What happens when food stamps are a day late?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Humans only understand incentives and consequences. If you set up a system where a welfare queen makes more money and gets more welfare by having more kids, guess what? Those bitches will make more kids.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
if you're making significantly more money your taxes have likely gone up

obviously. Chaostard made it seem as though his wages stayed the same but his taxes went up and he attributed this to obama. So this would be impossible then?

jayzds

Nov 21, 2006
obviously. Chaostard made it seem as though his wages stayed the same but his taxes went up and he attributed this to obama. So this would be impossible then?

Yeah, something does not add up there...if anything his deductions/credits went down and the end result is an increase in tax.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
I think that we are technologically advanced enough as a society that people should be entitled to have food. I wish we were mature enough as a society that some people should be sterilized after having a few children, but we're not.

We're not stupid or immoral enough as a society to practice eugenics, and thankfully we're not going to get there anytime soon.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Food Stamps are bought and sold for 50-cents on the dollar - Recycling fees can be paid for by Food Stamps. Alcoholics will buy a case of soda, turn in their 5 or 10cents per can after they pour it all out and buy a 24oz can of malt liquor like Steel Reserve.

The amount of fraud in food-stamps is pretty epic.

I like the way WIC works - forces people to only receive those items on the list. I'd like to see Food Stamps the same way - Each week you get a card which says 2 whole chickens, 5lbs ground beef, 2lbs broccoli, 2lbs bananas, 2 loves wheat bread, 2lbs pasta, 5lbs rice and so on...........

Using Food Stamps for Slim Jim's and a 32oz soda at the corner mart infuriates me to no end!

With a full 27% of the population on food-stamps I like the idea of having the urban centers having a food-stamp grocery store.

In San Francisco, they hand out food boxes to those in need - they then take the food and spread a sheet on a sidewalk and sell their food for cash. Lots of Chinese do this and its been reported in the local news as the Food Banks are out of money and donations are not coming.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you think being poor is so great, it's easy. You can quit your job and give all your stuff away today. Then the glamorous life of lobster, iphones, and satellite TV on the gubmints dime can be yours too!

This argument gets used all the time, and always gets used by simpletons with nothing valuable to say.

Nobody said being poor was great. But working a job isn't great either. Why work 40 hours a week at a shitty job you hate just to put a roof over your head and food on the table for your family when you can get almost the same results by not working?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think that we are technologically advanced enough as a society that people should be entitled to have food. I wish we were mature enough as a society that some people should be sterilized after having a few children, but we're not.
This, and well said.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I like the way WIC works - forces people to only receive those items on the list. I'd like to see Food Stamps the same way - Each week you get a card which says 2 whole chickens, 5lbs ground beef, 2lbs broccoli, 2lbs bananas, 2 loves wheat bread, 2lbs pasta, 5lbs rice and so on...........

I agree. WIC works and has a proven track record. You can't sell it to other people because it comes in your name and you have to sign it at the register and stores can ask for ID. WIC also controls the quality of the food bought by not allowing things like soda, chips or even ice cream.

Malfeas

Apr 27, 2005
Yes, because those on food stamps are well-known for their superb diet habits, food selections, and portion sizing. If it were up to me, I'd do away with food stamps altogether and substitute a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) subscription for their SNAP benefit card. Of course if we did that, many of them might starve to death because they'd have no idea what to do with real food.

Or make it so that junk food items bought with food stamps cost significantly more than more wholesome/natural foods. Lets say a 100% tariff on ice cream, chips, candy, etc. . The tariff portion collected at the grocer would be returned to the state.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
This argument gets used all the time, and always gets used by simpletons with nothing valuable to say.

Nobody said being poor was great. But working a job isn't great either. Why work 40 hours a week at a shitty job you hate just to put a roof over your head and food on the table for your family when you can get almost the same results by not working?

Because when working at a job I can use that money to afford things I want, beyond basic shelter and food? Someone getting welfare doesn't have much sitting around for entertainment.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Because when working at a job I can use that money to afford things I want, beyond basic shelter and food? Someone getting welfare doesn't have much sitting around for entertainment.

Yeah, you're right.

20101215-221428-pic-125665235.standalone.prod_affiliate.71.jpg

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

Where's that picture from the news recently with the welfare queen holding up her electric bill crying how she can't afford it and demanding taxpayer assistance with the big screen tv and xbox in the background.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Odd though that there are so many prevalent examples, yet people want to keep feeding the same system that brings us those examples...

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Odd though that there are so many prevalent examples, yet people want to keep feeding the same system that brings us those examples...

And how many examples are there of people doing exactly the opposite? Those simply aren't reported upon; like cops doing something good. "Doing right" is expected, so it's not news to anyone.

Examples of people gaming the system have always existed, and will always exist. Someone will ALWAYS figure out a way to get something for nothing. Duh.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Exactly. Just seems to me many people who are against the Welfare state as we know it today all seem to have first hand and/or credible second hand examples of why they're against it. For that to be the case (and for me and pretty much everyone I know it is), there is just more than small % of misuse going on, it'd have to be a significant %.

If it's a significant %, then the welfare systems need to be reformed to stop those gaming/playing/working/takingadvantageof The System.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Then it shouldn't be an issue if people on welfare, food stamps etc. no longer get checks, but instead get government issued clothes, housing, and food. And they aren't allowed to have any kind of entertainment, because those things should be reserved for people who work. Otherwise, what's the point of working? As more and more things become basic "rights" the reason for working for those people at the bottom of the totem pole becomes less and less. Why be a janitor and clean up other peoples shit for $9/hr when you could just sit at home and play Xbox all day?

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Exactly. Just seems to me many people who are against the Welfare state as we know it today all seem to have first hand and/or credible second hand examples of why they're against it. For that to be the case (and for me and pretty much everyone I know it is), there is just more than small % of misuse going on, it'd have to be a significant %.

If it's a significant %, then the welfare systems need to be reformed to stop those gaming/playing/working/takingadvantageof The System.

"Seem to". "It'd have to be". "If".

These terms don't work in this kind of discussion. Quantifiable numbers. Everyone "knows" someone. And?

I'm in favor of reforms, but it's not going to be easy.

Medellon

Feb 13, 2000
Not with 6 kids. For whatever reason now she is almost certainly dependent indefinitely on extremely giving social services. Even if she has high school she'll never afford day care for 6 kids. I'm speaking as if the fathers aren't there which, statistically speaking, they likely aren't.

How racist of you to assume that there is not one loving father to those kids living in the same house!

Medellon

Feb 13, 2000
Yes, because those on food stamps are well-known for their superb diet habits, food selections, and portion sizing. If it were up to me, I'd do away with food stamps altogether and substitute a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) subscription for their SNAP benefit card. Of course if we did that, many of them might starve to death because they'd have no idea what to do with real food.

Judging by that video I think you should call that benefit card OH SNAP!

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Welfare and Food Stamp reform should go hand in hand with tax reform don't you think?

Whatever corporate tax loopholes that lefties want to close, a food stamp or welfare loophole should be closed by the righties.

Tit for tat, it will leave more government teat for the middle class.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Welfare and Food Stamp reform should go hand in hand with tax reform don't you think?

Whatever corporate tax loopholes that lefties want to close, a food stamp or welfare loophole should be closed by the righties.

Tit for tat, it will leave more government teat for the middle class.

This is beginning to sound like heaven...

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Then it shouldn't be an issue if people on welfare, food stamps etc. no longer get checks, but instead get government issued clothes, housing, and food. And they aren't allowed to have any kind of entertainment, because those things should be reserved for people who work. Otherwise, what's the point of working? As more and more things become basic "rights" the reason for working for those people at the bottom of the totem pole becomes less and less. Why be a janitor and clean up other peoples shit for $9/hr when you could just sit at home and play Xbox all day?

Do you really think existing on welfare/assistance is all puppies, rainbows, and Xbox?