Street Fighter 4 out for PC tomorrow

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I played through on ryu, easy mode, and died a couple times (much more used to Ken's attacks and moves), and beat the game which unlocked this girl.

I then played through with her until Seth and damn, cannot beat him with her to save my life. Her attacks are too weak and he has a lot of stamina.

Ryu is also a lot weaker then Ken in this game it appears. And Vega.. wow, what a joke.

Sagat is OP but fun, and Ken is probably the best all around imho.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: slag
I played through on ryu, easy mode, and died a couple times (much more used to Ken's attacks and moves), and beat the game which unlocked this girl.

I then played through with her until Seth and damn, cannot beat him with her to save my life. Her attacks are too weak and he has a lot of stamina.

Ryu is also a lot weaker then Ken in this game it appears. And Vega.. wow, what a joke.

Sagat is OP but fun, and Ken is probably the best all around imho.

heh Seth is tied for the lowest stamina in the game (800pts) and also the lowest stun in the game (750pts) so it's not his stamina holding you back :)

sakura on the other hand is pretty weak.

Dangerer

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2005
I think he's referring to arcade mode seth which has a different stamina, stun and damage set.

also this may come as a surprise to you, but ken is actually one of the weaker characters in the game and ryu one of the strongest.

Spot on with vega being a joke though haha, you know capcom really screwed vega over when even newbies to the game can immediately spot what a crap character he is.

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
That's interesting. I destroyed Seth with C. Viper. Her medium and roundhouse kicks just lay into him when you block his little dark grey suit thing. I completely owned him with M.Bison as well. Mixed results otherwise.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Dangerer
I think he's referring to arcade mode seth which has a different stamina, stun and damage set.

also this may come as a surprise to you, but ken is actually one of the weaker characters in the game and ryu one of the strongest.

Spot on with vega being a joke though haha, you know capcom really screwed vega over when even newbies to the game can immediately spot what a crap character he is.

last SF I played was SF 2 and it was a blast.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
bought it yesterday, so worth the money

Runs fantastic on my system at 1600x1200 with 2xAA and v-sync enabled

XBL name is quado0119

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Still getting my butt kicked here. Can anyone say what the best control layout is for a logitech dual action gamepad? That's what I'm using instead of the keyboard and I don't know enough about the game to choose a good layout. Thanks.

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: fatpat268
Wow, there's never been a video character that I've hated more than Seth.

That bastard is way too difficult even on easy. Cheats like hell.

Or maybe I suck, but still.

I agree, alot of people who say he sucks here, but that is not entirely true well atleast in arcade(what im currently doing) i have not played all that much but i did go through arcade with Ken with best of 3, not sure if it was easy or medium, when i reached Seth he is a walk in the park in the 1st round after that he is about everything fatpat said. I tried many times to take him down but always 2 to 1 victory for seth, the last match i did before I quit out of frustration he was only a light punch away from defeat and then pulls off all these cheap ass attacks to wipe my 1/4 of vitality left.

At that time i struggled to pull off basic hadokens when i really needed it that really made the difference, only thing about street fighter games that i hate. Its odd cause when i was messing with training i did not have that problem but in arcade even before Seth i was having a hard time. I am using the fight pad style controller as well.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
Still getting my butt kicked here. Can anyone say what the best control layout is for a logitech dual action gamepad? That's what I'm using instead of the keyboard and I don't know enough about the game to choose a good layout. Thanks.

Try using the keyboard. Seriously, it is much easier than using a gamepad. Control is very precise with the keyboard. Seth is cake for me except for when I use Guile.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I use :

LP= A
MP = S
SP = D
LP+MP+SP = F

LK = Z
MK = X
SK = C
LK + MK + SK = V

Space Bar for the new special unblockable attack... whatever that is called..
Shift for Throw

As I have said before, the only moves I have trouble with on the keyboard is the 360. I can land them but I almost have to be getting up or jumping in to land them.

Oh yeah, I just use Arrow keys for direction.

Try it out for a while and I bet you wil find it is easier than a gamepad.. unless you are really used to a gamepad. I have never liked gamepads much myself.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I'm currently playing with the pitiful 360 controller. I never actually understood why the dpad was bad for fighting games until now. I can't even reliably do a quarter circle forward without jumping. I've been resorting to the keyboard more and more lately for characters that use the quarter circle in their attacks a lot.

One type of character I just don't understand are the charge characters. I mean, I understand them and I can do the moves, but it seems like you'd have to be pretty damn good to get some of these moves off in a match.

But hopefully my control woes will be fixed because I bought a TE Fightstick from buy.com for $125. It'll be here monday. :)

Dangerer

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2005
I'm currently playing with the pitiful 360 controller. I never actually understood why the dpad was bad for fighting games until now. I can't even reliably do a quarter circle forward without jumping. I've been resorting to the keyboard more and more lately for characters that use the quarter circle in their attacks a lot.

One type of character I just don't understand are the charge characters. I mean, I understand them and I can do the moves, but it seems like you'd have to be pretty damn good to get some of these moves off in a match.

But hopefully my control woes will be fixed because I bought a TE Fightstick from buy.com for $125. It'll be here monday. :)

The game was definitely made to be played using a traditional arcade stick, but be prepared to be frustrated for at 10-20 hours of play before you adapt even marginally to the arcade stick. My advice is to stick with it and hit up training mode for 10-15 minutes anytime before playing to practice getting those motions down. Turn the volume up and look at your hands to while going through the special moves motions to verify your doing the motions correctly and your hands are in sync.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
I just ordered it. Should get it by Wednesday. :) Have to fit up my fightstick before then. At least fix the flaw with the washer.

How about opening a new thread? The title for this one doesn't seem that fitting.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Dangerer

The game was definitely made to be played using a traditional arcade stick, but be prepared to be frustrated for at 10-20 hours of play before you adapt even marginally to the arcade stick. My advice is to stick with it and hit up training mode for 10-15 minutes anytime before playing to practice getting those motions down. Turn the volume up and look at your hands to while going through the special moves motions to verify your doing the motions correctly and your hands are in sync.

Oh, I'm already generally frustrated :D

I can't win consistently on ranked matches, and I know this won't change that in the near future. But it will give me room to improve, whereas the 360 controller really wont.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Damn, I was really looking forward to use my wired 360 controller for this. I don't even own a 360.

This investment seems to prove more worthless as time goes on. Playing HAWX with it was only fun for about 20 minutes.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Heh, using whatever control method I choose except for an arcade stick, I just seem to push buttons randomly which causes me to punch and kick like a fool. I'm going to try and find a combo list.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: minmaster
hey guys, how about this $17 PS3 joystick for this game?

http://www.buy.com/prod/playst...6522124/211468049.html

can't get cheap as this, but will this work ok with SF4 PC?

That looks like a nifty little thing. I am not sure how it would perform but you could go ahead and be the guinea pig so the rest of us know :D It would be nice to get a little joystick without having to spend a ton of cash.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Heh, using whatever control method I choose except for an arcade stick, I just seem to push buttons randomly which causes me to punch and kick like a fool. I'm going to try and find a combo list.

do the trial challenge mode, it will teach you a ton of combos, both beginner to expert.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Coool, I still suck but I feel a lot better about playing. Hard to read the command list for special moves when it uses a joystick symbol and other buttons, but I'll pick it up in time. Anyone want to spar a little? :)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Coool, I still suck but I feel a lot better about playing. Hard to read the command list for special moves when it uses a joystick symbol and other buttons, but I'll pick it up in time. Anyone want to spar a little? :)

i can give you a beating later on tonight if you want :p

purbeast is my tag.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Sure, my tag is theodoxgotan. I haven't really picked a fighter yet, but hopefully I will have by then.