Super Tuesday Results

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Crazy that we as a society insist on voting in people that are a few years away from being in a nursing home. They had perfectly good candidates that weren't 80 yet they are going to go with a senile Biden. Guy has the crazy eyes. Totally incoherent. Klobuchar was my favorite Dem candidate btw. Very smart, experience, realistic views and policies.
Who are you fucking kidding? Amy my ass, you would have voted for the senile Trump.

Reactions: feralkid

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So Bloomburger is out... will he continue to pour millions into defeating Trump?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The myth of tribalist economic recovery

Same as the Democrats did during the Bush years.

How did that work out in 2016?

The candidate factors into this as well

Yes, concern squad is often concerned by my opinion when not busy with their buckets and straw.
Let me just dispel your Trumpesq lie of a post. You learn well I see
10.4.19.png

Reactions: brycejones

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Cable news ran story after story about the mean Bernie supporters, a narrative that you're now parroting uncritically. The reason that you're not posting any specifics is that there is no real evidence of it. I think it's the perfect metaphor for what happened last night.

I don't watch cable news. If you're down to arguing like this with people who actually voted for him...best of luck.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I don't watch cable news. If you're down to arguing like this with people who actually voted for him...best of luck.

You don't need to watch cable news to absorb the message. Obviously someone or something put that idea in your head since I highly doubt you witnessed any abuse or aggressive behavior by Sanders campaign staff first hand.

What are you wishing me luck on?

Feb 4, 2009
Cable news ran story after story about the mean Bernie supporters, a narrative that you're now parroting uncritically. The reason that you're not posting any specifics is that there is no real evidence of it. I think it's the perfect metaphor for what happened last night.

There is some truth to this in my life.
My Wife voted for Bern in 2016 Primary, last week she got a text from some dude and I know it’s a bulk machine text saying “are you voting for Bern?”
She replied not sure, what about his heart attack.
Few hours later she got some snotty text back about how vigorous Bernie is and check out some video of him running some bases at a softball game. Does that look like a unhealthy man?

Kind of irritated Her. Not sure how she voted yesterday. I’m going to guess she didn’t vote for Bern. I won’t speak with Her until tomorrow AM we both have after work stuff going on but I’ll ask her next chance.

To me the smart reply would have been something like:
I understand your concern. Bernie’s heart is in good shape per whatever exam. Wouldn’t it be great if we all had excellent health coverage?

Big opportunity missed, negative response instead of a positive response. Classic sales failure.

Coming back to your statement, Bernie Bros can be very obnoxious. Bernie needs to tame them and bring some standard processes so everything is consistent.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Trump's inability to meaningfully improve economic conditions must mean that for 2020 they will jump ship. After all, economic concerns are what drove people to Trump to begin with, right?

...right?

You keep stating this, but it is not accurate. Economic concerns are what made the electorate easily to manipulate. Trump used Xenophobia as a Scapegoat for people who were still hurting from the 2008 meltdown. He hasn't helped them, nevertheless it is the underlying condition that he has exploited.

Mar 11, 2004
I think this has a lot to do with what AOC said about in no other country would she and Biden be in the same party. True liberal progressives don't fit into the Dem party really. So lots refuse to vote I'd imagine. They want a party that represents them.

And as we see with Brexit and the same shitshow everywhere else, multiparty systems don't fare any better with regards to this type of stuff, so people need to get the fuck over it. Just like the morons constantly bemoaning the lack of some perfect messiah candidate. No such person exists. Never has, never will. People need to get the fuck over it and start using their brains, and using logic and rationality.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I'm not sure I understand why that would be the case, if anything I imagine Medicare would eventually eat the private insurance sector. You make it so if you want to pay (or if your employer wants to pay) for private insurance out of pocket then you can do so, otherwise you join Medicare. There would be no public funding of any private insurance options.
While this is how it would ideally work, in practice it leaves the door open for republicans to more easily chip away at it because there is a private option. I could see it going the exact same way as education is going, where republicans start to pass legislation permitting vouchers for private insurance. This eats away at the funding for medicare for all. Study after study has shown that public schools in America are superior to charter schools in general, yet charter schools continue to pull resources away from our public education system.

Additionally with medicare for all who want it, it would seem you maintain the hellish landscape for billing and insurance including the in and out of network mess we currently have. You also eliminate the promise of medicare for all which would ensure your can keep your current doctor (there's no way to lose your doctor if there is only one network). A lot of the benefits of medicare for all can only be realized through universality.

I do agree, Pete's plan is politically easier. I just worry that we try it, and because its a half measure it doesn't work as well as it should, and as a result we end up back where we are right now.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
And as we see with Brexit and the same shitshow everywhere else, multiparty systems don't fare any better with regards to this type of stuff, so people need to get the fuck over it. Just like the morons constantly bemoaning the lack of some perfect messiah candidate. No such person exists. Never has, never will. People need to get the fuck over it and start using their brains, and using logic and rationality.

This is an unsustainable situation. The US is slowly but steadily drifting Right and only a sudden shift is going to stop it.

Feb 4, 2009
While this is how it would ideally work, in practice it leaves the door open for republicans to more easily chip away at it because there is a private option. I could see it going the exact same way as education is going, where republicans start to pass legislation permitting vouchers for private insurance. This eats away at the funding for medicare for all. Study after study has shown that public schools in America are superior to charter schools in general, yet charter schools continue to pull resources away from our public education system.

Additionally with medicare for all who want it, it would seem you maintain the hellish landscape for billing and insurance including the in and out of network mess we currently have. You also eliminate the promise of medicare for all which would ensure your can keep your current doctor (there's no way to lose your doctor if there is only one network). A lot of the benefits of medicare for all can only be realized through universality.

I do agree, Pete's plan is politically easier. I just worry that we try it, and because its a half measure it doesn't work as well as it should, and as a result we end up back where we are right now.

Never thought of this and it is a smart observation

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You didn’t refute anything.
HomerJS said:
Trump who was handed an economic gem made that disparity worse yet you felt no need to criticize.

I have to admit you are a funny fucking liar. However your lies are turning your face into a puss filled boiling orange mess.

Congrats you've morphed into your hero.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

I have to admit you are a funny fucking liar. However your lies are turning your face into a puss filled boiling orange mess.

Congrats you've morphed into your hero.
Edgy. You still haven’t refuted anything I wrote.

Reactions: qliveur

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Those are very reasonable concerns, I agree. Regardless of what he's trying to implement though at a minimum Bernie would be better off lying about it and pretend that he supports medicare for all who want it or whatever then. It's just the world's easiest thing to campaign against - death panels times 100.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
There is some truth to this in my life.
My Wife voted for Bern in 2016 Primary, last week she got a text from some dude and I know it’s a bulk machine text saying “are you voting for Bern?”
She replied not sure, what about his heart attack.
Few hours later she got some snotty text back about how vigorous Bernie is and check out some video of him running some bases at a softball game. Does that look like a unhealthy man?

Kind of irritated Her. Not sure how she voted yesterday. I’m going to guess she didn’t vote for Bern. I won’t speak with Her until tomorrow AM we both have after work stuff going on but I’ll ask her next chance.

To me the smart reply would have been something like:
I understand your concern. Bernie’s heart is in good shape per whatever exam. Wouldn’t it be great if we all had excellent health coverage?

Big opportunity missed, negative response instead of a positive response. Classic sales failure.

Coming back to your statement, Bernie Bros can be very obnoxious. Bernie needs to tame them and bring some standard processes so everything is consistent.

This shit is so obnoxious and patronizing. I'm sorry a campaign volunteer was rude to your wife, I'm sure across the spectrum of Sanders's supporters there were volunteers that texted or said mean things and dumb things over the phone or while knocking on doors. The idea that stuff like that had any impact is ludicrous to me.

Nov 29, 2006

Well when no party represents a huge portion of peoples ideology, then many will just give up. I don't blade them to be honest. Id rather have a true multiparty system where "Bernie Bros" for example can be represented by a party that suits them, instead of always choosing the lesser of two evils approach where neither party is progressive enough for them. Were fucked either way, we may as well have choices that align with our ideologies.