AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 191 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Update the BIOS then we can tackle the OC. Depending on what version you are on it might change the layout and function.

Reactions: seafox6686

seafox6686

Oct 13, 2017
Update the BIOS then we can tackle the OC. Depending on what version you are on it might change the layout and function.
ok updated BIOS. managed 3.7ghz at 1.25v but with amd cool n quiet disabled for sometime before resetting to defaults to start afresh.Now no matter what i do now the CPU is stuck at 2.8ghz . same story again. also isnt cool n quiet supposed to increase life of CPU? should I disable that?

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
ok updated BIOS. managed 3.7ghz at 1.25v but with amd cool n quiet disabled for sometime before resetting to defaults to start afresh.Now no matter what i do now the CPU is stuck at 2.8ghz . same story again. also isnt cool n quiet supposed to increase life of CPU? should I disable that?

You shouldn't have to disable anything. Unlike Intel overclocking, Ryzen doesn't get unstable with it's power management features enabled.

If your Ryzen is getting stuck at a clockrate it usually because whatever you are doing to voltage(or maybe it's a BIOS bug) isn't the right way. I've experienced that with trying to change the VID instead of using offset(different motherboard though). Reset your BIOS to defaults using the jumper or button on your motherboard, then pull the CMOS battery for 10 seconds. That should get you out of what sounds like a BIOS softcrash.

Just so we are on the same page you are in the OC menu. You set the CPU Frequency to some value and then you set the CPU Core Voltage to some value?

seafox6686

Oct 13, 2017
Yes I am in the OC menu and i have set frequency to 3.7ghz and voltage to 1.25v. Btw if i set voltage as auto, I can easily get to 3.7ghz. Is auto algorithm harmful in long run? I read somewhere the auto might push the voltage beyond acceptable limits ?

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Yes I am in the OC menu and i have set frequency to 3.7ghz and voltage to 1.25v. Btw if i set voltage as auto, I can easily get to 3.7ghz. Is auto algorithm harmful in long run? I read somewhere the auto might push the voltage beyond acceptable limits ?

MSI must have a bug in the BIOS then. I don't own one of their boards, but their forums indicate that people have overclocked successfully, but some people have issues like yours. Set it to auto. Then when in windows install Ryzen Master, HWMonitor, or HWInfo64 to check voltages. You could also overclock with Ryzen Master. It will definitely work.

seafox6686

Oct 13, 2017
I have now set it to auto for now and hwinfo64 shows voltage max 1.24v after 10 mins of prime95. i feel msi' s auto voltage logic is good enough.
BF1 after 1 hour showed max 64 degrees as well.
Meanwhile lemme head over to msi forums and check for workaround.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I have now set it to auto for now and hwinfo64 shows voltage max 1.24v after 10 mins of prime95. i feel msi' s auto voltage logic is good enough.
BF1 after 1 hour showed max 64 degrees as well.
Meanwhile lemme head over to msi forums and check for workaround.

That should be more than good for gaming. Where you need manual voltage is when you want 24x7 stress test stability.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
The procedure I like best. Download the "bios" version of the bios, and put it on a usb memory stick. Then boot to bios (in default settings), then use the bios utility to flash. On my =ASRock, I have to press F6 at the post screen to get this to work.

I know you've mentioned you have a Taichi mobo, was that for TR and Ryzen, or do you just have the TR rig? If I pickup a Ryzen rig for BF I want a mobo that can safely push a 1700/1700x 100% load on 7 cores mining XMR or GRC 24/7 for many many years. It will also be a media and minecraft server for my wife and kids.

Thoughts on choice of mobos? 8 Sata ports is a must which really limits things.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I know you've mentioned you have a Taichi mobo, was that for TR and Ryzen, or do you just have the TR rig? If I pickup a Ryzen rig for BF I want a mobo that can safely push a 1700/1700x 100% load on 7 cores mining XMR or GRC 24/7 for many many years. It will also be a media and minecraft server for my wife and kids.

Thoughts on choice of mobos? 10 Sata ports is a must which really limits things.
I have 3 Taichi's. 2 TR and one Ryzen. From all I have read (and experienced) they are the best, or tied with the best. Not sure on how many sata ports it has, but you could add a card. As far as load, all three of mine are at 100%load 24/7/365. No failures so far, and I don't expect any,

Just looked it up. The Ryzen Taichi has 10 sata ports. Most likely the TR also. And with the upcoming $800 for a 1950X I would go that way.

Edit: and the Ryzen is $179 AR at newegg right now.

Last edited:

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

Thoughts on choice of mobos? 8 Sata ports is a must which really limits things.
Asrock's site says the Taichi has 10 SATA ports.

Asrock X370 Taichi

Reactions: ozzy702

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I still have yet to build an ITX Ryzen but it's still on my to do list... was looking at the B350 board from ASRock a few days ago. doesn't seem like any new boards are going to be introduced at this point.

I think I would likely use the R3 1200 and replace one of the A10-7970 APU, though I finally got the display drivers on Linux dialed in for that.

Reactions: Drazick

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
I still have yet to build an ITX Ryzen but it's still on my to do list... was looking at the B350 board from ASRock a few days ago. doesn't seem like any new boards are going to be introduced at this point.

I think I would likely use the R3 1200 and replace one of the A10-7970 APU, though I finally got the display drivers on Linux dialed in for that.

Asus strix ITX?
X370
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X370-I-GAMING/
B350
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-I-GAMING/

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm torn. I have one (my first) Ryzen R5 1600 on water, 120mm MasterLiquid Lite 120. I had issues, mostly down to case cooling, trying to use the stock cooler to OC to 3.6 or 3.8. Although, there isn't room in that case for a 240mm AIO, and the case cooling is bad, so VRMs heating up is an issue.

I've got a few more rigs, but they are using the stock Wraith Spire cooler. Those are in mid-towers, with 120mm intake and exhaust, and they have good "flow-through", so they will OC on the stock coolers, at least to mine on.

I found that the 120mm water was basically barely NOT enough, for sustained full distributed-computing loads. Of which, I have my doubts about the other similar rigs running the stock coolers too.

I've got a nice case with a plexi side window, and takes a 240mm Rad in front, that would work well with the two 240mm MasterLiquid Lite 240 units I picked up, if I feel like rebuilding.

I guess, I'm just not certain how I want these rigs to look. I don't actually NEED all of them on water, it would just be a "thing to do", I guess. My "main" Ryzen rig does have water, to OC, for gaming (better ST performance), but the other rigs are just for crunching.

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
F10 Update AGESA 1.0.7.2a for for new upcoming processors , out for gigabyte gaming 3 , anyone tried it yet , so seams to be true the rumor the jump was a lot bigger and redesinging their bios.

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
Anyone knows why I get 40 Q-code on C6H while cold booting normally? Sometimes from cold boost 24, and after restart always 24.
Even with 40 Q code works perfectly.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
yea the asus site is typically dodgy for me for some reason.

came up this morning when I tried it again, I have Comcast also

msferre

Dec 4, 2017
Hi, all - I hope this is the right place to mention this. I recently built this computer:

GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) AM4 AMD X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 8-Core 3.4 GHz (3.8 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 95W YD170XBCAEWOF Desktop Processor
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

However - with Windows 10 installed, I'm having trouble with a BSOD. The error in question is Driver Power State Failure. Now, it happens in the following circumstance -

I turn on the computer.
When it reaches the login screen on W10, all I have to do is wait one minute or so (regardless of me logging in or not at all) before the above BSOD shows up. Then it restarts, then I have to wait a couple of minutes before the BIOS screen shows up again, then the W10 login screen appears. It's fine after that.

So it's every time I start up the computer after it powered down.

One of my friends thinks it has to do with Ryzen being too new for Windows 10 to adapt to. Is he right? What do you think is happening? Thank you all!

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
msferre, Make sure that you don't install any of the Gigabyte software off the driver disk. A lot of their software is known to cause issues. Just install the drivers only.

Also, try running your ram at 2133MHz as well.

msferre

Dec 4, 2017
msferre, Make sure that you don't install any of the Gigabyte software off the driver disk. A lot of their software is known to cause issues. Just install the drivers only.

Also, try running your ram at 2133MHz as well.

I don't think I've installed any Gigabyte stuff - but I'm not sure how to "run" my ram at a certain speed?

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Hi, all - I hope this is the right place to mention this. I recently built this computer:

GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) AM4 AMD X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 8-Core 3.4 GHz (3.8 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 95W YD170XBCAEWOF Desktop Processor
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

However - with Windows 10 installed, I'm having trouble with a BSOD. The error in question is Driver Power State Failure. Now, it happens in the following circumstance -

I turn on the computer.
When it reaches the login screen on W10, all I have to do is wait one minute or so (regardless of me logging in or not at all) before the above BSOD shows up. Then it restarts, then I have to wait a couple of minutes before the BIOS screen shows up again, then the W10 login screen appears. It's fine after that.

So it's every time I start up the computer after it powered down.

One of my friends thinks it has to do with Ryzen being too new for Windows 10 to adapt to. Is he right? What do you think is happening? Thank you all!

From what you are describing, it doesn't sound like a fresh Windows 10 install. Am I correct in this assumption?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I don't think I've installed any Gigabyte stuff - but I'm not sure how to "run" my ram at a certain speed?

right after you turn the machine on you'll want to enter the BIOS (typically accomplished by striking the DEL or F2 key). that should get you into the board's controls and you can set some manual options there. however, for troubleshooting purposes I would suggest leaving the defaults and only attempt to load a memory profile for now. the OS should have no problem with the processor at all--or any of the other hardware for that matter.

once you get it to boot, you may need to restart it again because windows is going to want to load drivers for the devices. that's typically fine, but I would still insert the driver disk and run only the drivers (as previously stated) to tie up loose ends.

msferre

Dec 4, 2017
From what you are describing, it doesn't sound like a fresh Windows 10 install. Am I correct in this assumption?

It's fresh - the computer guys installed it themselves.

right after you turn the machine on you'll want to enter the BIOS (typically accomplished by striking the DEL or F2 key). that should get you into the board's controls and you can set some manual options there. however, for troubleshooting purposes I would suggest leaving the defaults and only attempt to load a memory profile for now. the OS should have no problem with the processor at all--or any of the other hardware for that matter.

once you get it to boot, you may need to restart it again because windows is going to want to load drivers for the devices. that's typically fine, but I would still insert the driver disk and run only the drivers (as previously stated) to tie up loose ends.

This is making me twitchy since I still have slight trauma (LOL) from the previous BSODs I had with this, while setting this up. Also, while I'm not too shabby, this is slightly above my pay grade. I'll do some thinking over this. Thanks!