You are not a man if you don't own a knife

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I don't agree with the OP about being a man, but I do carry a knife almost everywhere I go. Different ones for different attires. Just seems like there are always uses for it, and have done so forever now.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Only an idiot brings a knife to a gunfight, if you live in the US, it's always a gunfight...

If you know your way around such things...being "the guy with a knife at a gunfight" can be the winning move...IF you know how to use it to your advantage. If not...
shot-in-head-1.gif

Once upon a time...in a life far, far away...I'd have liked my chances.

I have the classic Buck folding hunter, and I don't use it either. I've had it >30 years, and have only sharpened it once :^D

My FiL gave me a Buck folding hunter before he died 30 years ago. He told me, "Every time you sharpen this...you'll think of me and cuss me." :biggrin: He was right.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I own a bunch of knives. I bought each one with "Oh look, this will be perfect to carry with me as a general utility type knife for all those times I need to cut stuff but don't have a knife on me" in my head. Then I just forget the damn thing at home like I did all the rest.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I carry a small folding utility knife with me all the time as I'm always using it, but I don't have any other knives.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Unless you work at a job that you actually need a knife, I don't see why someone would literally need to carry a knife with them 24/7. Need to open a box at home? Sure grab a knife. Out and about? I see no need for it at all. I have tools in my car if I need that.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Unless you work at a job that you actually need a knife, I don't see why someone would literally need to carry a knife with them 24/7. Need to open a box at home? Sure grab a knife. Out and about? I see no need for it at all. I have tools in my car if I need that.

I dunno. I run into enough situations where I wish I could just reach into my pocket and grab a knife to understand it completely. I use knives at work all the time, but they're specially designed for the particular application I'm using them for. I rarely find need for a pocket knife at work because there are plenty of knives always at hand in the area where I would use them.

It's outside of work, when I'm fiddling with something random that I need to cut and realize that I didn't bring a pocket knife, that I truly see the utility of making a habit of always slipping one in my pocket every morning. I HATE having to drop what I'm doing to go hunt any implement that I forgot to bring with me, much less a pocket knife that I should be trained to always have on me by now.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, you really need to have at least a Swiss Army Knife on you when possible. They just come in handy.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Have a SAK Huntsman II for most EDC. The wood saw is pretty damn sweet, IMO.

Also have a SAK Classic SD when dressing nicely.

Keychain has a FRED w/paperclip.

And I'm always prepared to hum the MacGyver theme as needed.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Your darn tootin you don't need to spend $1000 or even $500. I only spent $150 on the Miyabi Artisan SG2 8" gyuto and it's the best knife I've ever owned. Worth every penny and then some. SG2 steel at an HRC of 63 holds an incredible edge for a long time.

Sounds like you were more about the product you were making than the business side of making it profitable. A common problem when it's a labor of love. You can't treat business as if it's a hobby.

I wish you guys were still in business I'd get a pita from you. That kitchen looked clean and you guys look like you really knew what you were doing when it came to making a great product.

Thanks. It was a bunch of stuff that went on some under our control and some things out of our control - such as the seasonal nature of the business and the increasing anti-food truck regulations that were being passed by different municipalities. but yeah the food was smashing :cool:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
My issue is my edc knives are "too nice" to use for most daily task so usually I'll only use them if absolutely necessary. It'd probably be more useful if I carried a cheaper knife I didn't mind using.

But if I need to slice someone's jugular the coroner would probably be impressed by the clean the cut is LOL.

Edit: my edc for the last year or two is a Kershaw Leek with the composite blade. Another one I like is a Spyderco Delica 4 with a ZDP-189 blade. A month ago I bought a Kershaw automatic which is completely useless since I can't legally carry it. Oh well.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My issue is my edc knives are "too nice" to use for most daily task so usually I'll only use them if absolutely necessary. It'd probably be more useful if I carried a cheaper knife I didn't mind using.
I got my survival knife specifically to abuse, and I still cringe every time I stick it in the dirt. I used to carry a bayonet with a broken tip, so I didn't mind abusing it, but it wasn't as useful as the knife. I guess I just need to get over it. A tool is meant to be used, and if it can't be used in the manner desired, it isn't useful.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I have several fillet knives.

For fish.

Not people.

Because that would be... umm... wrong.

I've said too much.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Just a bunch of old junk choppers :)

y3d3a7g.jpg
You use steak sauce? You are so fucking fired right now. :p

Was that dough boy one of those "offers by mail" deals?

And that is the ugliest collection of knives I have seen, you win. Or lose? :D

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
I go out into the wilderness a lot and carry no weapons. Can somebody recommend some decent brands under $30 I should carry in case I need to fight off some cougars, silver fox, or wilder beast?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Hmm thank you. I should have been more specific but something much smaller like a folding knife.

I'd use a fixed blade, and up the amount you're willing to spend by a bit. Finnish puukkos are nice traditional utility blades. Carbon steel, attractive appearance, and they don't look like a weapon. I like Marttiini knives. For something cheaper, Morakniv from Sweden makes functional blades, but not as attractive as the more traditional styles.

edit:
or for a pocket knife, I love Victorinox Swiss army knives. If I could only have one, that would be it. I use the Swiss Champ, but that might be too heavy for you. Pick one with the tools you like. If you're handy, you'll use tools you wouldn't otherwise use. The fish scaler gets lots of use, and I don't fish.

Last edited: