Tesla Model Y

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Oh, yeah... I think that Tesla is doing $100 refundable deposits for this one, so it's pretty low risk.
So? You guys are going to be wrong again when Cybertruck sells like gangbusters when it's released and demand actually grows when people see and drive the truck. This truck is game changer. How people can't see that baffles my mind.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
So? You guys are going to be wrong again when Cybertruck sells like gangbusters when it's released and demand actually grows when people see and drive the truck. This truck is game changer. How people can't see that baffles my mind.

I think that people who buy a truck just because they want a cool looking truck will like it. Those people who actually use their truck for real work are probably going to be annoyed by the design of the truck bed.

I'm also curious how reliable it's going to be for off-roading, since Tesla has never built anything like this before. Can the Silicon Valley tech bros design something that can withstand driving over rough dirt trails with rocks and fallen trees in the way? Only time will tell!

Dec 10, 2005
If and when that day comes, I'll be wrong. At the moment, I'm highly skeptical as Musk has a habit of overpromising and underdelivering.

As for the CT, the concept version, as is the case for almost all concept vehicles, seems to need a fair amount of alterations for safety regulations before even one unit is sold to the masses. I'll believe the orders and selling like hotcakes stuff when orders are actually being filled and delivered.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
As for the aesthetics, I'm willing to bet lot of people are going to grow to love the weird Cybertruck design and it won't look so weird by the time it's released. Who knows, after people get used to Cybertruck design, all other trucks might look boring and dumb.

It reminds me of how people balked at the names of the Wii and iPad -- it's only weird until people get over the initial shock of it. Not that cars can't be genuinely ugly (hi Pontiac Aztek), but this strikes me more as just radically different.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Per several rumors and sightings, deliveries are only a few weeks away (Feb-Mar 20).

Go Tesla.

Reactions: ponyo

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm also curious how reliable it's going to be for off-roading, since Tesla has never built anything like this before. Can the Silicon Valley tech bros design something that can withstand driving over rough dirt trails with rocks and fallen trees in the way? Only time will tell!

I can assure you that virtually nobody will use the Cybertuck for that. 99% percent of the trucks and big SUVs I see here in Texas never do anything more strenuous than go to Costco or negotiate the turns in an office building parking structure.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I think that people who buy a truck just because they want a cool looking truck will like it. Those people who actually use their truck for real work are probably going to be annoyed by the design of the truck bed.

so which trucks drive over fallen trees? really have not came across this scenario when driving off road and i DO A LOT of driving. so we talking about rock crawling? lulz

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
so which trucks drive over fallen trees? really have not came across this scenario when driving off road and i DO A LOT of driving. so we talking about rock crawling? lulz

The Jeep Gladiator came to mind. That's the closest thing I could think of as a comparison, considering that they showed it off in the announcement with an ATV in the back. They wouldn't do that if it didn't have any off-road capabilities... would they?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I can assure you that virtually nobody will use the Cybertuck for that. 99% percent of the trucks and big SUVs I see here in Texas never do anything more strenuous than go to Costco or negotiate the turns in an office building parking structure.

I guess I'm the 1% -- took long enough :p

It depends on region. I didn't run into trees much in Arizona but they're common enough in the northeast that I bring a chainsaw with me.

Q4Tskv4.png

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I guess I'm the 1% -- took long enough :p

It depends on region. I didn't run into trees much in Arizona but they're common enough in the northeast that I bring a chainsaw with me.

Q4Tskv4.png
so you dont drive over the tree you chainsaw it.. so it doesnt matter if you are in a 4 wheel drive car right? anything with some good tires and some clearance can handle offroading, some grind plates a winch all set. you even have maxtrax on your roof

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Perhaps I'm weird, but the practically the first thing I did with my SUV when I got it was go offroading on some rough roads just to see how it handled the bumps.

That SUV didn't cost over $50K, though. :)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Perhaps I'm weird, but the practically the first thing I did with my SUV when I got it was go offroading on some rough roads just to see how it handled the bumps.

That SUV didn't cost over $50K, though. :)
what does this reference? i think its pretty common for someone to christen their suv with a offroad run. the second i got my last suv i managed to put scratches on both sides off it driving through bushes and over huge gaps haha glad it wasnt brand new when i got it.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
so you dont drive over the tree you chainsaw it.. so it doesnt matter if you are in a 4 wheel drive car right? anything with some good tires and some clearance can handle offroading, some grind plates a winch all set. you even have maxtrax on your roof

If it's a tree on the ground, you drive over it. If it's a tree you can't drive over, you cut / move it. You're welcome to bring a non 4wd out - I'll drag you out when you get in over your head, which you absolutely will if you're saying that 4wd isn't necessary. ;)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'm willing to bet Cybertruck will be a beast off-road. It has huge tires and high ground clearance. Plus AWD with instant power response. Not to mention the battery packs are sealed so it shouldn't have much trouble crossing water.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
The problem with it is the long wheelbase really limits the breakover angle. At least there's plenty of power on board for the winch!

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
The problem with it is the long wheelbase really limits the breakover angle. At least there's plenty of power on board for the winch!

The breakover isn't worrying me quite as much as the sheer size -- it's ~3.5 feet longer than my GX, and there are some places I can barely fit as-is. This may prove to be challenging to say the least.

With rumors of Rivian cutting prices, I'm curious to see where everything shakes out.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Bumping this to apparently confirm that rumor: Tesla has moved up the first deliveries of the Model Y to March 2020. You'll now see "mid-2020" if you visit the configurator, but that's still better than late 2020.

So long as the build quality holds up, this is very good news for Tesla... and arguably, anyone who was willing to buy a more affordable crossover than the Model X. It also bodes well for people waiting for the Cybertruck, although that's clearly built around a different manufacturing process.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Today was a double good news day. 1) I was able to purchase 150 shares weeks ago and the earnings call only boosted it another $70 or so after the close. 2) I will be able to hopefully get my Y in the next few months and won't be tempted to get a 3 instead.

Reactions: ponyo

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Today was a double good news day. 1) I was able to purchase 150 shares weeks ago and the earnings call only boosted it another $70 or so after the close. 2) I will be able to hopefully get my Y in the next few months and won't be tempted to get a 3 instead.
Awesome! I just finished listening to Tesla Q4 earnings call. Hold on to your shares. TSLA is going lot higher this year and in the future years. This is just the beginning. Elon basically said they're going to grow over 50% every year for the next decade and they have technology so advanced they can't share right now but will soon. He said it's so crazy and advanced that it's like alien technology. TSLA is going to be added to the S&P 500 index after the Q1 quarter. Pretty much guaranteed. You're going to see real short squeeze when that happens. So much great news still to come this year. I expect Moody to upgrade TSLA credit rating soon and that's going to cause another pop. Just sit tight and watch the fireworks. The big institutions are entering this stock. It's about to get crazy.

I'm sort of tempted to get the Y but I know I must resist and wait on the Cybertruck. But I think I will get Tesla Solarglass roof and Powerwalls for my house. I need a new roof soon and I just priced out Solarglass roof on Tesla site and I'm getting $57,131 quote for the roof. With 3 of the Powerwalls, total cost is $81,731. That's before Federal tax incentives. With incentives, it's showing $60,067 total cost. I'm going to go ahead and put down a deposit to be on the list. I don't think they started Solarglass roof installation in Georgia yet. Hopefully I can get it this year.

EDIT: Ordered Tesla Solarglass roof and 3 of the Powerwall batteries. Said I will receive notification when they start installing in Georgia.

Last edited:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
EDIT: Ordered Tesla Solarglass roof and 3 of the Powerwall batteries. Said I will receive notification when they start installing in Georgia.

So you are in Georgia also? The last time I looked, the savings was just not there, but that may have been before the price reduction.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
So you are in Georgia also? The last time I looked, the savings was just not there, but that may have been before the price reduction.
Yeah, I'm in north Atlanta. Tesla Solarglass tile prices have come down a lot with the release of the Version 3 roof. It's still not as cheap as regular asphalt shingles but if you're looking at premium stuff like slate and need a new roof anyway, Solarglass is pretty competitive. It's still expensive and not really worth it at this point since GA has really low electricity rates but some things are more about money to me. I want to support Tesla, and I also want to be energy independent. Plus I've made lot of money on Tesla stock so this is like getting free Solarglass roof and Powerwalls. Tesla shortsellers paid for it. Just like shorts already paid for my Cybertruck Tri-motor. :)