failure. Now, it happens in the following circumstance -

I turn on the computer.
When it reaches the login screen on W10, all I have to do is wait one minute or so (regardless of me logging in or not at all) before the above BSOD shows up. Then it restarts, then I have to wait a couple of minutes before the BIOS screen shows up again, then the W10 login screen appears. It's fine after that.

So it's every time I start up the computer after it powered down.

One of my friends thinks it has to do with Ryzen being too new for Windows 10 to adapt to. Is he right? What do you think is happening? Thank you all!

An update - I didn't do anything, and then this week, it seems to have corrected itself. I no longer get restarts. Might have been Windows 10 doing updates on its own. Fingers crossed that this continues!

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I'd seen people stating that 2x4GB memory configurations on Ryzen were a waste of time because there is no equivalent of Samsung B-die for 4Gb ICs. Well, it appears that isn't entirely the case.

A well-binned set of Samsung E-die (in this case Team T-Force Xtreem 3733 CL17) is running 3600 16-18-18-38 1T on 1.38V (may require less, haven't finished long-term testing) on a MSI B350 Gaming Pro mATX motherboard using AGESA 1.0.0.4a. AIDA64 latency is ~70ns.

My next step will be to test a newer UEFI/AGESA and see if 3733 is possible (I doubt it, 3600 is probably max without BCLK adjustment) - or if I can tighten timings at 3600. So for people on a strict budget or people who don't need 16GB (I plan to turn this rig into a dedicated streaming box) it appears Samsung E-die may be a viable option for 8GB RAM.