What happens when food stamps are a day late?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
sigh

Fine. Forget I mentioned rise.

Nope, I've never seen this. snip

You must live in a really nice place. Tell you what:

Next time you make it to the Chicago area, rent a room in a nice motel on Chicago's wonderful and exciting South Side, get out in our wonderful suburb(s), where you too can observe these wonderful behaviors that are so rare, you'll never ever see it happening (repeatedly), not a once.

When/If you make it back home, post on back here, you can then preach on how proper everyone behaved and how chucky2 is really just FOS.

Yeah......

Last edited:

Chaosblade02

Jul 21, 2011
If food stamps are a day late I wait a day, no big deal. Just today I hopped on my bicycle and went to the grocery store. For anyone wondering I picked up a pound of salami, a head of lettuce, 2 red onions, 2 green bell peppers, and a loaf of Italian bread.
I picked a cucumber from my garden and made a nice healthy sandwich.

Apparently you aren't too bad off because you seem to have a nice enough PC. But you take a handout from the government? Do you feel "entitled"? Blow all your money on a PC, and then go begging for food, because nobody should have to go without food, right?

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
You must live in a really nice place. Tell you what:

Next time you make it to the Chicago area, rent a room in a nice motel on Chicago's wonderful and exciting South Side, where you too can observe these wonderful behaviors.

When/If you make it back home, post on back here, you can then preach on how proper everyone behaved and how chucky2 is really just FOS.

Yeah......

I never insinuated you were full of shit.

And thanks for the invite, but I'll take my chances here with our murder rate at < half the national average per 100,000 people. We had no murders in 2009. :awe:

Chaosblade02

Jul 21, 2011
I think we should do away with Food Stamps all together and just hand out Obama Bucks.

thumbnail.aspx

I doubt most of the recipients would be complaining.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Give a man fish today and tomorrow he will be hungry . Teach that man to fish and hunger will flee him .

bart1975

Apr 12, 2011
Apparently you aren't too bad off because you seem to have a nice enough PC. But you take a handout from the government? Do you feel "entitled"? Blow all your money on a PC, and then go begging for food, because nobody should have to go without food, right?
I worked my ass off for 15 years I paid in my share and am getting it back in my time of need. Go blow smoke up someone else's ass.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
So if people also feel it unfair to carry mandatory healthcare insurance, are they still showing up at the ER in an emergency? And who pays for that? It works both ways...

If you feel food stamps are some government giveaway of your tax dollars, then why do people side with the republicans and believe they deserve FREE healthcare by not buying into their own healthcare? Then they show up at the ER, expecting a doctor, but unable to pay cash up front. Expecting YOU and ME (the insured) to pay for them?
That is exactly what happens. Their lack of insurance is passed onto those with insurance. It happens every day.

And addressing the other gripe posted here by many... If..."IF" republicans would stay the hell out of women’s reproductive lives, then just maybe that woman, knowing she cannot afford to feed and raise a child, would chose not to have that child. But we all know republicans LOVE to tell women, especially poor women, how and when they can reproduce. Then republicans get all pissy when that woman later applies for food stamps to feed that child.

Republicans love the unborn child, but hate that same newborn child as soon as it leaves the mothers body.

No food stamps. No welfare. No assistance. BUT... those poor mothers better give birth to that child. I think this is called psychotic behavior. Nutcase. The insane.
WHy republicans suffer from this in such large masses I ask does anyone know?
I really want to know... just how deeply insane are they?
They prefer to see a child starve and attack that mother for getting food stamps.
Call her lazy, fat ass, scum of society. But until that child is born, they insist that unborn child be protected, knowing well both mother and child will end up on assistance.
This is the insanity better known as the religious right wing republican party.
The tea baggers. The true scum of society.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Actually insurance coverage on a child begin at conception the same time that child is ALIVE! You get the ALIVE part. Murder is murder . Charity on the otherhand is a blessing on those who give WILLINGLY . Being forced to do the right thing is NO blessing . You remove Choice you remove grace.

Chaosblade02

Jul 21, 2011
So if people also feel it unfair to carry mandatory healthcare insurance, are they still showing up at the ER in an emergency? And who pays for that? It works both ways...

If you feel food stamps are some government giveaway of your tax dollars, then why do people side with the republicans and believe they deserve FREE healthcare by not buying into their own healthcare? Then they show up at the ER, expecting a doctor, but unable to pay cash up front. Expecting YOU and ME (the insured) to pay for them?
That is exactly what happens. Their lack of insurance is passed onto those with insurance. It happens every day.

And addressing the other gripe posted here by many... If..."IF" republicans would stay the hell out of women&#8217;s reproductive lives, then just maybe that woman, knowing she cannot afford to feed and raise a child, would chose not to have that child. But we all know republicans LOVE to tell women, especially poor women, how and when they can reproduce. Then republicans get all pissy when that woman later applies for food stamps to feed that child.

Republicans love the unborn child, but hate that same newborn child as soon as it leaves the mothers body.

No food stamps. No welfare. No assistance. BUT... those poor mothers better give birth to that child. I think this is called psychotic behavior. Nutcase. The insane.
WHy republicans suffer from this in such large masses I ask does anyone know?
I really want to know... just how deeply insane are they?
They prefer to see a child starve and attack that mother for getting food stamps.
Call her lazy, fat ass, scum of society. But until that child is born, they insist that unborn child be protected, knowing well both mother and child will end up on assistance.
This is the insanity better known as the religious right wing republican party.
The tea baggers. The true scum of society.

Actually you have a point, which is why I am for abortion. Even forced abortions and sterilizations for lifelong welfare leeches.

As far as healthcare goes, people who are young and healthy probably don't need it. For someone who barely makes enough to get by as it is who rarely gets sick, doesn't need an added expense or tax that they simply cannot afford. The young who rarely get sick and even use it will be paying extra for their insurance for the people who use it on a regular basis, which is also not fair. To put a fine or a penalty on lets say a college student who works a part time job and goes full time to school just because they don't get or can't afford ANY payments whatsoever for health insurance. So either way you look at it, everyone has to pay for everyone else also, and the ones who don't use it that much are paying extra to cover the ones that do.

I haven't been to an ER in 3 years, but my Healthcare is covered for free by my employer. And I got a better plan than ANY government ran healthcare on the face of the Earth gives anybody. People in many of these countries have government health care that can afford it pay a lot of money to get health insurance as good as what I got so they can actually see a doctor in 30 minutes, and not have to go on an extensive waiting list for a surgery if they need one, and they pay a whole lot more for this than I do.

Last edited:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Actually insurance coverage on a child begin at conception the same time that child is ALIVE! You get the ALIVE part. Murder is murder . Charity on the otherhand is a blessing on those who give WILLINGLY . Being forced to do the right thing is NO blessing . You remove Choice you remove grace.

The only problem with that is you can't prove that is a child (it's not). Killing - not murdering, since it's not a person - a cell is killing a cell, nothing more, nothing less. Next time you get sick and kill flu cells make sure to ask forgiveness, it's the same thing at that point.

Religous fundi's....you all are entertaining, I'll give you that.

Chaosblade02

Jul 21, 2011
The only problem with that is you can't prove that is a child (it's not). Killing - not murdering, since it's not a person - a cell is killing a cell, nothing more, nothing less. Next time you get sick and kill flu cells make sure to ask forgiveness, it's the same thing at that point.

An fetus being aborted is no different than dropping a deuce. Fetus =/= Feces

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Somebody is gonna bash me for this but I am gonna bring race into this. If you look at the percent of single parent home by race, you'd see one or two races with much higher rate than the rest. Naturally it's tough for single parents to care for the kids and have a regular job at the same time, and those people usually rely on social programs like food stamp.

Anyone care to explain why those race have so much higher rate of single parent hood, and as a result have to rely on tax payer's money? Or everyone is too PC to tackle the question?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Many people in this country live paycheck to paycheck, with absolutely no wiggle room in their personal finance. If their check is late, the same thing happens. This isn't news, just yet another conservative/liberterian circle-jerk against the poor.

The OP reminds me of Reagan's "Welfare Queen" attacked on social safety net. One anecdotal story used as a justification to cut support for all the poor.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the confirmation, Spidey. If it all falls apart, apply for SSDI- I'm pretty sure you'd qualify as a mental case.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I think that we are technologically advanced enough as a society that people should be entitled to have food. I wish we were mature enough as a society that some people should be sterilized after having a few children, but we're not.

First... before I say this, realize that I am a conservative. The whole sterilization argument sounds like a great idea until you think about the people on food stamps or welfare. YES, some have been on it all their life, but some have only just become part of the system. This recession has created welfare recipients out of entire families. Who is to say that those recently enrolled can't climb their way back to productivity again and therefore afford more children on their own some day?

What should be done, is mandating a cap on people receiving welfare and other benefits. That they will only receive benefits for the kids they currently have - whether that is zero or multiples. Most states offer free birth control for all and even offer surgical tube ties for habitual breeders. The message should be that if you are a ward of the state, you can not have children and will not receive additional support for them.

The problem with that is that the child gets punished for coming into this world...

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
My trip to Walmart at midnight/morning first of the month (as I promised).

I arrived at the local WM about 7 minutes before midnight. There were not a lot of people there except stock boys and girls. I think there were about 20 people or less at the check out lines. I bought 3 items and went to the check out area.

Did not see anyone with a lot of items in their carts except one lady. Her cart was beyond full (top and bottom) with tons of stuffs. She also used ads from the local grocery stores to price match plus a whole bag (the bank teller type) of coupons. She must be one of the extreme couponers. Another cashier opened a new checkout line and I jumped right on it and did not wait to see what kind of payment she would made.

Overall, I did not see anyone with full carts and paid with food stamps. Like I said, this WM is not in the hood (majority white area) and it is fairly new.

Last edited:

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Actually you have a point, which is why I am for abortion. Even forced abortions and sterilizations for lifelong welfare leeches.

Ahh, the sweet postings of a angsty manchild. You think because you were given everything in life that it works the same for everyone else. You've never had to really work for anything, because mommy and daddy were always there to make sure you succeeded, and since you have to rely on them, you have the same shitty opinions your father does. Pretty typical.
Also, you really seem to like the idea of hurting people.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ahh, the sweet postings of a angsty manchild. You think because you were given everything in life that it works the same for everyone else. You've never had to really work for anything, because mommy and daddy were always there to make sure you succeeded, and since you have to rely on them, you have the same shitty opinions your father does. Pretty typical.
Also, you really seem to like the idea of hurting people.

I have an idea maybe we can start with his kind first and the world would be a much nicer place to live in ;)

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Food stamps and benefits are often turned into cash anyway. They are then used to buy whatever.

Drugs and alky. I witness it every day . Day in day out . I live in very poor area . As its my home . Every person who gets food stamps here is committing fraud. NO exceptions.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I don't have a problem with giving people food stamps. Most people use them properly and I see no reason to punish the majority for the misuse by the minority. I have less problem with the woman who has the 6 kids than the middle east/asian chick I saw last year in the store. That chick used a family first card, but she was pretty and had a little one in tow. Expensive jewlery on as well, then walked out into the parking lot and got into a brand new 5 series BMW. It still had the temp tag. But yet she was using a fmily first card to pay for food. Those are the ones I have a real problem with.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

I don't care if it 1 human cell if its a living cell its alive and that is murder.

I assume none here want to see people starve . I sure don't . But I know enough of these types . They are pretty much leeches on society . IN MOST cases . NOT ALL. talk to them. These people actually feel they are entitled and that idea has to be wiped out.

IF all americans would look at labels from were a product is made and buy only made in the USA . WALmart will change or belly up . factories would spring up everywere. Ya we would suffer short term . I care only about USA and mostly about native Americans .
Screw China and the EU . Spam town USA is my right next to my village. You people are cluesless whats going on in Russia . Poland. I can tell ya this they are eating alot of spam and pork . NO beef at all. Hormel is even training their farmers in pork production on raising hogs . Its also building a processing plant in Russia . Open your eyes people.

THINK AMERICAN only. Buy american only . If we did this in 2 years there would be enough jobs for all who WANT TO WORK . Screw the world and 1 world gobberment. Break up corperations. Its the ONLY thing that could have saved ya . To late now. You lose. In 8 months no one will care to debate this as reality sets in.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I don't care if it 1 human cell if its a living cell its alive and that is murder.

Every cell in your body is a 'human' cell, tons are destroyed and tons are created everyday. The cell is only 'alive' because it's a parasite on the host body. Take away the host body, and that 'alive' cell 'dies', fairly immediately. The cell has no heart, brain, organs, etc. It's a cell, not a 9 month old baby. I know you mentally need to buy into the cell = human myth because without it, you're fundi religion brainwashing really starts falling apart, but try and apply (I can't believe I'm saying this to you...I must have been mad last night to even reply) a little rational thought.

I assume none here want to see people starve . I sure don't . But I know enough of these types . They are pretty much leeches on society . IN MOST cases . NOT ALL. talk to them. These people actually feel they are entitled and that idea has to be wiped out.

IF all americans would look at labels from were a product is made and buy only made in the USA . WALmart will change or belly up . factories would spring up everywere. Ya we would suffer short term . I care only about USA and mostly about native Americans .
Screw China and the EU . Spam town USA is my right next to my village. You people are cluesless whats going on in Russia . Poland. I can tell ya this they are eating alot of spam and pork . NO beef at all. Hormel is even training their farmers in pork production on raising hogs . Its also building a processing plant in Russia . Open your eyes people.

THINK AMERICAN only. Buy american only . If we did this in 2 years there would be enough jobs for all who WANT TO WORK . Screw the world and 1 world gobberment. Break up corperations. Its the ONLY thing that could have saved ya . To late now. You lose. In 8 months no one will care to debate this as reality sets in.

Can't say this is all too radical a thought, how come you can't use this type of critical thinking to break through your fundi indoctrination?

Chuck

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
First... before I say this, realize that I am a conservative. The whole sterilization argument sounds like a great idea until you think about the people on food stamps or welfare. YES, some have been on it all their life, but some have only just become part of the system. This recession has created welfare recipients out of entire families. Who is to say that those recently enrolled can't climb their way back to productivity again and therefore afford more children on their own some day?

What should be done, is mandating a cap on people receiving welfare and other benefits. That they will only receive benefits for the kids they currently have - whether that is zero or multiples. Most states offer free birth control for all and even offer surgical tube ties for habitual breeders. The message should be that if you are a ward of the state, you can not have children and will not receive additional support for them.

The problem with that is that the child gets punished for coming into this world...
Good post. Free birth control and sterilization for welfare people is a great idea, and we should definitely have a declining benefits structure to disincentivize women to have multiple children for higher benefits, but forced sterilization is creepy and morally wrong. I like the workfare thing too, although moving welfare people into camps I also find creepy and also probably counterproductive in the long run. And I'm also a conservative. We definitely need to revise the way we do welfare and public aid, but we need to avoid dehumanizing people too.

I don't have a problem with giving people food stamps. Most people use them properly and I see no reason to punish the majority for the misuse by the minority. I have less problem with the woman who has the 6 kids than the middle east/asian chick I saw last year in the store. That chick used a family first card, but she was pretty and had a little one in tow. Expensive jewlery on as well, then walked out into the parking lot and got into a brand new 5 series BMW. It still had the temp tag. But yet she was using a fmily first card to pay for food. Those are the ones I have a real problem with.
RACIST! We need MORE hot Asian and/or Middle Eastern chicks! :D

She probably has a well-off boyfriend she won't marry because then she'd lose her free stuff. This is fairly common from what I've seen, completely legal, and a good part of what is wrong with our system. It's very, very bad for our society because it weakens familial bonds, leading to more real single-parent households as well as more single-parent households for purposes of government goodies. It's hard to fix though. We need to stop rewarding irresponsibility and punishing marriage, but without forcing people to marry simply for the benefits.

Incidentally the last food stamp card user I followed out was a black lady, but otherwise similar to your description. Very pretty, very well coiffed, expensively dressed, nails well done, expensive-looking tasteful jewelry, two well-dressed, well-behaved children, buying a LOT of meat. When I came out, she was loading her groceries into a nice Lexus. I suspect she is the same type, with a well-to-do boyfriend and no visible income. But you never know. She could also be a big-time welfare cheat, or using someone else's card to pick up their groceries, or she could have just lost a good job and suddenly be income-poor without having lost her nice car or worn out her nice clothes.

I make no statement about how common this may be, simply because unless it's an attractive woman or someone who makes a fuss about what the food stamp card won't buy, I wouldn't notice how someone pays.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Somebody is gonna bash me for this but I am gonna bring race into this. If you look at the percent of single parent home by race, you'd see one or two races with much higher rate than the rest. Naturally it's tough for single parents to care for the kids and have a regular job at the same time, and those people usually rely on social programs like food stamp.

Anyone care to explain why those race have so much higher rate of single parent hood, and as a result have to rely on tax payer's money? Or everyone is too PC to tackle the question?

Income is better correlation. More people of lower income are black, hence more blacks are on welfare. Poor rednecks, Mexicans, and Cambodians abuse welfare just as same as any other color.