Tesla Model Y

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

You know what else is the same size as a Model Y? A Kia Sportage, and a new one costs about half as much :)

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
You know what else is the same size as a Model Y? A Kia Sportage, and a new one costs about half as much :)

I've had 2 Kia Souls & they were absolutely fantastic machines for me! I'm really digging the new Kia Seltos too. Fully-loaded at $29k gets you a ridiculous amount of features:

* Turbo engine with DCT transmission
* AWD
* LED headlights
* 10.25" console touchscreen with 7" dash cluster
* 10-way adjustable heated driver's seat
* Lane-centering with traffic-aware cruise control (plus AEB, BLIS, safe exist assist, etc.)
* Wireless phone charger
* App & key for remote start, keyless entry, etc.

My long-term family vehicle plan is a Model Y for my wife & a Cybertruck for me. If they can really hit a 500k mile life, that would be amazing...they would both be 20-year cars for us. Now I just need a house, charger, solar panels, and batteries to go with it! hahahahaha

seltos.jpg

seltos2.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I wonder why they use a dct in a vehicle like this.

The non-turbo models use an Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT), which is Kia's version of a CVT. The turbo has a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission. Nice to have options!

I have not driven the Kia CVT yet, but I can tell you that Kia's in-house 8-speed automatic transmission is excellent & is the only 8/9/10-speed transmission I've tried that I've ever liked. I really don't like FCA's (they have 8 & 9) & don't like Ford's (they have 10) at all, total slugs.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I ask because I assume most people buying a vehicle like this won't like the feeling of a dct in city driving.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I ask because I assume most people buying a vehicle like this won't like the feeling of a dct in city driving.

The LX, S, and EX have the IVT & the S Turbo & SX Turbo have the DCT. I haven't driven either one of those transmission, so I'd be curious to see if they've refined them at all!

I don't like most CVT's either...Nissan does a pretty good job, but Honda surprisingly does a terrible job (imo).

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Wow... hell has frozen over and Tesla is releasing a new car model on schedule or even a bit early depending on what you ordered. I'm stunned.

Dec 10, 2005
I've had 2 Kia Souls & they were absolutely fantastic machines for me! I'm really digging the new Kia Seltos too. Fully-loaded at $29k gets you a ridiculous amount of features:

* Turbo engine with DCT transmission
* AWD
* LED headlights
* 10.25" console touchscreen with 7" dash cluster
* 10-way adjustable heated driver's seat
* Lane-centering with traffic-aware cruise control (plus AEB, BLIS, safe exist assist, etc.)
* Wireless phone charger
* App & key for remote start, keyless entry, etc.

My long-term family vehicle plan is a Model Y for my wife & a Cybertruck for me. If they can really hit a 500k mile life, that would be amazing...they would both be 20-year cars for us. Now I just need a house, charger, solar panels, and batteries to go with it! hahahahaha

View attachment 17432

View attachment 17433
We don't drive much these days, thanks to infrastructure that enables safer biking and access to other public transit, but if we did need a new car, I'd probably look at picking up a Kia Niro hybrid. We only have street parking, so there is no place to charge, and the Niro is substantially cheaper than an electric car. I'm not a super fan of the SUVification of everything, but I'd sacrifice getting another sedan or a small hatchback to get a vehicle with some of the best gas mileage in a non-PHEV/BEV (~50/45 city/highway).

Reactions: Kaido

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Wow... hell has frozen over and Tesla is releasing a new car model on schedule or even a bit early depending on what you ordered. I'm stunned.
Tesla is 6-9 months early with the Model Y even on their aggressive schedule. :cool: Meanwhile, all the legacy automakers are late to super late with their EV production. Where is the outrage with delays by MB, VW, and others? Do you have any idea the trouble VW is currently having with ID3? You don't hear about it from the biased media and VW is going through massive software hell with ID3 right now. It might be even be worse than the production hell Tesla went through with the Model 3. I said before software isn't easy and harder than mass manufacturing. I said Tesla would have easier time learning manufacturing than legacy automaker will have learning software. And it's looking increasingly clear I was right and software is way harder. But just like Tesla eventually overcame and learned how to mass manufacture Model 3, I expect VW to eventually learn software and solve their issues. But it's not going to be easy and as VW is finding out, making good EV with great software is really, really, really hard.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
You will have to come check it out. Just need to get the charger installed and a date set for paint protection on the front.

I'm curious to see how fast they get caught up with production, in terms of being able to order & get a ship date right away. I want to give it at least 6 months of production before we pick ours up. That, and I need a house & a charger first lol.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My current 2 questions are:

1. Does it have a heated steering wheel?

2. What is the towing capacity?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
My current 2 questions are:

1. Does it have a heated steering wheel?

2. What is the towing capacity?

I believe it doesn't and don't expect a lot of towing capacity out of it. Would be surprised if it was anything more than 2000 lbs.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I believe it doesn't and don't expect a lot of towing capacity out of it. Would be surprised if it was anything more than 2000 lbs.

I've been enjoying Uhaul's $34/day utility trailers lately for wood pickups. The 5x9' with ramp is 1,240 pounds empty & can hold 1,650 pounds. The 3's towing capacity is 2,000 pounds, so that'd give me 760 pounds of usable capacity, which is way more than I typically need. So that'd be a nice option to have & then I wouldn't have to pay the Home Depot truck rental fee for a whole day!

Crazy that a fully-loaded $70k Y doesn't have a heated steering wheel. Cannibalism blah blah blah, but considering you can get an el-cheapo Kia Soul with a heated steering wheel, I mean, c'mon. I hope it's offered on this model, as imo this will become the flagship Tesla vehicle - it's smaller, it's a crossover, it's what American loves!

Reactions: heymrdj

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I really don't get why they don't have a heated wheel. If something that basic steps is the deciding factor between a Y and S, then that's beyond my comprehension. Would probably make more sense as everything is touch controls so wearing gloves makes that experience worse.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I really don't get why they don't have a heated wheel. If something that basic steps is the deciding factor between a Y and S, then that's beyond my comprehension. Would probably make more sense as everything is touch controls so wearing gloves makes that experience worse.

It's hard to differentiate product lines with Tesla...you only get a few more features on the S & X over the 3 & Y:

1. Free Supercharging (newly re-added)
2. Ludicrous mode (2.4 seconds vs. 3.2 seconds)
3. Heated steering wheel
4. 390-mile range (vs. 315/322-mile range)

Plus the Y looks like it will be nearly the same size as the X. And personally I think the 3 is a lot more comfortable for an adult male than the S is. The 3 & the Y also have newer technology (big 15" center screen, no dash, minimalist interior design, etc.). So I can understand from a business perspective why they'd leave some features out, but it's ridiculous that a base $35k car doesn't have a heated steering wheel, let alone a fully-loaded $70k model. Sure hope the Y has it as an option!

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Couple of interesting statements at the very bottom of that article. Primarily that the driver hit an impact absorbing barrier but it was non-functional from a prior crash and it wasn't replaced. They believed he would have lived if it was replaced.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
It's hard to differentiate product lines with Tesla...you only get a few more features on the S & X over the 3 & Y:

1. Free Supercharging (newly re-added)
2. Ludicrous mode (2.4 seconds vs. 3.2 seconds)
3. Heated steering wheel
4. 390-mile range (vs. 315/322-mile range)

Plus the Y looks like it will be nearly the same size as the X. And personally I think the 3 is a lot more comfortable for an adult male than the S is. The 3 & the Y also have newer technology (big 15" center screen, no dash, minimalist interior design, etc.). So I can understand from a business perspective why they'd leave some features out, but it's ridiculous that a base $35k car doesn't have a heated steering wheel, let alone a fully-loaded $70k model. Sure hope the Y has it as an option!
3 and Y are the new platforms so it has the newest techs even though Tesla is constantly updating S and X under the hood as well. I would love to get the S over the 3 and X over the Y but $$. I still think the S is timeless design and love its look. Musk has stated 3 and Y are Tesla's future.

I never had a car with heated steering wheel so I don't know what I'm missing. While I'm sure that's nice feature to have, I doubt it's must have feature for most.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Couple of interesting statements at the very bottom of that article. Primarily that the driver hit an impact absorbing barrier but it was non-functional from a prior crash and it wasn't replaced. They believed he would have lived if it was replaced.
Correct. If the absorbing barrier was fixed from the previous crash, the Model X driver would've lived. NTSB really has no real power and is just seeking publicity. Now NHTSA has power and is real government agency. And they just ignore NTSB just like Tesla is doing. Think of NTSB as attention seeking paid consultants.

The real fault lies with the driver of the X. He would've died lot sooner in any other car. The moron was playing video game on his iPhone while the car was going like 70 mph on the highway. In an area he knew Autopilot had problems. He won the Darwin award.