YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Well, made myself a lier. I'm now the owner of one. At $800 on sale I couldn't resist and had my wife pick one up while she out shopping tonight. I have no need for another AR but at the price for what it brings to the table it's a no brainer. That makes three in the stable now, it'll go nicely with it's two Daniel Defense brothers.

I ordered one on wednesday as well. They had 6 in stock but were holding them for door busters. I didn't want to wait in line forever to get one in my hands now. I'm not greedy and can wait a few weeks to get my hands on it.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Brownells is all out of stock and more than that before shipping. And Sportsmans Guide I hadn't heard of before but looks to also be out of stock some well into 2013.

So that's the problem. Realistically the ammo you can get is $0.40 per round or more. So the Cabelas BF friday deal was excellent.

Be wary of sportsmans guide. I've had two cases on backorder since May or so. First estimate when I ordered was October. Couple of months later they pushed it back to the 1st of January. I have my doubts I'll ever see it but I'm not out anything and at $.28/round shipped I'll be happy as can be if it ever shows up.

I ordered one on wednesday as well. They had 6 in stock but were holding them for door busters. I didn't want to wait in line forever to get one in my hands now. I'm not greedy and can wait a few weeks to get my hands on it.

My wife stood in line as I was at work. She actually took the initiative and got it, I told her not to as I am in good supply of rifles. Certainly not complaining, she's a keeper. The receipt has a $20 off $100 coupon so I'm using that for 6 Troy mags and a 2" rail section for my light.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
My EDC. HK P30L There isnt anything I dont like about this gun. Simplicity at its best. No manual safety, no trigger safety...point and shoot.

p30l.jpg
I had a standard P30. Sold it. HK's factory trigger needs work, and I never liked the mag release.

I might give them another shot if they release a striker-fired P30. Nevermind. Walther already beat them to the punch. Best factory trigger according to reviews. Same ergonomics as the HK. Same stupid mag release as well.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Brownells is all out of stock and more than that before shipping. And Sportsmans Guide I hadn't heard of before but looks to also be out of stock some well into 2013.

So that's the problem. Realistically the ammo you can get is $0.40 per round or more. So the Cabelas BF friday deal was excellent.
Realistically you either live in an area where the population is making a huge run on guns and ammo, or you aren't looking hard enough.

Brownells and Sportsman's Guide are OOS but they had shipping dates in December and January if you ordered earlier this week (prices were stable for the last two weeks at $330/case). They probably got hit hard today and have pushed their dates out.

SlickGuns - learn it and love it. The prices on the deals I mentioned are good as long as you use publicly available coupon codes.

Locally, around Noon today, I found .223 ammo for $0.30/round and $0.32/round. The former was at a local chain called Bi-Mart; PMC 55gr brass-cased .223 at $6/box. The latter was at Dick's Sporting Goods; buy one, get one half price on all ammo. Their 100rd packs of Federal 55gr .223 were $43/box, so you could buy two boxes for $64.50. No lines at either store around noon; checking out took less than a minute. Now if I decided to hit up those stores at midnight or 5AM (or whenever they opened), I would have been waiting 30 minutes just to get my ammo and another 30 minutes to check out. My time is worth more than saving a dollar per box.

Be wary of sportsmans guide.
They're great for in-stock items. I ordered a case of Wolf Military Classic 7.62x39 JHPs for ~$200 shipped, it took 1 business day to ship, and it's scheduled for delivery next week. $4/box is the lowest I've found for new commercial non-corrosive AK-47 ammo. If you order something on back-order, they don't charge you until it ships.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Is there any other ammo that's close to .22 in price?

No.

But if you spend enough time at gun shows you will eventually get a bargain you can live with.
Personally I dont think its worth the gas money and admission price to keep going to shows hoping you might get a deal.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
No.

But if you spend enough time at gun shows you will eventually get a bargain you can live with.
Personally I dont think its worth the gas money and admission price to keep going to shows hoping you might get a deal.

You're not talking about buying Bubba J Redneck's hand loads, I hope? No way I would trust those in any of my guns. Best ammo deals I've seen lately were buying re-manufactured ammo online from reputable companies. Can get 1000 rounds of 9mm for ~$160-170 (plus shipping) if you look hard enough. Or at least you could 6 months ago. Prices have probably gone batshit crazy since the election.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You're not talking about buying Bubba J Redneck's hand loads, I hope? No way I would trust those in any of my guns. Best ammo deals I've seen lately were buying re-manufactured ammo online from reputable companies. Can get 1000 rounds of 9mm for ~$160-170 (plus shipping) if you look hard enough. Or at least you could 6 months ago. Prices have probably gone batshit crazy since the election.

No.

Guys with connections sometimes get factory overstock or military surplus.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Prices have probably gone batshit crazy since the election.
Actually they haven't. They went crazy for 1 week, but now they are back to normal. I just got a case of new brass-cased 55gr .223 FMJ for $299. A case of new brass-cased 115gr 9mm FMJ is $199. Prices are the same as they have been for the last year.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Question: I really enjoyed how the .22 Goldenboy was so quiet. Are all rifles in .22 so quiet? I was watching reviews of the 15-22 and it seems louder. Thank ye.

It depends a bit on the gun but also on the ammo used. There's a bunch of different types of 22lr ammo. Cci has minimags which are louder, cci quiet which is a slow velocity and quiet round, cci subsonic which is just a bit below supersonic, then tactical which is made for the ar style rifles. So you would have to know what kind of ammo you were using vs the video.

I don't have the 15-22 but my Sig 522 is no louder than my brothers savage bolt action 22 or my dads 10/22 using minimags.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
The quietest 22LR cartridge is not really 22LR per se: the 22CB Long, that is, 22CB loaded as a 22LR-like cartridge so it'll work in your gun. Also CCI:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301367227/cci-ammunition-22-cb-long-29-grain-lead-round-nose

Should sound like an airgun out of a rifle with a decently long barrel. It will not cycle an auto, obviously, but should be fine with bolt actions or lever actions like your Henry.

It's less a function of the rifle and more a function of the ammo.

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
The quietest 22LR cartridge is not really 22LR per se: the 22CB Long, that is, 22CB loaded as a 22LR-like cartridge so it'll work in your gun. Also CCI:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301367227/cci-ammunition-22-cb-long-29-grain-lead-round-nose

Should sound like an airgun out of a rifle with a decently long barrel. It will not cycle an auto, obviously, but should be fine with bolt actions or lever actions like your Henry.

It's less a function of the rifle and more a function of the ammo.

not sure on the .22CB, never heard of that before, but Aguila makes a model called Super Colibri which is just a primer, no powder. it's like shooting an air rifle or even quieter. they don't have much power and don't go very far though. at 50 yards out of a Savage Mark II BTV, they dropped about 6 inches at 25 yards.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
"WARNING: These rounds are powered by the rimfire primer only. They must only be fired in handguns. If fired in rifles, the bullet may remain lodged in the barrel."

hmm...i used these in my bolt action rifle and they worked fine.

don't recall seeing that warning on the box before, although i got mine several years ago so maybe this is new?

you shouldn't use them in semi-autos though as there probably isn't enough power to cycle the slide.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
On the topic of 22s, my CZ453

19090165.jpg

As a student, I don't have the dough for a precision rifle in a "real" caliber, but this does it the job out to 150 yards.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
On the topic of 22s, my CZ453

19090165.jpg

As a student, I don't have the dough for a precision rifle in a "real" caliber, but this does it the job out to 150 yards.

.22 does the job most of the time. There's no round out there that's more fun than .22 long rifle. The only time you need something other than .22 is when you're killing something or practicing to kill something.

I'd love to have a .22 rifle just to plink with.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
.22 does the job most of the time. There's no round out there that's more fun than .22 long rifle. The only time you need something other than .22 is when you're killing something or practicing to kill something.

I'd love to have a .22 rifle just to plink with.

Or wanting to shoot SubMOA at 100 yards+

Eveeryone should have a 22 rifle in my mind though. A 10/22 can be had for 200 bucks (under if you look hard enough and wait for sales). Its the caliber i shoot the most of. Dont mind doing mag drops with it or can go slow and make nice groupings.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Or wanting to shoot SubMOA at 100 yards+

Eveeryone should have a 22 rifle in my mind though. A 10/22 can be had for 200 bucks (under if you look hard enough and wait for sales). Its the caliber i shoot the most of. Dont mind doing mag drops with it or can go slow and make nice groupings.

This.

If I go out and fire off 200 rounds of .22, I walk away with a big grin on my face. If I shoot off 200 rounds of 9mm, 5.56, .45, etc., I have a big grin while I'm doing it, but the though of the price sinks in as soon as I'm done. :(

.22 is great for training, and excellent for new shooters as well. Low cost, low recoil, and low noise.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Decent 22LR is about 4 cents per cartridge (Federal automatch), I've seen CCI minimag as low as 6 cents per cartridge, but it is somewhat hard to find.

Decent 9mm (the next least expensive out of the chamberings I am interested in) is about 22 cents per cartridge (Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ). I haven't bothered to try any of the bi-metal/steel/aluminum/imported stuff that goes for ~15 cents per cartridge.

22LR is friggen fun, can go through a pack of ~300 in 30 minutes at the range, faster if you stock up on many magazines :)

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Eh, I think .22LR is kinda overstated. It's definitely cheap for just wanting to shoot, and the ideal introduction for someone absolutely terrified of guns...but not too helpful if you've fired something else. Having started on recoil-heavy rounds like 7.62x39 and .40S&W, firing .22LR now is pretty underwhelming IMO. By the time I tried a P22, I had fired one pistol in each major caliber already. I wasn't any less accurate than my brother, who has a lot more trigger time than myself being infantry. An SR22 is still in my future, because the 10/22 needs a friend. :p

Essential? Definitely. Fun? YMMV.

But...another pic!

SP2022-2.jpg

All clean now. Bills are coming up this week so I'll have to hold off on the range for a week or two. :/ 200 rounds of 115gr AE ready for then, though. Maybe I'll share some silhouettes.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Eh, I think .22LR is kinda overstated. It's definitely cheap for just wanting to shoot, and the ideal introduction for someone absolutely terrified of guns...but not too helpful if you've fired something else. Having started on recoil-heavy rounds like 7.62x39 and .40S&W, firing .22LR now is pretty underwhelming IMO. By the time I tried a P22, I had fired one pistol in each major caliber already. I wasn't any less accurate than my brother, who has a lot more trigger time than myself being infantry. An SR22 is still in my future, because the 10/22 needs a friend. :p

Essential? Definitely. Fun? YMMV.

But...another pic!

SP2022-2.jpg

All clean now. Bills are coming up this week so I'll have to hold off on the range for a week or two. :/ 200 rounds of 115gr AE ready for then, though. Maybe I'll share some silhouettes.

I've shot .45 ACP, .45 colt, .40, 9mm, 380, 38 special, 357, .223/5.56, 30.06, .243, .270, .45-70, .25 acp, 7.62x39, .270 weatherby mag, 7.62x54R, .303 British, .30 carbine, 12 gauge, and 16 gauge, and possibly a few others I've missed.

I still love shooting the .22 LR A LOT. I have at least 10 firearms in .22, thats how fun that cartridge is to shoot. I find it very relaxing as well. You don't have the loudness or recoil of other calibers. It's just a joy to shoot and doesn't break the bank like other calibers can/do.