Super Tuesday Results

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Looks like Bernie didn’t learn anything from 2016 and has decided to stay in the race despite almost no chance of getting a delegate lead.

Can't even wait for the one on one debate?

He's not running against Hillary this time and it's pretty obvious at this point she was worth +20% or so vote share in Bernie's favor in 2016, probably more in some states. He's done.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
He's not running against Hillary this time and it's pretty obvious at this point she was worth +20% or so vote share in Bernie's favor in 2016, probably more in some states. He's done.
Yeah, and I figured up until election night that Clinton was the likely winner, so we can wait a little longer for things to shake out.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Yeah, and I figured up until election night that Clinton was the likely winner, so we can wait a little longer for things to shake out.

I'm not urging him to drop out like others are. I'm just realistic about his prospects if he does however. He's the Black Knight at this point.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It's basically his last chance, I'm allowed to hope for an underdog redemption arc to counterpoint the second act villain's initial victory :)

(Not referring to Biden as the villain here, for clarification)

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I’m just going to leave this here in the hope that some read it and come around to the reality of the situation. I have no clue who this guy is, but his perspective resonates with my own (he just put things a lot more succinctly than I could!)

This applies to both “Bernie Bros/Broads” and conservatives who claim they’d “vote out Trump...but for Biden!”

Here’s the truth...I’m a straight, white, christian, educated American male who makes a fuckton of money. Elections can’t even touch me. Fuck it, vote for Trump. Or ignore Biden because your favorite Grandpa didn’t get the nod. Go for it. I still win. Trump is a plus for me. 1/

The thing is, he’s still a cancerous ghoul whose only goal is power and wealth and he’s happy to take a big syphilitic piss on the Constitution and the institutional strength of America to do it. But again, I still win. I’ll pay lower taxes and my kids will surpass yours. 2/

I get why people like the guy—especially fat-faced dimwits. He’s the dumb bully they never got to be. He exudes a tasteless person’s vision of status. He’s what every angry moron thinks he’d be if only the liberals/Jews/welfare queens/etc. hadn’t ruined the American dream. 3/

Doesn’t really matter though. I still win. I’ll wiggle out of income taxes and send my kids to private school and never worry about insurance and buy a boat named “$elf Made.” I’ll buy houses to rent to 40-ish millennials with in their twitter names who can’t afford to buy. 4/

And you’ll either vote for the next Trump (you idiot) or boycott the next Biden because you grew up in the era of fake internet points and
Change.org petitions and you think fleeting, peacocking displays of your ethical rectitude mean fuck-all in the real world. 5/

Or maybe you’ll realize that the reason I’m saying all this asshole-ish but truthful shit is because you (you, me, the broader we) actually have to quit pretending that being a pissbaby about your candidate is going to do anything but make life worse for vulnerable people. 6/

It doesn’t matter that you liked Bernie. Or Warren (man I liked Warren) or McKinsey Pete or whoever the fuck Tom Steyer is. It doesn’t matter. They lost. And pretending that someone who can’t beat Joe Fucking Biden was going to win the general is asinine. 7/

Because here’s the thing—the real thing. You’ve got to give a shit about other people. A kid in Pennsylvania is counting on you to send Betsy Devos packing so he can have a school lunch—the only real meal he gets in a day. RBG is out here clingin to life to save jurisprudence. 8/

People from all degrees of marginalized existences—the poor, LGBTs, immigrants, your grandma with diabetes, minorities—are counting on you to stop wilfully making shit worse by “stanning” some defunct candidate and giving more power to the grifters and single-issue fuckwits. 9/

So sit around and pet your crotch about how Bernie was going to forgive your loans from your semiotics degree at Swarthmore. Or maybe just grow up a little and stop making the world better for people like me and worse for people to whom we owe a duty of care as fellow humans. 10/

Care about the greater good for once—not just your infantile, idealized, selfish version of it. Care enough about your country to put away your fantasies about loan forgiveness and stop the guy whose goal is “well done steak cooked over the ashes of American governance.” 11/

Or, don’t. Like I said. I’ll be fine. Looking forward to that boat, really. 12/12

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I’m just going to leave this here in the hope that some read it and come around to the reality of the situation. I have no clue who this guy is, but his perspective resonates with my own (he just put things a lot more succinctly than I could!)

This applies to both “Bernie Bros/Broads” and conservatives who claim they’d “vote out Trump...but for Biden!”

Here’s the truth...I’m a straight, white, christian, educated American male who makes a fuckton of money. Elections can’t even touch me. Fuck it, vote for Trump. Or ignore Biden because your favorite Grandpa didn’t get the nod. Go for it. I still win. Trump is a plus for me. 1/

The thing is, he’s still a cancerous ghoul whose only goal is power and wealth and he’s happy to take a big syphilitic piss on the Constitution and the institutional strength of America to do it. But again, I still win. I’ll pay lower taxes and my kids will surpass yours. 2/

I get why people like the guy—especially fat-faced dimwits. He’s the dumb bully they never got to be. He exudes a tasteless person’s vision of status. He’s what every angry moron thinks he’d be if only the liberals/Jews/welfare queens/etc. hadn’t ruined the American dream. 3/

Doesn’t really matter though. I still win. I’ll wiggle out of income taxes and send my kids to private school and never worry about insurance and buy a boat named “$elf Made.” I’ll buy houses to rent to 40-ish millennials with in their twitter names who can’t afford to buy. 4/

And you’ll either vote for the next Trump (you idiot) or boycott the next Biden because you grew up in the era of fake internet points and
Change.org petitions and you think fleeting, peacocking displays of your ethical rectitude mean fuck-all in the real world. 5/

Or maybe you’ll realize that the reason I’m saying all this asshole-ish but truthful shit is because you (you, me, the broader we) actually have to quit pretending that being a pissbaby about your candidate is going to do anything but make life worse for vulnerable people. 6/

It doesn’t matter that you liked Bernie. Or Warren (man I liked Warren) or McKinsey Pete or whoever the fuck Tom Steyer is. It doesn’t matter. They lost. And pretending that someone who can’t beat Joe Fucking Biden was going to win the general is asinine. 7/

Because here’s the thing—the real thing. You’ve got to give a shit about other people. A kid in Pennsylvania is counting on you to send Betsy Devos packing so he can have a school lunch—the only real meal he gets in a day. RBG is out here clingin to life to save jurisprudence. 8/

People from all degrees of marginalized existences—the poor, LGBTs, immigrants, your grandma with diabetes, minorities—are counting on you to stop wilfully making shit worse by “stanning” some defunct candidate and giving more power to the grifters and single-issue fuckwits. 9/

So sit around and pet your crotch about how Bernie was going to forgive your loans from your semiotics degree at Swarthmore. Or maybe just grow up a little and stop making the world better for people like me and worse for people to whom we owe a duty of care as fellow humans. 10/

Care about the greater good for once—not just your infantile, idealized, selfish version of it. Care enough about your country to put away your fantasies about loan forgiveness and stop the guy whose goal is “well done steak cooked over the ashes of American governance.” 11/

Or, don’t. Like I said. I’ll be fine. Looking forward to that boat, really. 12/12

There is some legitimate concern about Biden's age and mental state. Not enough to justify voting against him currently but hopefully if it deteriorates rapidly between now and November the Dems can replace him so it's not an excuse to vote against him then. Same health/senility risks for Trump but his core supporters probably wouldn't care. Not like I'm voting for Trump regardless but seriously don't want to have someone obviously impaired as the alternative since that will deeply screw with the relative odds for each candidate. Nightmare scenario is one of them succumbs to covid-19 after nomination throwing the race into complete chaos.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
really
I found Bill to be the best President in modern history
my income grew exponentially during that time
deficit was eliminated
plenty of jobs in my area
expanding benefits at those jobs
fewer America fuck yeah world police mission
plus it was just a good time in general.
thats the main reason I voted Hillary, I find it amazing someone had a bad time in the 94-00 timeframe.

That had shit to do with Bill (and also ignoring the recession right after he left). People give presidents waaaay too much credit for the state of the economy.

Feb 4, 2009
That had shit to do with Bill (and also ignoring the recession right after he left). People give presidents waaaay too much credit for the state of the economy.

Well because the recession happened after he left office and I agree it is stable policy that allows growth not a specific thing a President can do.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

Vote Shaming is stupid.

Vote for who you believe in during the primaries. No shame in that. Just don’t go crying about “DNC establishment!” or “rigged process!” or “Biden is losing his shit!” when your candidate fails to bring in the votes. For all of Biden’s real and supposed faults, bottom line is he’s more electable than Sanders—and that’s all that matters now. Even Bernie understands this, judging by his comments today.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Vote for who you believe in during the primaries. No shame in that. Just don’t go crying about “DNC establishment!” or “rigged process!” or “Biden is losing his shit!” when your candidate fails to bring in the votes. For all of Biden’s real and supposed faults, bottom line is he’s more electable than Sanders—and that’s all that matters now. Even Bernie understands this, judging by his comments today.

Baseless assertion. Like I said, attract who you want to vote for you. No one owes you(Democratic Party) a Vote.[/B]

Reactions: soulcougher73

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Sanders has given up. He just won’t concede yet. Like whomever get the VP nod, they will add their 2 cents to the agenda. Sanders just wants to mold Biden to one that some of the Bernie Bros will support.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Sanders has given up. He just won’t concede yet. Like whomever get the VP nod, they will add their 2 cents to the agenda. Sanders just wants to mold Biden to one that some of the Bernie Bros will support.

I think so, yeah. The upcoming debate more feels like it's going to be more of a forum of progress and publicly reminding Joe of his unprogressive stances. Bernie will speaking more to the party than to the candidate.