Tipping and race - is there a correlation.......

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Originally posted by: Jumpem
Originally posted by: rbloedow
So what about people like me that can afford to tip 25%, but usually tip around 10% simply because I don't think someone working a job like that should be making more than $10 an hour?

What about a pizza delivery driver? They certainly do more work than waiters do, do you think they should get more?

More than a waitress in a restaurant, absolutely. But remember none of these jobs require any real amount of education. They should not be making close to or more than entry level engineers in my opinion. That is why I'm a small tipper.
So, a guy taking an entry level position so he can get ahead and make a lot of money down the road deserves to be paid more than someone who waits tables just because they know how to match the pens in their pocket protector to their clip on tie?

Yes. But because the engineer had to work hard and spend a lot of money to get an education.

imported_Strang

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2001
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Originally posted by: Pennstate
actually waiters and bartenders tip the most.

I absolutely agree. Anybody who has worked as a waitstaff understands how stressful waiting tables is. I tip a minimum of 15% On occasions, especially on smaller bills, I tip 50% or more. I do this in inexpensive restruants. Just because the food is cheaper, it doesn't mean the waiter works any less.

I've never been a waiter or a bartender, but I know a lot of them. I try to follow the same guidelines.

Yeah, same. The service has to be pretty bad before I'll go below 20%.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: fredtam
So what about people like me that can afford to tip 25%, but usually tip around 10% simply because I don't think someone working a job like that should be making more than $10 an hour?

What about a pizza delivery driver? They certainly do more work than waiters do, do you think they should get more?

More than a waitress in a restaurant, absolutely. But remember none of these jobs require any real amount of education. They should not be making close to or more than entry level engineers in my opinion. That is why I'm a small tipper.

Many waiters and waitresses get a standard pay of less than minumum wage requiring tips to make up the difference. Also in many places they are required to tip out the hostess and bartender. Not all the money goes to them.

I'm aware of that. I worked every position in a restaurant for three years. I was also the kitchen supervisor for a time and was responsible for scheduling, product inventory, and handling employee/customer problems.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperCommando
I worked two summers and breaks from school as a pizza driver and I hate to say it, but like people have said, there does seem to be a correlation between tipping and race. And no, it's definitely not always the case. What I have noticed, and I don't mean to derail the thread or anything, but tips seem to be in similar amounts based on the area being delivered to, regardless of race. For example, if you go into a middle-class neighborhood, you're probably going to get a pretty decent tip. That makes sense, but where it gets weird is when you go into the lower-class or upper-class areas. It's not always the rule but it does happen often enough that I've taken note of it, when you go into a trailer park, commonly considered to be lower-class homes, I've found that I usually got tipped well. And on the flip side, sometimes when I'd go to the really nice neighborhoods, I'd get nothing or stiffed. We'd talk about it sometimes among the drivers and the only real reasoning we could come up with was, if you were "poor," you generally had to work hard for your money, doing manual labor or something of that nature, and knew how hard drivers work to get your food to you on time, etc. On the other hand, the only thing we could come up with for getting bad tips from nicer neighborhoods was that people got rich or well-off for a reason, being that they weren't frivolous with their money. Neither of those last two example are absolutely true of course; I got plenty of stiffs from trailer parks and plenty of good tips from the nice neighborhoods.

k, enough of me. I'm sure none of that made sense and will just get overlooked in this discussion, anyway :p Carry on.

Edit: Another point I'd like to make... pizza is a luxury food. It's expensive. You can get much more for your money buying from a grocery store. If you can blow $20 on one meal where it could be done for less than half that, you can give the driver a couple bucks for gas, etc.

Well, atleast one person read the entire post. :p

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: NakaNaka
There is definitely a relationship between race and tipping though to see if there is a correlation, tbere would have to more of a study done.

Personally, I tip about 3 bucks to the delivery guys here in NYC. At a restaurant, I double the tax. (so thats about 17-18%, I add a few bucks if it is a very good job.)

But back to the question at hand - it could have to do with blacks having less money. It could be reverse racism (blacks dont like white delivery guys) ... But an average of 72 cents to the delivery guy is pathetic. Rude ass people.

Blacks hating whites is not reverse racism, it's just racism.

You're definitely right - my mistake. I think there is more racism by blacks nowadays than their is by whites.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: KPSHAH316
man some of you fvckers really are cheap. Usual service gets about 15-20%. 25%+ for good service. If you worked as a waiter, you realized that some of you people really are asses. Don't say that these people are uneducated. Many are paying their way through college, and thats respectable.

That is respectable, but I still stand by my point. And I've waited plenty of tables in my time.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
There is definitely a relationship between race and tipping though to see if there is a correlation, tbere would have to more of a study done.

Personally, I tip about 3 bucks to the delivery guys here in NYC. At a restaurant, I double the tax. (so thats about 17-18%, I add a few bucks if it is a very good job.)

But back to the question at hand - it could have to do with blacks having less money. It could be reverse racism (blacks dont like white delivery guys) ... But an average of 72 cents to the delivery guy is pathetic. Rude ass people.

Blacks hating whites is not reverse racism, it's just racism.

You're definitely right - my mistake. I think there is more racism by blacks nowadays than their is by whites.

That was one of my many pet peeves. ;)

I don't see a lot of blacks hating whites, but I don't get out much.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

Many waiters and waitresses get a standard pay of less than minumum wage requiring tips to make up the difference. Also in many places they are required to tip out the hostess and bartender. Not all the money goes to them.

I'm aware of that. I worked every position in a restaurant for three years. I was also the kitchen supervisor for a time and was responsible for scheduling, product inventory, and handling employee/customer problems.

Given your attitude toward tipping I'm almost ready to call bullshit on this one. Also in my experience with
engineers they are overpaid.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
man some of you fvckers really are cheap. Usual service gets about 15-20%. 25%+ for good service. If you worked as a waiter, you realized that some of you people really are asses. Don't say that these people are uneducated. Many are paying their way through college, and thats respectable.

That is respectable, but I still stand by my point. And I've waited plenty of tables in my time.

you do have an interesting set of values.

so where do you go to get your car fixed?

pc techs average $8 to $12 / hour here at best buy etc. mechanic shop, they bill mechanics out at $75 to $100.00 / hour.

how do you handle the injustice?

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
my friend delivered pizzas for years.

he delievered to two girls, one was black one was white.

the black girl answered the door and handed him the check, the white girl on the couch said 'did you tip him?' black girl responds, 'tipping is for white people.' and shuts the door.

isolated incident obviously

but i remember a few years ago a restaraunt in NYC would automatically add gratiuity onto tables of blacks, b/c they would never tip. of course the NAACP got involved and it was a big issue.

made national news. so...

i never really noticed it in the short time i delivered, in fact i think the correlation is b/w economics, not race.

poorer more middle class people in trailers tipped a helluva lot better than people living in 5000 sq ft homes with 2 SUVs parked out front.

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001
Different races make different amounts of money on average.

"duh"

(why would you "hate to admit it"? isn't this extremely common knowledge?)

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000

Given your attitude toward tipping I'm almost ready to call bullshit on this one. Also in my experience with
engineers they are overpaid.

Try and call BS all you like. I started working at the Perkins restaurant in Canandaigua, NY full-time when I was 16. The day I turned 18 they made me kitchen supervisor and gave me a set of keys to the place. I worked there until I was 19 and decided to go to college.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

you do have an interesting set of values.

so where do you go to get your car fixed?

pc techs average $8 to $12 / hour here at best buy etc. mechanic shop, they bill mechanics out at $75 to $100.00 / hour.

how do you handle the injustice?

I have no problem with mechanics or good IT people getting paid very well. They have to be educated and strive to learn things in order to succeed.

As for my car. my dad used to be a mechanic before settling on the IT industry. There's a rented garage full of every tool that I could ever need. I've always done the work myself or with him.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I'm a black guy and make an effort to always leave a nice tip, in many cases I leave about 25-35%. On one occasion I even tipped an obviously stressed out hostess even though I was just coming in for a takeout order, it was worth it so see her give a tired smile. I've tipped towing truck guys, my barber (every time I get a haircut) and I usually tip contractors (painters, roofers, etc..) if they do a good job for me on a rehab project.

PS: I'm not even close to rich, but I have worked as a delivery guy before

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: BingBongWongFooey
How much $$ do you make delivering pizzas anyways?
I was surprised at how much I made delivering pizza. I worked full-time or close to it every week for about 12-13 weeks the two summers I delivered pizza and every two weeks, between my paycheck ($5.15/hour, I think it was) and tips, I'd take about $700-$800 to the bank. Not a bad way to help pay for college.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: BingBongWongFooey
How much $$ do you make delivering pizzas anyways?

Enough to make it worthwhile for some people, but rarely enough to put up with naked fat guys.

It depends on the store and area really. At the store I used to work at the drivers got minimum wage (or higher, depending on how long they had been there), $.50 per delivery, and tips.

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Can I also add another possibility. Since we all agreed that having waiter/waitress experience = tipping better. I would say in a majority of restruants, the waitstaff is overwhelmingly non-black. Could this be the cause? A lower percentage of blacks waiting tables and thus overall, on average, blacks tip less. I know my parents wasn't so generous in tipping until I waited tables and tell them to never tip below 15% and that good service =>25%. I think many people have the mindset that good service=15%, not know that waiters are not guaranteed minimum wage.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
That info is from a pizza delivery guy?!

He should be working for the government, to try to figure out the national dept, with that kind analizing skills!

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
hmm not sure why I'm just now thinking of this but who in the hell knew there were forums for pizza delivery guys

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
It isn't up to the customers to pay the waiters wages. It should be the damn company that hired them.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
It isn't up to the customers to pay the waiters wages. It should be the damn company that hired them.

I agree completely. When I go out I pay the $40 for my food, and leave a $2 tip. Why should I give someone $6-7 just to carry a plate across a room?