Stacey Irvine, 17, collapses after eating only McDonald's chicken nuggets since age 2

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
why should you make a separate meal for them? food is expensive and a bitch to make 2 meals.

I wouldn't. I'd cook a meal I think they would like, staying away from using things I know they dislike just like I do when I cook for friends and family. I love food and I love to cook food, I'd want my kids to feel the same way and I don't believe it helps forcing them to eat things they do not appreciate.

they need to try EVERYTHING. because as you say their palet is not done. one day they may hate broccoli but the next week it may click and they will love it (wich btw happened to my son heh).

Try? Yes, of course I agree with that. Preferably several times too, in different ways if possible. But if you get to a point where it's clear the child doesn't like it, I don't see the point in forcing it.

I believe that if you include the kids in the process of making food, getting them exited about tastes and textures, they'll want to try more. Setting down a plate on the table and saying "Eat or go hungry" doesn't work for me.

I've cooked a lot of food with my younger cousins, who are ridiculously picky with food (spoiled brats) and they are much more open-minded to different ingredients when they participate in the cooking process.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm pretty sure Wales is on the British Isles, am I wrong or are you stating that Great Britain isn't a bunch of islands?

Wales is indeed part of the British Isles, however Wales is not an island.

And you still gonna go to jail.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I wouldn't. I'd cook a meal I think they would like, staying away from using things I know they dislike just like I do when I cook for friends and family. I love food and I love to cook food, I'd want my kids to feel the same way and I don't believe it helps forcing them to eat things they do not appreciate.

Try? Yes, of course I agree with that. Preferably several times too, in different ways if possible. But if you get to a point where it's clear the child doesn't like it, I don't see the point in forcing it.

I believe that if you include the kids in the process of making food, getting them exited about tastes and textures, they'll want to try more. Setting down a plate on the table and saying "Eat or go hungry" doesn't work for me.

I've cooked a lot of food with my younger cousins, who are ridiculously picky with food (spoiled brats) and they are much more open-minded to different ingredients when they participate in the cooking process.

oh i do have the kids help make it. They need to learn to cook. They are involved in the decisions nearly every night.

we try to avoid things i know they hate. but when 3 people in the family love taco's and one hates it guess what? im not going to make the other 3 go without. my daughter will eat at least 1. she won't be going hungry.

Same thing we will make stuff my son hates and i hate (pasta. i can't stand pasta). again i eat it and they know i dislike it. again why should i make 2 meals? I have to be able to fallow the rules too or they won't.

there are times when its something i know they love and just don't want it. No way in hell will i make a 2nd meal and yes they can go hungry that night if they refuse to eat it. they aren't going to die over missing a evening meal. but again most times they eat some at least.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Don't worry First, when I want them to learn how to pick up things off the ground, around the 1 year old mentality level, I'll send them to your training shop. Why waste my time when I can throw you a bone or two right? :D

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
oh i do have the kids help make it. They need to learn to cook. They are involved in the decisions nearly every night.

we try to avoid things i know they hate. but when 3 people in the family love taco's and one hates it guess what? im not going to make the other 3 go without. my daughter will eat at least 1. she won't be going hungry.

Same thing we will make stuff my son hates and i hate (pasta. i can't stand pasta). again i eat it and they know i dislike it. again why should i make 2 meals? I have to be able to fallow the rules too or they won't.

there are times when its something i know they love and just don't want it. No way in hell will i make a 2nd meal and yes they can go hungry that night if they refuse to eat it. they aren't going to die over missing a evening meal. but again most times they eat some at least.

I really don't think we have anything to argue over here. I wouldn't cook additional meals either.

Though I really don't have a problem cooking rice along with the pasta as an alternative ;)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I really don't think we have anything to argue over here. I wouldn't cook additional meals either.

Though I really don't have a problem cooking rice along with the pasta as an alternative ;)

rice is one of our favorite things to eat. There is so damn much you can do with it!

hmm think i will have some for dinner (sniff im all alone tonight. daughter is at gymnastics and son with his cousins going to pizza hut )

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
It's so revealing to see just how badly the worst posters here were brought up, gives massive insight into all that crazy/stupid/paranoia.

Don't worry First, when I want them to learn how to pick up things off the ground, around the 1 year old mentality level, I'll send them to your training shop. Why waste my time when I can throw you a bone or two right? :D

lol, who the fuck claims they know how to raise kids without having any. Hey I bet that bump on your head is a tumor, I should operate. I've never performed surgery but I bet it's just like on TV.

Oh chucky, you're too cute.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
But yeah, you're a horrible parent, the parents job to let them grow to become the person they will become.

You don't have the first clue what it means to be a good parent.

Not to be a fucking dictator who forces meals down their throat.

Seriously? You just sit back and let the kids do whatever they want?

Somebody please tell me he's trolling.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'll say that three years ago I would have said "wow, those parents fail". And I still do, to a degree. But speaking from personal experience I can't always fault parents when it comes to raising kids and I have no respect for anyone without kids who takes the "eat it or starve" stance.

As a relatively new parent it was very difficult for me to realize that my boy was underweight. At the age of one he was so skinny that he weighed less than 98% of all 1yo American boys. At 18 months he weighed less than 99.5% of boys. It got so bad that the pediatrician jokingly said "You need to slather every bite he eats in butter"; she must have gone to the Paula Deen medical school. We've been mixing Carnation Breakfast powder into all his milk. We feed him healthy food but we have to make sure that he gets as many calories as he can, and it's not always easy.

If I and my wife were so self-absorbed, stupid, and irresponsible enough to think that "eat it or starve" was an acceptable parenting technique our son would be dead. Luckily for him we're a bit more mature than that and at the age of two he's up to the 9th percentile for weight. Every little bit helps...

So you're forcing him to eat more calories even when he doesn't want to?

Isn't that what you're saying parents aren't supposed to do?

According to these British twats, you should allow your child to starve himself if that's what he wants, otherwise you're a fascist.

Must be something about the bombing of London that still has them scared of fascists. Maybe the Germans were dropping schnitzel and forcing them all to eat it?

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
People in poor health tend not to be fat.

I am having to explain this to someone who has passed middle school? COME ON!
Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
"Eat it or starve" is a ridiculous technique for kids under about 7, and I can only assume people that suggest it are either childless or new parents. Young kids don't think like adults. They will literally refuse the food and then starve to dangerous levels.

Then again, these are probably the same people that suggest "let the baby cry for hours, they will learn to sleep" is also a great technique.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
ps, to the people saying she looks good for eating only chicken nuggets. i disagree. her skin looks terrible.

edit- wolf and if you watch BigHead you'll see a guy who eats nothing but FF but loses weight and gets healthier ZOMG! I lost 60 pounds last year and I increased my fat intake and I never cut fast food from my diet, ZOMG!
That is all well known, unless you work for a MSM-aligned disease-related organization. They all seem to be oblivious to anything their sponsors haven't paid for. Long-term, eating only or mostly fast food is bad for you. Short-term, it would all be about your menu selections.

As for the OP, if you read the article, she states that she does eat other foods. Not good foods, but other foods than just chicken nuggets, which would explain why she's managed to survive OK. Coming from a family full of picky eaters, I think bfdd has as much of a clue as chucky2; but any parent should make their kids try many different foods, especially if they don't want to try new ones, and specifically limit bad foods.

Fast food like McDs can be addictive (fat+salt+sugar->pleasure), and is heavily marketed towards kids. There will be very few young children that will eschew fast food. Any kid that only eats fast food definitely has a failure of a parent. There is no way in Hell that there would not be a myriad of foods she would have been eating, if her parents hadn't given into the fast food whims for so many years.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Has McDonald's ever defined the word "chicken".
Think about it...
Just don't eat it...

Jun 26, 2007
smartest thing you said ..

but the fact you seem ignorant of is that it is also the parents job to make them do things that they don't want to do that is good for them. Such as getting there shots, going to school, etc.

NOT having them eat a healthy meal is hurting them. NOT exposing them to every kind of food is hurting them (btw you do know that kids will hate one thing then sometimes love it a week latter. wich is why they should try everything over and over).

the ultimate goal of a parent is having a healthy child. both in body and mind. So i do things they don't like (and i don't either) for them to be heatlhy not as punishment. part of that is being a better person, better parent and better off then there parents.

making them eat veggies? keeping junk food away? keeping fit with exercise? yeah things they need. My son would prefer to stay in and play video games or his lego's and eat junk food. so am i being a bad parent like you claim by not allowing that? fuck no only a idiot thinks that.

IF i knew they would be healthy with such a lifestyle i would allow it. fact is they won't.

the mother in the article? a fucking failure.

That is all good and well but making them eat foods they have to swallow five times for every bite is not a parents job.

That was the point i was making, that force feeding your children things that makes them puke in their mouths isn't a bright idea.

Or are you one of those idiots that believe that it cannot be healthy if it tastes ok and since you have to endure the taste of crap your kids should be forced to do so too?

I am not even sure we disagree much here, it's just you acting like a hardarsed idiot who thinks his kids should be treated worse than his pets... You couldn't and wouldn't MAKE your pets eat something they don't like but you demand it from your children?

Son, i've raised two children and am a grandfather and they have NEVER been forced to eat any meal they actually disliked, i raised both of them ALONE and while my cooking hasn't always been great, it got better and i sincerely doubt you and your ms's ever provided a more nutritious meal than what my kids ate and loved to eat three times a day.

"they'll eat what is on their plate" is something you'd NEVER force a dog or a cat to do but somehow, in the US, that is an ok thing for your children? Are you that fucking daft over there?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2007
What's wrong with that?
The meat we eat comes from animals that eat plants, so in essence we are eating plants right?

Well, except for that if you don't eat it raw you don't get enough vitamin C, pretty much nothing, with an addition of a couple of oranges you can live just fine just eating meat.

To actually be in good healt, a more varied diet is a better choice though but a perfect diet would be a varied dish of fruits and meat.

You don't actually need sugars or starches and if you are not all that fond of potatoes, rice or pasta, you really should not eat it, it is NOT decent food, we don't need that amount of carbs.

The reason we got these big brains was because of fruits and berries, not because of white bread, white rice or overcooked potatoes.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
If all you ate was one thing you would end up dying...no one food has all the needed nutrients, etc., that a human needs. This is why we are omnivores.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The reason we got these big brains was because of fruits and berries, not because of white bread, white rice or overcooked potatoes.

I actually saw a show on this on the Discovery Health Channel (I think it was that channel). They attributed the enlarged brain size to cooking our meat. Cooked meat is far easier to digest. Digestion requires a lot of energy. Brains require a lot of energy. Reducing the energy needed for digestion allowed that free energy to be used by larger brains.

That is the ultra simplistic explaination of it.

They also explained why we sweat. Creatures who sweat are distance runners while those who do not cannot run for long periods of time...they overhead. We simply would run our prey to death. They supported it with the large butt muscles humans have and many other things.

Very neat show.

Jun 26, 2007
I actually saw a show on this on the Discovery Health Channel (I think it was that channel). They attributed the enlarged brain size to cooking our meat. Cooked meat is far easier to digest. Digestion requires a lot of energy. Brains require a lot of energy. Reducing the energy needed for digestion allowed that free energy to be used by larger brains.

That is the ultra simplistic explaination of it.

They also explained why we sweat. Creatures who sweat are distance runners while those who do not cannot run for long periods of time...they overhead. We simply would run our prey to death. They supported it with the large butt muscles humans have and many other things.

Very neat show.

Then you misunderstood it or it was a travesty of a program.

Our brains don't require proteins, they are made up of fatty tissue and use carbohydrates for energy, this isn't up for discussion, it's been known for 100 years. I'll go with fruits and berries for 1 trillion dollars Alec.

The rest is so ... stupid... we're not great runners, humans never hunted based on outrunning others and ALL animals have a way to release excessive heat.

The fastest sprinter and the most durable runners on earth, Cheetas and Elephants, don't sweat at all.

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
Then you misunderstood it or it was a travesty of a program.

Our brains don't require proteins, they are made up of fatty tissue and use carbohydrates for energy, this isn't up for discussion, it's been known for 100 years. I'll go with fruits and berries for 1 trillion dollars Alec.

The rest is so ... stupid... we're not great runners, humans never hunted based on outrunning others and ALL animals have a way to release excessive heat.

The fastest sprinter and the most durable runners on earth, Cheetas and Elephants, don't sweat at all.

There is a theory now that humans evolved to be persistence hunters by developing a more advanced cooling system than other animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_running_hypothesis

I'm not 100% sold on it though as it seems to be quite a difficult way of acquiring food compared with other techniques especially when you consider that we have an intelligence advantage over prey animals.