Tesla Model Y

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Where do you charge the Model Y?
supercharger or public DC fast charging, given how expensive electricity is in SF it doesn't really cost that much more than if I installed a charger at my condo

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I am taking delivery of an MYP on Monday. Had been hoping to wait for an Austin car but with rates headed up we went ahead and flipped our order to cash to trigger a VIN assignment.

Also picked up a 2022 Mini Cooper SE a couple days ago, so I'll be 2/3 of the way to my plan of Lightning/MYP/Mini. I left my Lightning reservation at a non ZEV state dealer so did not get a 2022 allocation. I should be first or second in line for a 2023 though so hopefully fall delivery for the final piece.

Viper GTS

Reactions: RichieZ and Kaido

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
supercharger or public DC fast charging, given how expensive electricity is in SF it doesn't really cost that much more than if I installed a charger at my condo
Acutally I just looked this up and the supercharger is cheaper than home electricity in SF!

• Wow
Reactions: Ken g6

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Well, I have a Y Performance but now the wife isn't sure she wants it. Apparently she feels the dreaded pressure buffeting when driving it. Or, rather, would have been dreaded had I seen people complaining about it before I took delivery. It's definitely got a different noise characteristic vs the 3 but I don't think there's anything actually wrong with it. Some people seem to have success with hatch adjustment but others are riding around with bags of salt in their trunk trying to dampen the noise.

Going to try to get a service appointment setup or at minimum an agreement that they'll take it back outside the 7 day window.

Fun times.

Viper GTS

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Well, I have a Y Performance but now the wife isn't sure she wants it. Apparently she feels the dreaded pressure buffeting when driving it. Or, rather, would have been dreaded had I seen people complaining about it before I took delivery. It's definitely got a different noise characteristic vs the 3 but I don't think there's anything actually wrong with it. Some people seem to have success with hatch adjustment but others are riding around with bags of salt in their trunk trying to dampen the noise.

Going to try to get a service appointment setup or at minimum an agreement that they'll take it back outside the 7 day window.

Fun times.

Viper GTS

This reminds me of the last major redesign of the GM platform for the Yukon/Suburban/Tahoe/Escalade where there were many complaints of buffeting noises. To some people it was imperceivable. To others, they likened it to a helicopter. Some people were just way more sensitive to the sound then others. If I remember correctly, GM has to beef up the roof crossmembers to reduce roof flex at highway speeds that essentially turned the roof into a subwoofer.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
She's extremely sensitive to it, but did not experience it in hundreds of miles driving her parents LR. So I have at least some hope that it's not an inherent platform flaw and this one can be fixed.

There's a nearly 40 page thread over on teslamotorsclub about this too, so it's clearly something that really bothers a subset of owners.

Viper GTS

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The worst offender in my Model 3 in regard to physical noise (ignoring the tires) is probably the driver's seat. I don't know if I just need to rip up the plastic guards and tighten down the bolts, but ugh... the squeaking really drives me crazy after a while. Sometimes, it's absolutely fine, but other times, it squeaks under even the smallest amount of movement. Oh, and there's also the lack of noise isolation from the trunk, so if you're not used to it, it can sound like there's absolute chaos going back there if something starts shifting around.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Love or hate Tesla, that's a pretty impressive accomplishment.
It is. I suspect it's simply that the Model Y hits a lot of the right marks: it's a reasonably spacious crossover with a nice (though not stunning) design, lots of tech and an electric powerplant with healthy range. It's expensive, but not so expensive that it's completely out of reach for the upper middle class; Tesla even makes special configs to ensure the Y gets tax rebates.

Now, if Tesla could just ditch Musk and seriously address build quality...

• Haha
Reactions: Brovane and DooKey

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Model Y is 47.5K today in US of A. If a buyer is eligible for 7.5K tax credit, which most are, it turns out to be 40K car.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
The current pricing is just ridiculous. I’ll admit to being a little bit bitter for my 2022 purchase of a MYP @ ~$67k no tax rebate. At the time it was peak EV pricing and that was well below market value. I’m a little consoled by the fact that the newer cars are decontented vs ours, but it’s definitely not $20k worth of content. RIP resale value.

$40k post tax credit for a 300+ mile EV with that level of performance makes nearly everything else irrelevant.

Viper GTS

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The current pricing is just ridiculous. I’ll admit to being a little bit bitter for my 2022 purchase of a MYP @ ~$67k no tax rebate. At the time it was peak EV pricing and that was well below market value. I’m a little consoled by the fact that the newer cars are decontented vs ours, but it’s definitely not $20k worth of content. RIP resale value.

$40k post tax credit for a 300+ mile EV with that level of performance makes nearly everything else irrelevant.

Viper GTS
That's the bittersweet part of it. Lower prices are great for newcomers, but you're going to be rightly angry if you paid $20K more for a car that isn't that much better-equipped. Tesla needs to learn to stop constantly tweaking the price and find one that it can maintain for a long time.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
That's the bittersweet part of it. Lower prices are great for newcomers, but you're going to be rightly angry if you paid $20K more for a car that isn't that much better-equipped. Tesla needs to learn to stop constantly tweaking the price and find one that it can maintain for a long time.

Car manufacturers and dealers tweak prices all the time it is just a whole lot less transparent. What do you think factory cash back means when you go and buy a Honda? Tesla just knocks out the middleman at the Dealership and directly tweaks the price of the car as necessary for demand purposes. Of course the transparent way this is done can create resent among buyers who paid a higher price.

This week I am renting a Model Y from Hertz to drive to Las Vegas from San Diego for Cisco Live this coming week. Never driven a Tesla until today, but I figured it would be a good opportunity for a extended test drive.

Reactions: Commodus

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Model Y is 47.5K today in US of A. If a buyer is eligible for 7.5K tax credit, which most are, it turns out to be 40K car.

I wish they'd make those tax credits refundable...as it is, even though I can afford one should I choose, I don't have enough taxable income to benefit from the various tax credits.

Reactions: Brovane