Tesla Model Y

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Confirmed in the call. Model Y - Delivery start in March 2020. Production has already started.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Buried in yesterday's Tesla's Q4 earnings report, there were couple pictures of Model Y production and of Model Y final production car. One picture in particular was very interesting which no analysts will notice but smart retail investors did. Tesla is using their new patented casting machine to make the Model Y rear in single casted piece. That's like 100 parts that's currently welded on the Model 3 at Fremont factory down to single cast piece on the Model Y. o_O Tesla is wicked smart and they quickly learn from their mistake and evolve.

Here's Tesla Q4 earnings report from last night and you can scroll down in the report to see the Model Y pictures.

https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/b3cf7f5e-546a-4a65-9888-c928b914b529

And here's Nafnlaus on Twitter pointing out the cast Model Y piece from the earnings report. Nafnlaus is poster KarenRei at Tesla Motor Club forum. Wicked smart woman and avid Tesla fan.

Reactions: bigi

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Placed an order this morning for white/white LR. Probably a few months out behind all the performance orders but the $5k NJ rebate makes the jump to performance hard to justify when we already have the 3P.

Viper GTS

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I am digging the black Induction wheels with the blue metallic. Probably going to order that.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I like the black trim on the Model Y. Especially since I dislike silver trim and Tesla doesn't let you change trim colors. Though 21" wheels may annoy certain people who want that package. Personally I don't mind 21" or 22" wheels and I'm use to a firmer ride.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Expected range of the AWD vehicle has increased from 280 miles to 315!

Shot of the final production version - nose looks a little derpier & I'm not personally a big fan of the grater rims, but yay for the chrome delete!

y.jpg
Shot of the

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Aww, the 7-seat interior isn't available until 2021 :( Ah well, gives them time to get the bugs out!

I know it's not practical, but it'd be super-nice in a pinch!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Aww, the 7-seat interior isn't available until 2021 :( Ah well, gives them time to get the bugs out!

I know it's not practical, but it'd be super-nice in a pinch!

Only if you need room for turnips.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
FYI the deposit went from $2,500 to $100 if you want to pre-order one

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Guys who are getting the car some advice from a Telsa owner:

1. On car pickup.
  1. Bring a Flashlight - you will need this to see and check for any paint blemishes. Telsa's have THE WORST paint job done, so make sure you note and have Delivery Agent write down all the bad paint, and get some kind of resolution to them.
  2. Bring a Ruler - Welcome to Tesla and Misalignment. Your panels will almost guarantee not be perfectly aligned. Messure out those body gaps, if they are greater then 5mm ask to get it either refitted, or just walk away, refuse delivery on them noting car is not built to customer's acceptable specifictions. Be an ASS about it, as they will be a total DICK to you at the service advisors when you come in about a Rattle.
  3. Get in the car and jump around and try to listen to rattles. Tesla has now offically stated Rattles, Noises, Air leaks are NOT concisidered WARRENTY issues. YES you heard me right. You got a rattle now, well, you need to pay a diagnostic fee, and then they decide if its really warrenty or they charge you to fix it. (FML)
  4. Dont let your excitement get the better of you. If your even the slight bit unhappy with the car, DO NOT SIGN, and just WALK AWAY. Let the Delivery agent know you read Tesla Forums, and you know how horrible the service is on the car, so you want to walk away with a car as close to perfect as possible.
  5. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT GET SUCKERED INTO GETTING A USED TESLA FROM A TESLA CERTIFIED PREOWNED.

TESLA CPO is about as masochistic one can get in used car shopping.

Reactions: DooKey

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
My 3 has a pretty decent paint blemish on the driver's rear quarter panel.

Guess what?

IDGAF. I wrapped right over it.

This is a mile sink, not a garage queen. I'm trending to do 30,000 miles a year on it I'm going to put 100-150k on it and then out it goes for the next one.

There is no reason to be this picky on a car that is this utilitarian. Yes, their paint and general build quality blow compared to major manufacturers. I bought one anyway, knowing precisely what I was getting into.

If you want perfect go buy a Taycan or E-Tron.

Viper GTS

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Guess what?

This is a mile sink, not a garage queen. I'm trending to do 30,000 miles a year on it I'm going to put 100-150k on it and then out it goes for the next one.

There is no reason to be this picky on a car that is this utilitarian. Yes, their paint and general build quality blow compared to major manufacturers. I bought one anyway, knowing precisely what I was getting into.

Viper GTS

Hey, how's your experience been to date? General review-wise.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Hey, how's your experience been to date? General review-wise.

I ordered a Y, so that says something I think.

Overall it's still quite positive. I miss Android Auto and satellite radio. I'm not fully sold on the streaming thing as a music source, I dislike that if I (for example) pick an artist via Spotify and hit play on their top tracks list it just stops playing when it reaches the end of the list. I don't want to fuck with it while I'm driving, so then I drive in silence. Autopilot works really well and hasn't tried to kill me yet. The acceleration never gets old.

Build quality wise I have no major complaints aside from the paint blemish. I have a bit of condensation in a fog light which isn't ideal but meh whatever. I'm also not out looking for problems - I was 100% aware I was sacrificing build quality for performance/efficiency/overall value and I was fine making that trade. I checked a few basic things at pickup: Panel alignment seemed fine, the lift holes weren't torn up. That's basically all I checked and I don't regret it. Way less hassle than worrying about it.

The single biggest thing you notice IMO is every other car you drive after spending time in it seems absolutely ancient and the lag of power delivery is unforgivable. It completely rewrites your expectations but does it so subtly that you don't realize it has happened.

And then you end up with two of them.

Viper GTS

Reactions: Kaido and ponyo

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Guess what?

Viper GTS
I don't know about E-Tron but Taycan is no better when it comes to panel gaps. When Taycan was first released for journalists to review, there were lot of pictures of panel gaps on the Taycan. It's been couple months and I don't feel like hunting for old posts and pictures but here's quick Twitter post I found 5 seconds googling. I used to read lot about Taycan panel gaps on Tesla Motor Club forum.

I expect build quality for Model Y to be better than 3 since Tesla has made lot of improvements like using their patented giant casting machine to reduce number of welds needed. Those improvements will eventually filter down to the US made Model 3. Shanghai Model 3 already have lot of those improvements built from ground up and build quality is amazing from the pictures I've seen.

As far as the paint, I think that's the problem of having a factory in California. Lot of environmental regulations in regards to paint in CA.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I don't know about E-Tron but Taycan is no better when it comes to panel gaps. When Taycan was first released for journalists to review, there were lot of pictures of panel gaps on the Taycan.

Those are pre-production cars. Reviews of production euro models should be here any time now. Will have to see if the gaps are still there.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
This latest video from Rich Rebuilds reminds me that not everything that Tesla makes is awesome:

I think that I'll wait for some long term reviews of the Cybertruck or the Model Y before I'd consider getting one of those.

Last edited:

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
More than anything, I think this video is another example of why you don't buy first year models from any manufacturer.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Tesla just called me for a special Model Y event for people who pre-ordered. Notes:

1. The event is for people who pre-ordered, where you can drive an X, S, or 3. No Y (yet), unfortunately.

2. The Y starts shipping out next month.

3. Stores will get them to test-drive after the initial deliveries are made

4. You can't buy a Tesla in my state because they won't give Tesla a license to do so, but they can now do test-drives at the repair location, so once they get the showroom model in, I don't have to drive all the way to NY to check it out in-person. They also FEDEX the paperwork from Freemont to expedite the state registration process now, so you don't have to wait on that either. That's a lot smoother of a purchasing process than before. Previously you had to go to NY & they had to run someone to the DMV & then ship you plates later & all this weird stuff. I can't believe it's 2020 and my state is still playing silly legal games like this.

5. The delivery schedule is first come, first serve, so they'll start with people who pre-ordered the earliest, of course, but they said things will be moving along pretty quickly. She couldn't give me a firm date. From what I understand, the order of operations for delivery is (1) $2,500 deposit holders first, (2) stores second, and (3) then everyone else in line ($100 reservations).

My plan is:

1. Test-drive the Y when it becomes available (hopefully within the next few months)

2. Let them pump out 6 months+ of production & get the kinks out

3. See how delivery is around the end of the year

Guess it's time to move so I can get a garage with a charging port lol. I'm on month to month right now. RIP free time with no lawncare hahahaha!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Overall it's still quite positive. I miss Android Auto and satellite radio. I'm not fully sold on the streaming thing as a music source, I dislike that if I (for example) pick an artist via Spotify and hit play on their top tracks list it just stops playing when it reaches the end of the list. I don't want to fuck with it while I'm driving, so then I drive in silence. Autopilot works really well and hasn't tried to kill me yet. The acceleration never gets old.

Tesla's infotainment setup is... well... not great. It's like the system was implemented by a bunch of engineers with no thought to how people will actually use it. Hm, given my experience with software, that was actually probably how it happened. :p When Tesla finally made Spotify available in the US, I signed up for Spotify Premium and switched over to that. However, I was never a huge fan of the idea of paying for Premium Connectivity ($10 a month) and Spotify Premium ($10 a month) just to alleviate the fact that Slacker, which is a part of the Premium Connectivity package, isn't very good. Essentially, I don't want to pay for something that I don't want to begin with. At this point, I've actually gone back to my old ways and started using a USB drive again, which is what I did with my Ford cars. It isn't perfect as it suffers from the one issue that Tesla has with all of its music... poor randomization. Also, to my knowledge, voice commands are not supported with USB playback.

Ultimately, I think one of my biggest issues with Tesla is their lack of choice. I dislike that I'm stuck with AT&T and its worse performance in my area (and in general). When you have to use a hotspot on your phone just to give your car connectivity so it can formulate a navigation route, it makes you wonder what you're paying for. I dislike that Tesla still believes the single-screen dash is an effective driving concept. I dislike that I can't turn off Traffic-Assisted Cruise Control and just use normal cruise control. (Combine this with the fact that TACC still makes errors that cause the car to slow down for no reason.) I dislike that Tesla lacks a good way for users to submit bugs and actually know that something is being done about them. (No, saying "bug report..." into the voice command is not an effective method.) I submitted the dangerous and repeatable slowdown issue with TACC over a year ago and it still exists.

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
i'll prob be getting a model y next year. I have held on to my mazda 3 for 13 years and 215k miles. I think its time for a new vehicle.