You are not a man if you don't own a knife

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
This is my non work fixed blade...

nkaWRI3.jpg

I have a bunch of other knives that I don't really use aside from my machetes, but I use the ones in this thread regularly.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I have a bit of a collection. Only two pics here. Pics.bzzd rejected the rest. "Invalid File Type," yet they all are jpgs.
041h.JPG
Boker Plus Urban Trapper in cocobolo
078cPointGuard.jpg
Cold Steel Pro Guard, my only serrated edge
Sorry for the giant size.

In February I picked up a RealSteel Sea Eagle flipper. This month I got a Svord santoku in stainless. I have my eye on a couple Kizers, and pre-ordered Ontario's upcoming Prime flipper in D2 and titanium.

I try to carry but the need is not there.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Have many knifes, I usually don't carry one around.

I general, when working, I have a whole tool chest full of sharp things.

KbLEJcf.jpg

Just an old one I use when I feel I need one.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
One of the prime symptoms of the particularly American form of modern insanity.

hey, you never know when you're going to get attacked

like at a bar

some big dude charging at you

what you gonna do?

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
UC2863.jpg
this should trigger a few knife freaks.

that looks like a piece of chinese made junk

I carry a kershaw blur every day but have several other knives. I have 1 custom made knife and 1 semi-custom made. plus a few small junky ones here and there.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
that looks like a piece of chinese made junk

I carry a kershaw blur every day but have several other knives. I have 1 custom made knife and 1 semi-custom made. plus a few small junky ones here and there.

+1

It's trying to be a Ka-Bar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka-Bar

I even made a program to make a Kukri once to cut a stack of blades on a wire EDM, but have never made or owned one.

They are pretty serious in the knife department, I always wanted one, but haven't bothered.

316376.jpg

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Just got one of these sets from the thrift shop today; paid $7...

71hoUzbsisL._SX522_.jpg

Already had an ulu, but wanted the bowl.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Only an idiot brings a knife to a gunfight, if you live in the US, it's always a gunfight...

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Maybe I should think about starting up a knife manufacturing artisan business, I'd be good at it.

Had a buddy I used to work with was doing it anyway, I all ready know the forming and metallurgy involved.

He used to make and sell some that were pretty close to Damascus.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Just got one of these sets from the thrift shop today; paid $7...

71hoUzbsisL._SX522_.jpg

Already had an ulu, but wanted the bowl.

They are pretty fantastic for chopping things up in general food prep, we have a couple.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

VpQ5s8U.jpg

Probably a steal for 7 bucks, at any rate.

We picked one up on our first Alaska cruise, the wife liked it so well she had a friend pick up another when they went on one.

Just one of the reasons I've never bought a mandolin.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I once left my cave without my spear, axe, blowgun, drones, rocket launchers and nuclear missiles. It was a scary trip to the 7-11.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
They are pretty fantastic for chopping things up in general food prep, we have a couple.

VpQ5s8U.jpg

The cutting board itself looks interesting, probably a steal for 7 bucks.

I like those fake antler knives. My other one is "imitation ivory". I guess that markets better than "plastic" :^D Works good in any case, but I think I'll prefer the wood handle. I sharpened the one I got today. Just need to wash everytning, and oil the wood.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I like those fake antler knives. My other one is "imitation ivory". I guess that markets better than "plastic" :^D Works good in any case, but I think I'll prefer the wood handle. I sharpened the one I got today. Just need to wash everytning, and oil the wood.

Yeah, I know. :)

But they are pretty functional for being a cheap knock off.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
hey, you never know when you're going to get attacked

like at a bar

some big dude charging at you

what you gonna do?

When I was playing drums in one redneck bar in the past I told the big ass bass player "if anyone charges the stage swing that thing at em" :)

It was almost true some nights, he he.

That was one freaky biker bar, it was a strip club during the week.

It was even before we got on stage even I guess on the weekends.

I won't bore anyone with stories, I've ranted enough in this thread all ready, moving on.

Last edited:

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
c7u2Vjz.jpg

Checking in, or whatever the catch phrase is now. My second SOG, after I lost the first one. Had the Trident before, and now have the Tanto. Use the knife almost every day, so can't compare it to having a gun. IMO, only rednecks fire a gun every day, where a knife can be a great pry tool, pencil sharpener, tape cutter, fingernail cleaner, etcetera.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I've had this model since high school. If I were to do it over, I would have gotten a skinner or a model with a bit smaller, more curved blade. The long, straight portion of the blade is mostly useless.
0105BKS-B.jpg

I also have one of these but alsmost never use it.
0501RWS-B.jpg

Last edited: