Tesla Model Y

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
The whole family!

Looks like the Y is just about as tall as the X (last I read there was like a 1" difference), but significantly more narrow. Curious to see how the interior ergonomics compare.

bluey.jpg

tweakmonkey

Mar 11, 2013
tweak3d.net
Saw another Model Y this morning. Red this time - it doesn't look nearly as good as the blue. Sorry no pic. I'm sure I'll start seeing plenty more now!

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Those look like ones from the test runs. I would expect the actual cars for delivery to have a lot more protective wrap on them.

I am getting pretty excited. Wall charger should arrive next week and the electrician is installing in on the 13th.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Looks like USB-C for the back seats. They do sell USB-C to Lightning etc. so that's a pretty solid universal choice going forward:

usb.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
That guy is pretty small but those pictures are great.

My takeaways so far are:

1. It looks to be about the same footprint as the X

2. The back seats look...small. Like, real small. Not adult sized. And that's just the 5-seater. Given these pics, I wonder if the 7-seater is really gonna happen. A few years ago, Musk said he didn't want to shoehorn the Y onto the 3, but that's exactly what they ended up doing due to costs.

3. I'm curious about the thinner width, as compared to the X. The X is a decent fit for me (6' 0"). The 3's legroom in the front felt like sitting in a bobsled, very boxy for me. I'm curious to see if they made any ergonomic changes for the Y. I'd really like to sit in one & test-drive it sooner rather than later.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Looking real sharp in red:

red.jpg

Man that's a big nose:

red2.jpg

Trunk is going to be huuuuuuge, yay hatchbacks!

red3.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
A few more interior pictures:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
My takeaways so far are:

1. It looks to be about the same footprint as the X

2. The back seats look...small. Like, real small. Not adult sized. And that's just the 5-seater. Given these pics, I wonder if the 7-seater is really gonna happen. A few years ago, Musk said he didn't want to shoehorn the Y onto the 3, but that's exactly what they ended up doing due to costs.

3. I'm curious about the thinner width, as compared to the X. The X is a decent fit for me (6' 0"). The 3's legroom in the front felt like sitting in a bobsled, very boxy for me. I'm curious to see if they made any ergonomic changes for the Y. I'd really like to sit in one & test-drive it sooner rather than later.
I like the look and the size of the Y. It looks slightly smaller and narrower than the X. I think the Y looks better than the X.

The only thing I didn't like about the 3 was that the back seat leg depth was kind of shallow. I felt like the seat needed to be higher in the back or the foot well deeper. I think the Y won't have that problem because the back seat looks to be higher. That's the first thing I'm going to check on the Y. Overall, the Y looks to be fantastic vehicle based on the pictures, but we shall see if Tesla knocked it out of the park.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
We have a previous gen Acadia and a current gen X3. I'm hoping that it's a little bit smaller than the BMW. For a 7 seater, the Acadia does a good job, but size wise it's a big vehicle to get that much space. I don't see how they can cram 7 seats in the Y with how much that hatch slopes.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
We have a previous gen Acadia and a current gen X3. I'm hoping that it's a little bit smaller than the BMW. For a 7 seater, the Acadia does a good job, but size wise it's a big vehicle to get that much space. I don't see how they can cram 7 seats in the Y with how much that hatch slopes.
Seats are there. How you jam a human in there is your problem /Elon

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido and heymrdj

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I like the look and the size of the Y. It looks slightly smaller and narrower than the X. I think the Y looks better than the X.

The only thing I didn't like about the 3 was that the back seat leg depth was kind of shallow. I felt like the seat needed to be higher in the back or the foot well deeper. I think the Y won't have that problem because the back seat looks to be higher. That's the first thing I'm going to check on the Y. Overall, the Y looks to be fantastic vehicle based on the pictures, but we shall see if Tesla knocked it out of the park.

I think the Y will become their best-seller, for sure. Buy more stock now, while you can! lol

I do wish it had been built on Musk's new platform, but I understand why they went the route they did. My wife is excited about hers. I may pick one up & use it as a business car for a tax write-off...nearly all of my customers now have electric chargers on-site (I believe there were some incentives last year to get them installed on-premise). I spend $200+ a month in gas for my ICE vehicle right now, minimum, so the long-term fuel savings would be no joke for me! Could potentially drive a Y myself & then flip it for the Cybertruck. Then no worries about vehicles for the next 20 years! lol

PS - please donate to my Gofundme to finance all of these grand ideas

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Well you cannot accuse Tesla of not designing (3rd row) seating for midgets.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I think the sides and back of the Y look fine but that flat section on the nose makes it look like it was in an accident. I think because it was lower on the 3 that it didn't catch my eye as much but this one looks odd. Maybe that's why the other E manufacturers still have some sort of grill/design in the front.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Edit: Someone re-uploaded it

Last edited:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
The previous gen Acadia is great because of how much space it has. It's 3rd row is actually usable for adults.

117cu ft of cargo space is huge. You physically cannot package that into a smaller vehicle. That's more than your X3's total interior volume and more than double it's cargo volume. Maybe Elon can sell a shrink ray too.....

Reactions: heymrdj

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Great stuff. What a beautiful car in many respects!

Good times. Tesla Model 3 has destroyed everything sales-wise including those 'lexury' models from Germania.

Now, the Tesla Model Y is going to obliterate small CUV/SUV segment.

The Semi, Cyber and Roadster are 3 cherries on top.
Bonus - New S and New X (PLAID) in the summer.
Bonus 2 - New battery tech(s)
Bonus 3 - Completely rewritten FSD soon.