You are not a man if you don't own a knife

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I also have one of these but alsmost never use it.
0501RWS-B.jpg
I have the classic Buck folding hunter, and I don't use it either. I've had it >30 years, and have only sharpened it once :^D

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I've had this model since high school. If I were to do it over, I would have gotten a skinner or a model with a bit smaller, more curved blade. The long, straight portion of the blade is mostly useless.
0105BKS-B.jpg

I saw that and had to post again.

I have had one like that since high school in the late 70's myself, I need to polish it and hone it again.

I3FvDIy.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I saw that and had to post again.

I have had one like that since high school in the late 70's myself, I need to polish it and hone it again.

I3FvDIy.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
My mom had that model for fishing. The leather rings eventually fell out. :(

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Drilling through a penny? What were you fishing for Ferengi? I always wondered how you guys managed to land a Rossman.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
japanese cutlery for the win

You have some esoteric Japanese Samurai sushi cutlery you care to post a picture of, or just talking out of your butt again per usual ?

I have no desire to buy a $1000 Japenese sushi knife myself, I doubt you own one.

Yes, there are good knives/swords made in the past, Toledo Steel, Damascus and a few others used to be a thing in the past.

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
That's what I have pictured. I broke the pliers trying to extract a huge nail. I also broke the awl tip drilling through a penny, but I can work around that. I've had it 25 years, so I don't want a new one, but I also want the pliers back.

I thought I seen at the Swiss Army website where they sold the individual tools. I can't remember. But I wonder how you remove the plastic?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You have some esoteric Japanese Samurai sushi cutlery you care to post a picture of, or just talking out of your butt again per usual ?

I have no desire to buy a $1000 Japenese sushi knife myself, I doubt you own one.

Yes, there are good knives/swords made in the past, Toledo Steel, Damascus and a few others used to be a thing in the past.

You don't need to spend that kind of money to get a respectable Japanese knife. I wish I had like 500 to spend on one nice main chef's knife though, but not in the cards just yet. still Japanese cutlery is > than ze German stuff

my japanese knives are not high end by any means but they are decent. I just have a few. A Gyotou, Santoku and a Utility/Petty. Maybe need to add a Yo-Deba to the mix but those 3 should cover most cooking situations. Togiharu brand at korin.com:

http://korin.com/Knives/Togiharu-Molybdenum_2

and why would i be talking out my ass dear sir.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
You don't need to spend that kind of money to get a respectable Japanese knife. I wish I had like 500 to spend on one nice main chef's knife though, but not in the cards just yet. still Japanese cutlery is > than ze German stuff

my japanese knives are not high end but they are decent. I just have a few. A Gyotou, Santoku and a Utility/Petty. Togiharu brand at korin.com:

Whatever you like to use man, knock yourself out :)

If you can afford to buy those I'm not one to say otherwise.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Whatever you like to use man, knock yourself out :)

If you can afford to buy those I'm not one to say otherwise.

well i owned a food truck business for a couple years. expensed the knives. lost a shit ton of money on the business though. now i wish i got a nicer knife while i had the money and reason to do it

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
well i owned a food truck business for a couple years. expensed the knives. lost a shit ton of money on the business though. now i wish i got a nicer knife while i had the money and reason to do it

I'll give you a +10 for being an honest poster, it seems, that is a rare thing around here sometimes.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Last edited:

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009

my japanese knives are not high end by any means but they are decent. I just have a few. A Gyotou, Santoku and a Utility/Petty. Maybe need to add a Yo-Deba to the mix but those 3 should cover most cooking situations. Togiharu brand at korin.com:

and why would i be talking out my ass dear sir.

Your darn tootin you don't need to spend $1000 or even $500. I only spent $150 on the Miyabi Artisan SG2 8" gyuto and it's the best knife I've ever owned. Worth every penny and then some. SG2 steel at an HRC of 63 holds an incredible edge for a long time.

thanks. it was a crazy business. this was our yelp page:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/two-pitas-in-a-pod-jersey-city

this was our application video for the great food truck race tv show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6jGDQ3a8Mk

the falafel was really off the chains.

Sounds like you were more about the product you were making than the business side of making it profitable. A common problem when it's a labor of love. You can't treat business as if it's a hobby.

I wish you guys were still in business I'd get a pita from you. That kitchen looked clean and you guys look like you really knew what you were doing when it came to making a great product.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It not the most functional multi tool but it's pretty, pocket able and was a gift.

I actually really like it.

d33991d43d9e2f9338bd541e35b40631.jpg