YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
This thread is garbage because there's not 90 more pages to read now that I finally got to the end of it. Get on it.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
So I'm getting up at 7:15 am tomorrow which is fucked... even on a workday I sleep until 8:15 am, because I'm going to Cabelas. The thing I really want is the 500 rounds of AE .223 for $160. It one of those 5 hours deals so it ends at 10 am and Cabelas is one hour drive.

Last year I stocked up on 9mm and .223 but I'm almost out. Last year it was 9mm for $0.20 per round and .223 for $0.30 per round. Ammo prices have increased and it's difficult to find that now thus making the trip for the Cabelas BF special.

Hopefully can find some other good deals. I'll at least get 1.5 cases (splitting one with a friend) and the limit is 2 anyway. But even the $30 savings on one case is worth the gas money to drive.

Now, if they are out of the .223 special before I get there... ugh.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
So I'm getting up at 7:15 am tomorrow which is fucked... even on a workday I sleep until 8:15 am, because I'm going to Cabelas. The thing I really want is the 500 rounds of AE .223 for $160. It one of those 5 hours deals so it ends at 10 am and Cabelas is one hour drive.

Last year I stocked up on 9mm and .223 but I'm almost out. Last year it was 9mm for $0.20 per round and .223 for $0.30 per round. Ammo prices have increased and it's difficult to find that now thus making the trip for the Cabelas BF special.

Hopefully can find some other good deals. I'll at least get 1.5 cases (splitting one with a friend) and the limit is 2 anyway. But even the $30 savings on one case is worth the gas money to drive.

Now, if they are out of the .223 special before I get there... ugh.

i can get that price on 500 rounds AE .223 at a local gun shop - normal price. lol at it being a deal.

also good luck. unless you're already there now you won't be getting that ammo - and even then you might be screwed

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
After reading this thread I have decided to be kazaam and contemplate pistol choices for 30+ pages.

I've been shooting my brothers guns for years, and enjoy trap shooting.

I've got it narrowed down to S&W m&p 9mm, a CZ variant (most likely SP01), or maybe a remington 870 first.

I'm drawn most to the m&p 9mm. I really need to get to the gun store/range and get some time with the individual guns. Foid card should arrive in about 2-3 weeks. I can't handle the wait much longer.

desertdweller

Jan 6, 2001
After reading this thread I have decided to be kazaam and contemplate pistol choices for 30+ pages.

I've got it narrowed down to S&W m&p 9mm, a CZ variant (most likely SP01), or maybe a remington 870 first.

I'm drawn most to the m&p 9mm. I really need to get to the gun store/range and get some time with the individual guns. Foid card should arrive in about 2-3 weeks. I can't handle the wait much longer.

There have been a lot of complaints about the M&P 9 with accuracy issues. I have an M&P 9 pro and it shoots fine for me. Though, I will say that its no where near as accurate as the custom 2011 I have. Apparently, though, they say the 4 inch barrel version doesn't have any issues, its just the 5 inch versions.

Last edited:

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
i can get that price on 500 rounds AE .223 at a local gun shop - normal price. lol at it being a deal.

also good luck. unless you're already there now you won't be getting that ammo - and even then you might be screwed
Really? Even online the exact same thing from bulkammo.com (which is probably not the best price, but I think at least average) is $205. Every local place I've been to is $0.40 per round at best. If it wasn't a good deal then there shouldn't be all kinds of people looking to buy it.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The thing I really want is the 500 rounds of AE .223 for $160. It one of those 5 hours deals so it ends at 10 am and Cabelas is one hour drive.
Walmart sells AE 100rd packs for $35. $0.35/round, 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.

Cabela's doorbuster is $0.32/round for 5 hours on 11/23/12, the busiest shopping day of the year. Drive a hour to Cabela's, navigate the parking lot for 20 minutes, wade through the crowd of shoppers to find your ammo, spend another 20 minutes in the checkout line, and drive an hour back home.

Yeah, totally worth it.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Black rifle addiction has officially taken over. Less than a week after picking up my Arsenal AK, I just got this:

thumb.php

Now I need a scope and some PMAGs.

EDIT: Scratch the PMAGs, apparently this thing works best with Troy's mags. It might work well with Gen3 PMAGs, but those aren't out yet so I haven't seen any tests. Gen2 PMAGs are a hit-or-miss affair with this rifle.

That would be a deal breaker with me. If it doesn't work with PMAGs I'm not buying. I just don't have confidence that Troy is going to be making mags in five years, they haven't exactly caught on. Now PMAGs are going to be around until they are banned.

Well, made myself a lier. I'm now the owner of one. At $800 on sale I couldn't resist and had my wife pick one up while she out shopping tonight. I have no need for another AR but at the price for what it brings to the table it's a no brainer. That makes three in the stable now, it'll go nicely with it's two Daniel Defense brothers.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Walmart sells AE 100rd packs for $35. $0.35/round, 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.

Cabela's doorbuster is $0.32/round for 5 hours on 11/23/12, the busiest shopping day of the year. Drive a hour to Cabela's, navigate the parking lot for 20 minutes, wade through the crowd of shoppers to find your ammo, spend another 20 minutes in the checkout line, and drive an hour back home.

Yeah, totally worth it.
Hey, at 3c savings per round, if you assign a minimal price on your time and have a car with good mileage, you would only need to buy something like 2000rd to break even. Nice savings if you buy 5000rd or more. ;)

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
At $800 on sale I couldn't resist and had my wife pick one up while she out shopping tonight. I have no need for another AR but at the price for what it brings to the table it's a no brainer. That makes three in the stable now, it'll go nicely with it's two Daniel Defense brothers.
$800 for an AR with $600 worth of Troy furniture. It's an excellent deal.

It's more like $780 because you'll get $20 in Dick's Rewards back for the purchase.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

if you haven't held any of those firearms yet, definitely do so.

i held the M&P, XD, and a few others that were all highly recommended. at the end of it all, the Stoeger Cougar just felt so right in my hands. literally every time i picked it up.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

Yeah, totally worth it.
I've been to 3 Walmarts in my area and I've never seen one sell anything close to that. The only .223 I've seen at Walmart is about $0.50 per round in 20 round boxes.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Finally got mine...now this is my kind of Black Friday...

2012-11-23_12-14-06_8541.jpg

SIG Pro SP2022 in 9mm, just picked it up. Beautiful. Still greasy, I'll have to clean her up tonight. I was kinda hoping they had the .40 in stock, but ordering online wouldn't have been more than $10 cheaper after all the fees, and it's been a long time coming anyway so I wasn't gonna wait.

To my surprise, they did have an XDm 3.8 Compact in .45, which felt perfect. But even the local store had a used one that was over my budget. With all the ammo and stuff I bought today, I'm happy with today's choice. :D

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Finally got mine...now this is my kind of Black Friday...

2012-11-23_12-14-06_8541.jpg

SIG Pro SP2022 in 9mm, just picked it up. Beautiful. Still greasy, I'll have to clean her up tonight. I was kinda hoping they had the .40 in stock, but ordering online wouldn't have been more than $10 cheaper after all the fees, and it's been a long time coming anyway so I wasn't gonna wait.

To my surprise, they did have an XDm 3.8 Compact in .45, which felt perfect. But even the local store had a used one that was over my budget. With all the ammo and stuff I bought today, I'm happy with today's choice. :D

nice! :thumbsup:

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
I've been to 3 Walmarts in my area and I've never seen one sell anything close to that. The only .223 I've seen at Walmart is about $0.50 per round in 20 round boxes.
That's fine. Brownells or Sportsman's Guide have Federal XM193 cases for $330 shipped.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
That's fine. Brownells or Sportsman's Guide have Federal XM193 cases for $330 shipped.
Brownells is all out of stock and more than that before shipping. And Sportsmans Guide I hadn't heard of before but looks to also be out of stock some well into 2013.

So that's the problem. Realistically the ammo you can get is $0.40 per round or more. So the Cabelas BF friday deal was excellent.

x-alki

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
My EDC. HK P30L There isnt anything I dont like about this gun. Simplicity at its best. No manual safety, no trigger safety...point and shoot.

p30l.jpg

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
My EDC. HK P30L There isnt anything I dont like about this gun. Simplicity at its best. No manual safety, no trigger safety...point and shoot.

p30l.jpg

Yeah, my only turn-off to HKs are the magazine release. Can't reach it without changing my grip.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Yeah, my only turn-off to HKs are the magazine release. Can't reach it without changing my grip.

Completely agree here...though I find HKs to be cost prohibitive. For that price...they don't seem worth it for what they are. And I've found a bunch of gun smiths won't handle HK stuff either.

x-alki

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
I have no prtoblem with the mag release on the HK, in fact I like it where it is. I didnt buy this new either. Paid 650 for it with 5 15 round magazines.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
All i got for black friday was 100 rounds of Federal Gold medal match 308 ammo. Was an ok deal at 20 bucks for 20 rounds so got 100 rounds. Can get it for 23-24 bucks if i look around hard enough but figured why not. Plus that will last me years since i dont really shoot factory 308 anyways.