What happens when food stamps are a day late?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
What exactly do you think is behind the apparent rise in occurrences of this "problem"?

What rise? :confused: Almost as long as I've been living here, they've been doing this. If you've been around it long enough, it's a given...you're telling me you've seen almost no abuse of 'the system' where you're at? Where do you live, middle-class or higherville?

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
First you wrote:

I hope you know to folks on welfare school is free day care, complete with breakfast, lunch and dinner for the kids and they don't have to pay a dime for any of it.

Now you write:

Did you not know that "free school lunch" provides at a minimum breakfast and lunch and many times after school dinner or take home dinner?

I do. I volunteered for a low income school every year around christmas time (donated time and christmas gifts like coats, shoes, clothing because the parents won't buy it for them...not that they can't afford it, they just won't buy them clothes), I know exactly what they get. You're delusional if you didn't know this.

So you're admitting what you originally wrote wasn't true and you knew when you wrote it it wasn't true. That's a start.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
How racist of you to assume that there is not one loving father to those kids living in the same house!
Well, I did say "statistically speaking". Between 1/2 and 3/4 of black children live in a single-parent home.
Do you really think existing on welfare/assistance is all puppies, rainbows, and Xbox?
I don't, for most people it sucks. However, a lot--I'd assume millions (nobody has numbers since it's not PC to even explore it, really) are gaming it to some substantial degree. 46 million or so Americans are now on food stamps. There's no way this country is so poor that literally 1/6th of people cannot afford a gallon of milk, a bundle of bananas, a loaf of bread and some peanut butter every couple of days. No Fing way.

I just went to my state's food stamp site and ran through the online qualifier and it was eye opening how much money a family can make and still receive stamps, and how much money they are worth, too; over $150/month per person. That literally takes every single bit of onus of feeding one's family away from them and the government pays all of it.

Going to walmart at insane hours can be fun, it's almost like another world. I admit I've never been there at first of the month and I am somewhat interested in checking it out. Hopefully svnla will tonight!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
First you wrote:

Now you write:

So you're admitting what you originally wrote wasn't true and you knew when you wrote it it wasn't true. That's a start.

Depends on the school, don't mince words and try to attack a single statement.

Do you have schools in your area that provide more than the mandated, by law, free breakfast and lunch? I do. Free take home dinner and free take home food for the weekends. But way to zero in on a single word.

Is lunch and breakfast not enough for you and the leeches? Hell, those are the most important meals, all for free, free, free, free.

Off to welfare and food stamps leech. We WILL stop you.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
What rise? :confused: Almost as long as I've been living here, they've been doing this. If you've been around it long enough, it's a given...you're telling me you've seen almost no abuse of 'the system' where you're at? Where do you live, middle-class or higherville?

sigh

Fine. Forget I mentioned rise.

Nope, I've never seen this. In fact, I make it a point to rarely assume anything about anyone. Especially things like assistance and handicap parking placards.

A long time ago, I was driving myself, my g/f, and her great aunt to dinner. We took my car and moved the aunt's parking placard into my car so we could park close. We arrived at Olive Garden, got everyone inside, then my phone rang. I went back into the car to chat, then got out of the car when the call ended. Alone. Yes, to a person passing by it would have appeared as though a completely healthy person was parking in a handicapped spot.

My point was (prior to your confusion over my misstatement) how are these offenders getting the placard? Not by spontaneous generation, methinks.

Figure out my city's demographics on your own.

bart1975

Apr 12, 2011
If food stamps are a day late I wait a day, no big deal. Just today I hopped on my bicycle and went to the grocery store. For anyone wondering I picked up a pound of salami, a head of lettuce, 2 red onions, 2 green bell peppers, and a loaf of Italian bread.
I picked a cucumber from my garden and made a nice healthy sandwich.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I needed ammo, and walmart is cheap. I just happened to be in on the 1st of the month after before midnight as they roamed waiting for the food cards to be refilled. I've learned to avoid this time.

You've been once at that time of day, or multiple times?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Just think of Food Stamps as subsidy for food producers, welfare that benefits both the poor & the rich to get a better idea of what's really happening...

EITC as a subsidy for low wage employers, too...

So, uhh, what's your beef, anyway, Spidey? According to you, it's gambling on the boat, buying high end firearms, playing golf at the country club, overseas vacations & trying to steal a $1M house for a lot less... Seems like you're doing entirely well enough to not begrudge others what little they might get for free...

Or is it all just to support your insecure yet monstrous ego?

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
Depends on the school, don't mince words and try to attack a single statement.

Do you have schools in your area that provide more than the mandated, by law, free breakfast and lunch? I do. Free take home dinner and free take home food for the weekends. But way to zero in on a single word.

Is lunch and breakfast not enough for you and the leeches? Hell, those are the most important meals, all for free, free, free, free.

Off to welfare and food stamps leech. We WILL stop you.

You made a blanket statement that you knew wasn't true. Don't you think you'd have better luck getting people to agree with you if you just stuck to the truth and didn't exaggerate?

You won't get me to agree on this issue, regardless. I'm sorry but I can't hate someone just because they're poor and the idea that the poor have to much just seems like an oxymoron to me.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Just think of Food Stamps as subsidy for food producers, welfare that benefits both the poor & the rich to get a better idea of what's really happening...

EITC as a subsidy for low wage employers, too...

So, uhh, what's your beef, anyway, Spidey? According to you, it's gambling on the boat, buying high end firearms, playing golf at the country club, overseas vacations & trying to steal a $1M house for a lot less... Seems like you're doing entirely well enough to not begrudge others what little they might get for free...

Or is it all just to support your insecure yet monstrous ego?

House is under contract now bitch. This is what I was talking about opportunity. There's a difference between working for what you have vs given to you.

This is the difference, that's my fucking money I work my ass off for. Nothing is free and life isn't fair.

I say again - fuck you liberal, I got mine.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
...Going to walmart at insane hours can be fun, it's almost like another world. I admit I've never been there at first of the month and I am somewhat interested in checking it out. Hopefully svnla will tonight!

I will try to swing by later tonight/morning. I have to say this WM is fairly new (about 5 years old) and not in the "hood" area so maybe what Spidey saw may not happenning. I can't promise anything but will come back here and update what I saw "if" I remember to go later.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
House is under contract now bitch. This is what I was talking about opportunity. There's a difference between working for what you have vs given to you.

This is the difference, that's my fucking money I work my ass off for. Nothing is free and life isn't fair.

Thanks for the confirmation, Spidey. If it all falls apart, apply for SSDI- I'm pretty sure you'd qualify as a mental case.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I will try to swing by later tonight/morning. I have to say this WM is fairly new (about 5 years old) and not in the "hood" area so maybe what Spidey saw may not happenning. I can't promise anything but will come back here and update what I saw "if" I remember to go later.

Don't forget to interview everyone you see to get an accurate assessment of what you see. Assumption will get us nowhere! A sampling of questions:

1) race
2) occupation
3) number of dependents
4) number of people in household
5) own or rent
6) >42" HDTV?
7) gaming console?

It's a start!

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000

I simply don't understand the hate. I guess I'm the dummy.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Mine is like that. Although in theory Walmarts are all the same in practice there is Walmart and then there's Hide-yo-kids-hide-yo-wives Walmart.

infoiltrator

Feb 9, 2011
Aldi's in this city. What you do not notice is people trying to live on Social Security or SSI Disability payments. Often money goes to staying in a better home or better neighborhood.
The cheats.
A lot of places will give 50% cash, which can be spent on BILLS, gasoline, tobacco, cigarettes, booze, or drugs.
Or sudden emergencies.
Its a sub economy, subsidixes a lot of poor neighborhood businesses.
Ever been on food stamps. They work for careful shopping as long as you have a stove refridgerator and the ability to cook and clean.
Junk food kills them.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I simply don't understand the hate. I guess I'm the dummy.

No hate. But reality is a cold bitch.

Spidey's denial is a seamless mechanism beyond his rational control, obviously.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
Yeah, you're right.

20101215-221428-pic-125665235.standalone.prod_affiliate.71.jpg

That would be from the EIC check I'm sure. Once tax return season starts plenty of people with no savings pay a few hundred bucks to have their taxes done and cashed immediately. The thousands of dollars are then gone within a month or two, usually on big ticket items that they could otherwise not save up for.

This is one of the many reasons I have been against the EIC.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
It's past 11:30 p.m. here. I am heading out the the local WM and do my research, will report back with my finding(s).

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Ok, I am back from my fact finding trip at Walmart. Whewww, can't wait to tell you guys/gals what I saw.

Until the sun rise......stay tuned.