Street Fighter 4 out for PC tomorrow

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
just got this...and it's so fun

seth is so cheap

do we have a at sf iv group yet?

btw, i use rumblepad2 and it's great

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Abel is a pain in the ass to fight. He just rolls around so you can't hit him and grabs you from a mile away and does is tornado throw or whatever it is the whole match. Computer players seem to grab you whenever they want, even if you're in the middle of doing a combo on them, or doing a kick slide.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Well I just put a fresh install of XP Pro SP3 on my gaming machine and I'm having the exact same issue as I was in Windows 7: the Mad Catz fightpad just does not work. It's identified as an XBox 360 controller and Windows installs a driver for it, but it doesn't do shit. In the game the controller is dead.

I downloaded the Mad Catz Xbox driver, same thing.

And finally downloaded the Microsoft driver recommended on Mad Catz site, it doesn't work either.

I have an Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo, so it's not the Nvidia chipset issue.

Looks like I may be sending this thing back...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: hungfarover
Well I just put a fresh install of XP Pro SP3 on my gaming machine and I'm having the exact same issue as I was in Windows 7: the Mad Catz fightpad just does not work. It's identified as an XBox 360 controller and Windows installs a driver for it, but it doesn't do shit. In the game the controller is dead.

And finally downloaded the Microsoft driver recommended on Mad Catz site, it doesn't work either.

is it just not working for that game or at all? do you have it set in the sf4 launcher as the controller to use?

my joystick work on ps3 and xbox360, and it activates which mode its in based on a switch. i have loaded up sf4 w/it in the wrong mode (well wrong cause i dont have the buttons config set right) and when I unplug the controller, switch it to the other mode, and plug it back in my PC, it will not work in SF4 until i reboot the game.

doubt that is your issue but thought i'd throw it out there.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
yea try to config the controller in the launcher. make sure all the buttons are mapped to a function.

kkk60091

Jun 28, 2007
Mad Catz fightpad 360 version doesn't need to be configured though sf4 launcher .
if you need to change setting, you need to change it in game.

the PS3 version, you do need to map it through sf4 launcher.

if your fightpad doesn't work, either it is broken or incompatible with the motherboard chip.....

Dangerer

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2005
how easy is it to find a player match on the PC compared to xbox live? I'm probably gonna buy this game on steam if there's sufficient people to play against.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Dangerer
how easy is it to find a player match on the PC compared to xbox live? I'm probably gonna buy this game on steam if there's sufficient people to play against.

360 has more people than PC, but PC has more people than PS3.

that is what i've experienced thus far.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
What is the focus attack exactly? The game only allows 8 commands to be bound to controller...I mean I'd have to eliminate medium kick or something to bind 'Focus attack'. Not sure why they set it up like that. What button is focus attack supposed to be anyways? I have 4 buttons still free, but like I said the options only allow 8 commands to be bound when there are 9 total commands.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: fustercluck
What is the focus attack exactly? The game only allows 8 commands to be bound to controller...I mean I'd have to eliminate medium kick or something to bind 'Focus attack'. Not sure why they set it up like that. What button is focus attack supposed to be anyways? I have 4 buttons still free, but like I said the options only allow 8 commands to be bound when there are 9 total commands.

the 'focus attack' button mapping is simply a macro for MP + MK at the same time. just like the 'throw' or 'personal action' mappings are just LP + LK and HP + HK. then you have the mapping to have all kicks or all punches.

none of those are necessary at all in order to get good at the game or play well.

what i want to know is why do you have 4 buttons free still? most controllers/joysticks have 8 buttons, and 6 of those should be the regular attacks.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Ah thanks, wish the game would tell you some of these tings :x

Using a PS2 controller. Using SNES style controls with L2 being LP+MP+HP and R2 being LK+MK+HK

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: hungfarover

is it just not working for that game or at all? do you have it set in the sf4 launcher as the controller to use?

my joystick work on ps3 and xbox360, and it activates which mode its in based on a switch. i have loaded up sf4 w/it in the wrong mode (well wrong cause i dont have the buttons config set right) and when I unplug the controller, switch it to the other mode, and plug it back in my PC, it will not work in SF4 until i reboot the game.

doubt that is your issue but thought i'd throw it out there.

It's not working at all. The launcher sees it just fine, too.

One thing that leads me to believe it's either broken or incompatible with my motherboard is that once I actually press buttons on it after the game launches, the big green "X" (from the Xbox logo button) blinks and just keeps blinking, then the controller goes dead. If I look in Device Manager after that it says "this device has malfuncitoned".

I have the day off tomorrow, so I'm going to call Madcatz tech support.

May 13, 2009
Wow just got it yesterday. Its a great game. I have it turned all the way up and running it at 1920x1080p with my gtx 280 and core i7 920. Has anyone played this on the ps3 and 360 if so how do the graphics compare?

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: OILFIELDTRASH
Wow just got it yesterday. Its a great game. I have it turned all the way up and running it at 1920x1080p with my gtx 280 and core i7 920. Has anyone played this on the ps3 and 360 if so how do the graphics compare?

It's butter smooth with the rig in my sig @1080p, no AA, 16x AF and all settings maxed :D

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: OILFIELDTRASH

res on PC is obviously better, but other than that they look the same pretty much.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Dangerer
Yo... add me if anyone wants to play

my windows LIVE ID is redsh1ft

how do you think the online compares to xbox360 online?

we should run some games on there. i saw yo usign on last night but figured you were on 360 heh.

who are you maining now a days? sagat still?

Dangerer

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2005
I still use sagat, but when playing online I use as much of the cast as I can until I run into someone I clearly can't beat with anyone else.

So far online PC online isn't as great as xbox but I'm in no position to complain with my xbox being repaired at the moment. The biggest issue I have is that most of the people I play are running the game at settings higher than their computer can handle causing some matches to run at 20-30fps. I actually even had a guy apologize to me after his game crashed during ryu's ultra animation.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I want to get better at this game, a keyboard isn't cutting it for me. But on the other hand, I don't really want to drop 100+ dollars on an arcade stick for a game I might not stick with. Is there a happy "middle ground" for a controller for this game on pc? Thanks.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Wow, there's never been a video character that I've hated more than Seth.

That bastard is way too difficult even on easy. Cheats like hell.

Or maybe I suck, but still.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: fatpat268
Wow, there's never been a video character that I've hated more than Seth.

That bastard is way too difficult even on easy. Cheats like hell.

Or maybe I suck, but still.

Yeah you suck but don't worry, you'll learn to beat him :p

If he's your most hated character you probably haven't played any SNK bosses.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I dunno, just when I think I've learn to beat Seth he starts kicking my arse again. It has a lot to do with character selection. I went 6-0 on Seth, had a few good runs with 3 different characters. Then there's some characters whom with I could fight Seth 30 times on Easy and still not win. I got to Seth easy with C. Viper but she's so weak I could hit him 1000 times and he'd still have 75% stamina. I still think Abel is a bigger comp cheat. Comps will "throw" you in the middle of an ultimate combo if they want to :p - Or they'll grab you from about 5 character lengths away, or 'grab' your foot if you kick at them.

Anyhow...I can't imagine the game on hard mode, that's going to make me :(

I don't understand the Trial Challenges after level 2...what are you supposed to do? I always use the first couple levels to learn all of a character's moves, but then beyond level two they want you to do combos but they never register as a success. Like with Ken the command they issue calls for a Heavy Kick->Hadouken combo but I can do them as fast as possible and it never counts. Guess I have to string them together somehow? Plus there's like 10 challenge trials for each character...how can there be so many of them when they show you all the character's possible moves in the first two stages? :p

Dorkenstein if you already have a PS2 controller around you should use that (need to buy an adapter). It works alright...I'll never be satisfied unless playing with something really high quality like a SF4 fightstick but I'm not going to pay $150 either, so that's kind of a bummer the game needs such accuracy. It's damn near impossible to do Guile's ultimate combo on this thing.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Originally posted by: fustercluck
I dunno, just when I think I've learn to beat Seth he starts kicking my arse again. It has a lot to do with character selection. I went 6-0 on Seth, had a few good runs with 3 different characters. Then there's some characters whom with I could fight Seth 30 times on Easy and still not win. I got to Seth easy with C. Viper but she's so weak I could hit him 1000 times and he'd still have 75% stamina. I still think Abel is a bigger comp cheat. Comps will "throw" you in the middle of an ultimate combo if they want to :p - Or they'll grab you from about 5 character lengths away, or 'grab' your foot if you kick at them.

Anyhow...I can't imagine the game on hard mode, that's going to make me :(

I don't understand the Trial Challenges after level 2...what are you supposed to do? I always use the first couple levels to learn all of a character's moves, but then beyond level two they want you to do combos but they never register as a success. Like with Ken the command they issue calls for a Heavy Kick->Hadouken combo but I can do them as fast as possible and it never counts. Guess I have to string them together somehow? Plus there's like 10 challenge trials for each character...how can there be so many of them when they show you all the character's possible moves in the first two stages? :p

Dorkenstein if you already have a PS2 controller around you should use that (need to buy an adapter). It works alright...I'll never be satisfied unless playing with something really high quality like a SF4 fightstick but I'm not going to pay $150 either, so that's kind of a bummer the game needs such accuracy. It's damn near impossible to do Guile's ultimate combo on this thing.

Level 3 Trial challenges can be a little difficult... partially being that some of the combos aren't explained very well. It takes some practice, but if you hit all the buttons you need to at the right time, it'll be one fluid motion. If it helps, write down the button presses on paper that you'll need to do to accomplish the combo and practice that.

I'm playing on a 360 wireless controller, but I got a TE fightstick on it's way (125 bucks at buy.com), so it's still nigh impossible for me to do Zangief's Ultra without mashing on the dpad.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I can confirm that MadCatz sticks for PS3 work with PCs. Not on AMD chipsets, though. :( Apparently the drivers aren't there for AMD chipsets' USB controllers. A quick work-around for AMD users is to purchase a VIA chipset based USB PCI card. (~$10 if you look around)