You are not a man if you don't own a knife

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Forget the toad stickers, calc pic!

WzuTQqV.jpg

I have a small collection in various states of disrepair. The calc/software are antiques, but there's still nothing better made.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
WzuTQqV.jpg

I have a small collection in various states of disrepair. The calc/software are antiques, but there's still nothing better made.

not sure why this photo offends me...but it does.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
i'm glad i didn't have internet 25 years ago or i would be sucking cock like you suggest.
Well, just keep it in mind if you go back to crack. I've got a crisp twenty dollar bill with your name on it.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
IT is the only job field I have been in, that does not require using a knife consistently.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
IT is the only job field I have been in, that does not require using a knife consistently.

I disagree. I worked in IT and i used a knife often. it took a few stabbings but the users stopped having stupid ass problems.

:D

really..i did use a knife. I would carry a multi-tool all the time.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
I own a few cheapo pocket knives and a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in S30V steel which is nice. Not cheap though.

I have 2 Chef's knives, the Kasumi 8" VG10 gyuto and a Miyabi 8" SG2 gyuto.

Also I have 2 VG10 pairing knives.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
A knife is simply a tool.

Having one makes you as much of a man as holding a scalpel makes you a doctor.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Of course, owning a knife won't make you a man, either.

QFT

I had a very small and a larger pocket knife with black plastic handles. I burned my first name into the handles of both and filled that with white paint. did this because I lost a previous pocket knife on the job.

I lost the smaller one, don't know where or how, figure it's probably buried in the dirt in my back yard. I still have the other.

Actually, I no longer carry a pocket knife, though. I keep the one described above in the kitchen for certain duties. What I do carry is a little device that at the pull on a spring loaded button protrudes a very small razor blade for those occasional cutting duties such as opening packages.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
dang, guess I'm a hell of a man... I have all manner of knives, cleavers, a machete, razors of all kinds, sharpeners of all kinds, strop, and I know how to make them all razor sharp and often do, so speak softly in my presence, or you may pay with your flesh.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
:D Don't lie, you use it for cocaine.

I cooked and did heavy construction. Both required exponentially more knife work than IT. I have my Kershaw speed safe on me, but it languishes compared to my previous lines of work.

Never done professional IT, but I use my Swiss army knife all the time for tech hardware. Next to a thumb drive with GNU/Linux/utilities, I consider it my primary tool.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Of course, owning a knife won't make you a man, either.
Depends on the definition of man. If you're simply referring to an adult male, then this conversation is pointless. But, if you're referring to it as "he's a real man" then agreed. An adult male who doesn't own a knife is probably some sort of sissified metrosexual who watches My Little Pony on the weekends. edit: :p
A knife is simply a tool.

Having one makes you as much of a man as holding a scalpel makes you a doctor.
As nakedfrog pointed out, you wouldn't be much of a doctor if you didn't own a scalpel. (Well, depending on the type of doctor.)

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
How do you like it?

I was planning to get one from Amazon but not sure about the price (over $150).

I love it. carry it with me all the time. Its heavy, but it will not fail you. Not as many gadgets on it as my other leathermen but its my favorite by far.