YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 88 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Lol, and yes, I quickly learned I wanted an Uplula. Your fingers will thank you.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Autoloading .22s are a pain in the ass in my experience.

I sold my semiauto .22 rifle for a CZ 455 (bolt action) and I've got a S&W Model 63 (.22 revolver). No jams for me :awe:

yup, the .22 revolvers are fun little pea shooters, but a little under powered/small caliber for my taste.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Dude I've been shooting for years and I wouldn't be confident hitting a 70 yard target with a pistol. Pistols are meant for 25 yards or less, and you're most likely to use them at 10 feet or less.
Full size, mid quality pistols like the base SP-01 are mechanically capable of about 2-3" groups at 25 yards. A good shooter should be reliably producing 3-4" groups with it all day long when they shoot at a leisurely pace. Moving to 50 yards, those groups grow to 6-8" (simple extrapolation), but there will be extra inaccuracy on top because you have to aim above the target and the target is likely harder to see. Still, I'd say a good shooter with a SP-01 should hit a torso at 50 yards every time. It's not a special skill, just an indication of decent shooting fundamentals.

It takes time to get to that point, but it's a reasonable standard of accuracy to aim for, not a magical level of performance. A top shooter with a high end gun can do much better accuracy-wise.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Moving to 50 yards, those groups grow to 6-8" (simple extrapolation), but there will be extra inaccuracy on top because you have to aim above the target and the target is likely harder to see.

There's not much drop at 50 yards. With a powerful handgun, there's only a 2 or 3 inch drop at 75 yards.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Black rifle addiction has officially taken over. Less than a week after picking up my Arsenal AK, I just got this:

thumb.php

Now I need a scope and some PMAGs.

EDIT: Scratch the PMAGs, apparently this thing works best with Troy's mags. It might work well with Gen3 PMAGs, but those aren't out yet so I haven't seen any tests. Gen2 PMAGs are a hit-or-miss affair with this rifle.

Last edited:

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Jpeyton I am jealous of you. :( Hopefully I can become a doctor soon so I have a lot of disposable income.

Any thoughts as to why the second round failed to feed? Was it just a breaking in type of thing? 'twas fine after that.

... you're in medical school? Not what I expected.

No idea regarding FTF, I had a single FTF first time I shot the CZ also, on Wolf ammo. I really would not worry about it. What ammo were you using?

jpeyton:

Magazines are the biggest reason why I picked AK over AR as a first "black rifle." Especially for your 7.62, mil surplus mags are endlessly reliable, readily available, and cheap.

But you always get both AR and AK, eventually, I suppose.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Full size, mid quality pistols like the base SP-01 are mechanically capable of about 2-3" groups at 25 yards. A good shooter should be reliably producing 3-4" groups with it all day long when they shoot at a leisurely pace. Moving to 50 yards, those groups grow to 6-8" (simple extrapolation), but there will be extra inaccuracy on top because you have to aim above the target and the target is likely harder to see. Still, I'd say a good shooter with a SP-01 should hit a torso at 50 yards every time. It's not a special skill, just an indication of decent shooting fundamentals.

It takes time to get to that point, but it's a reasonable standard of accuracy to aim for, not a magical level of performance. A top shooter with a high end gun can do much better accuracy-wise.

We're talking 70 yards. That 20 yards makes a big difference.

At 50 yards, if you have a rest and a light single-action trigger, sure. Otherwise you're going to need a serious ammo budget to get that level of training.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007

EDIT: Scratch the PMAGs, apparently this thing works best with Troy's mags. It might work well with Gen3 PMAGs, but those aren't out yet so I haven't seen any tests. Gen2 PMAGs are a hit-or-miss affair with this rifle.

That would be a deal breaker with me. If it doesn't work with PMAGs I'm not buying. I just don't have confidence that Troy is going to be making mags in five years, they haven't exactly caught on. Now PMAGs are going to be around until they are banned.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
That would be a deal breaker with me. If it doesn't work with PMAGs I'm not buying. I just don't have confidence that Troy is going to be making mags in five years, they haven't exactly caught on. Now PMAGs are going to be around until they are banned.
It works with USGI metal mags as well. Those are about as ubiquitous as you can get.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
At 50 yards, if you have a rest and a light single-action trigger, sure. Otherwise you're going to need a serious ammo budget to get that level of training.
No, I meant reliably hitting a torso-sized target at 50 yards is a reasonable standard to have (or to work up to) when shooting freestyle with any full-size, mid-quality gun like the SP-01 and using bulk ammo. It doesn't take a great shooter, a great gun, a bench or a single-action trigger. Just getting shooting technique basics to a decent level.

It's a long way from what a great shooter with a high-end gun shooting groups from a supported position can do. They can produce something like 2" groups at 50 yards.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Black rifle addiction has officially taken over. Less than a week after picking up my Arsenal AK, I just got this:

thumb.php

Make sure you've lubricated the buffer tube. My VTAC2 was hit or miss with pmags until I lubed things up a bit better.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
And he appears to be shooting uphill as well. But how on earth is he compensating for bullet drop? Not like he is adjusting his sites. You would think he would have to aim the gun up high enough that the target would be obscured. :confused:

Rock solid hold and squeeze however.

In one of his videos (te fnp45 tactical and osprey video?) he talks about how he aims at distance. Just aims high pretty much.

and you got to remember he is probably putting at least a thousand rounds out per a month and has been for years.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002

Cool, I bought one on Monday night, but they had to order it, so I wont get it till next week. What a deal.

They also had 3 packs of Troy 30 round mags for $45 and there are $10 off coupons floating around if that's a good deal.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Troy is 20% off for BF.

I think I got an email. I don't think they sell their rifles on their website though.

Last edited:

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
And he appears to be shooting uphill as well. But how on earth is he compensating for bullet drop? Not like he is adjusting his sites. You would think he would have to aim the gun up high enough that the target would be obscured. :confused:

Practice. I estimate he's having to aim about 7 feet above the target.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Cool, I bought one on Monday night, but they had to order it, so I wont get it till next week. What a deal.

They also had 3 packs of Troy 30 round mags for $45 and there are $10 off coupons floating around if that's a good deal.
The first two stores I hit up offered to order it for me, the third sold me one they had in stock (maybe they didn't get the memo to hold the rifles until Black Friday). I have 6 Dick's within an hour of my place so I figured I would get lucky at one of them.

The deal on Troy mags is good with the coupon, otherwise they are about $12 each online.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Last edited: