Discussion Tom Brady should quit

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Like Russell Wilson, Watson also has that it factor, or winning gene. Now I'm not predicting future rings because there are 52 other guys on a roster. Other good QBs will make a ton of money over a career, with little return to show for it (see Kirk Cousins or Matt Stafford).

Being forced to trade Watson sets a terrible precedent for the NFL. I have nothing against "player empowerment" per se, and it's actually driven fan interest in the NBA (while hurting competitive balance). The NFL doesn't have a balance problem; but if I understand the economics, the Texans will eat a massive dead cap hit if they trade Watson. The acquiring team is expected to give up huge draft capital, so maybe it'll be worth it for the Texans since the relationship is already broken beyond repair. But whoever acquires Watson will have a manageable annual salary figure (despite the $40M average annual value). At least that's my basic understanding (as it currently pertains to the Eagles and Carson Wentz).
Texans have basically done it to themselves to let Watson sour on the team at this level. But they still hold all the power and Watson might very well be the next Archie Manning for the rest of his prime if they want to stand stubbornly tall.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Watson is a monster QB, but as a running QB it's a greater gamble that he'll stay healthy than the "average" QB.
He's more like a Ben Roethlisberger with higher top end speed. Watson can Houdini with quickness and agility behind the LOS like a Ben or Romo but I don't know if he's faster than Josh Allen. But yes, Ben also had injury problems.

"Average" QBs also get popped and injured. The problem with "running QBs" is that they can be injured during circumstances under their control.

Nov 20, 2009
I find his results today to be so amusing. He is uniting most of the league fans in hate against him. He loves all yur hates.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
if Brady gets another Ring, then yeah he the GOAT.
erase that asterisk

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Brady made some fantastic throws in the first half, but the 3 ints in the second half were all terrible throws. So really it was a team effort, offense in the first half and defense in the second half (plus a terrible call by Packer's coach to go for the field goal instead of a touchdown near the end of the game).

KC looked awesome though. It will a huge upset if TB can beat them.

• Love
Reactions: Captante and Muse

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Even tho Brady is GOATish, his magjc will not seriously mitigate the probability that KC will win in a sprint . No team ever put together has a defence that can handle the KC Troika of Mahomes, Terrific Hill and Kelce. Never gonna happen.

But I have a Plan. The Bucs can put 5 guys on Hill and five on Kelce and everyone else rush the passer.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I find his results today to be so amusing. He is uniting most of the league fans in hate against him. He loves all yur hates.
I can't hate him, but I don't remember rooting for him. Gotta admire his dedication to playing his best, being an all in team leader. 10th Super Bowl. Eat your hearts out, haters. :D

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Brady made some fantastic throws in the first half, but the 3 ints in the second half were all terrible throws. So really it was a team effort, offense in the first half and defense in the second half (plus a terrible call by Packer's coach to go for the field goal instead of a touchdown near the end of the game).

They made the point, Romo and Buck, that the cold toward the end accounted for the INTs. But yeah, Packers losing after those turnovers? Bad decision not to go for TD, also to go for a 2 pointer near end of 3rd quarter wasn't smart. That forced the 2 pointer they failed later as well.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
what asterisk?

are you the only person anywhere that has determined that he wasn't already the GOAT? and why?

Yeah, I know you can't see this. You've put 70% of us on ignore.
"What asterisk?" I was going to post exactly the same thing. Seems to me Brady's legacy is already far above anyone else's as far as SB wins and appearances go. We have heard the "well if he wins this game, his legacy will be secure" for the last 2 or 3 superbowls. Anything he does now, is just icing on the cake.

I have to say though, if he doesn't get injured and keeps his head on straight, Mahomes has the potential to match or exceed Brady's super bowl win total.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
They made the point, Romo and Buck, that the cold toward the end accounted for the INTs. But yeah, Packers losing after those turnovers? Bad decision not to go for TD, also to go for a 2 pointer near end of 3rd quarter wasn't smart. That forced the 2 pointer they failed later as well.
That really was the most remarkable thing about the Pat's comeback against Atlanta in the super bowl a few years ago. Not only did they need three touchdowns, but they also needed 3 two point conversions and got them.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
what asterisk?

are you the only person anywhere that has determined that he wasn't already the GOAT? and why?

Yeah, I know you can't see this. You've put 70% of us on ignore.
I'm guessing the cheating scandals? Patriots were pretty dumb when it came to getting caught.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I heard that as well, but do not necessarily agree. For sure, the third int (the off balance heave) was simply poor judgement. He should have just taken the sack or thrown the ball into the ground instead of tossing it up for grabs.

Edit: This is where the Bucs need to diversify their game plan. The need a good run game or a short, quick passing game to control the ball, get first downs to control the clock when they are ahead, instead of throwing so many deep passes when they have the lead and simply need to run out the clock.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Brady has always put the T in Team. He leads by example, lifts the bar high and gets the respect and trust of the other players on the team. That's why he is the GOAT (even though he is a traitor to Patriots nation :mad:).