You are not a man if you don't own a knife

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
Some really good advise, thank you lxskllr. Gonna bookmark this page and shop amazon. Got lost in the mountains once and the entire time I remember thinking, wish I had water and a knife to defend myself lol.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
hey, you never know when you're going to get attacked

like at a bar

some big dude charging at you

what you gonna do?
That only happens to me when watching movies, i.e. it's the movie, not real life. For openers, I don't hang out in bars. I got over that on my 21st birthday. No big dude has every charged me, period. Guess I'm the prince of peace.

"There is no helmet and mail like loyalty and good faith."

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I HATE having to drop what I'm doing to go hunt any implement that I forgot to bring with me, much less a pocket knife that I should be trained to always have on me by now.
The little gizmo I have connected to my key chains cost me a buck at local hardware store. You push on a sliding button that auto-retracts via a spring. When you push, it exposes a tiny razor sharp blade, which I sharpen on occasion with a fine stone. These handle 98% of the cutting scenarios I come across, maybe more. So, I have one of these whenever I have one of my sets of keys on me, which is always when I'm not home.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I also have one of these but alsmost never use it.
0501RWS-B.jpg
That is my EDC. I never leave the house without it. I also have a Buck 110X for hunting.

This cheap knife is beside my bed.

Tac-Force Speedster Spring Assisted Folder Knife.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
You use steak sauce? You are so fucking fired right now. :p

Was that dough boy one of those "offers by mail" deals?

And that is the ugliest collection of knives I have seen, you win. Or lose? :D

I use the A1 on hamburgers,chops and chicken now and then myself, not on steaks :)

The dough boy is a ceramic piggy bank someone bought the wife, she just always liked dough boy in the past and someone got her one as a present.

Yeah, I know those knives are ugly.

That dinky little paring knife I inherited from my grandmother is pretty useful, it has seen a lot of use over time.

Zf449CP.jpg

2tshAbL.gif

:biggrin:

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
This thread got me to thinking I should modify my knife to make it more like what I want.

knifemod2.jpg

I think that cutting off the end of the blade and grinding it down as above would work. My wife has the tools to do the work without heating the steel too much. The end result probably wouldn't have the same satin finish but I could get pretty close.