Stacey Irvine, 17, collapses after eating only McDonald's chicken nuggets since age 2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
See, this is where it's easily understood that you are not a parent because if you were, you'd be a fuckup as a parent.

None of what you propose is ok and you can't force children to eat or starve, once you have a child (heaven forbid) you'll know that.

As it is though, you should NEVER procreate.

I think, that as my family is doing just fine, with two children and one grand child, your advice is better fit for the trailer trash that are your neighbours.

That you've had kids and they've had a kid is not an accomplishment. We have 5th generation ghetto/trailer park folks here to manage to do that without problem (to say nothing of the 3rd world).

Ironic you call me trailer trash isn't it? If I wasn't taking care of my parents, I'd be in a solid middle class to upper class house...not too bad an accomplishment from the lower middle to middle class I was raised in. You on the other hand from your previous posts are what, in your late 30's or 40's, something like that (I'd think an alleged captain in the SAS surely wouldn't be in their 50's)? You have a grandkid in your late 30's/early 40's? You guys either like to have'em really young for some reason, or, you're way closer to trailer trash than I... :biggrin:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Parenting fail.

Sometimes you do things just because you have to. Do you compromise with the electric company if you don't like paying the bill and just pay half? Do you compromise with your boss and come in every other day?

Besides, we all know kids say they don't like something they've never tried. I can't tell you how many things I had to get my daughter to eat that she refused at first, and after trying it now she loves it. If I hadn't forced her to eat them, she'd still be demanding the same meal every day.

Kids are more spoiled than ever, and society is starting to see the results.

/this

i can't count the number of times my kids have said they don't like something then end up loveing it. hell even after having it 2-3 times and hateing it all those times they can try it again and then end up loving it.

I don't want to force them to eat stuff they don't like but as part of my job as a parent i have to force them to eat stuff.

If it was ok i would let them eat candy, hotdogs, fast food all the time. but that is not healthy. While they would gladly eat that crap it is my job to stop them.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Or you just don't know how little tolerance I have for that kind of bull shit. It isn't abuse if they refuse to eat food, they live in MY world and I define what food is, not them.

ps. waggy sounds like he has his shit down. JOS sounds like a soccer mom. pathetic.

It is if they die! I'd like to see you use that line on the Judge.

"It wasnt abuse, they live in my world!"

Lol, really, some of you people really have self importance issues.

Jun 26, 2007
lol you are a idiot.

A parents job is to teach them and guide them. part of that is teaching them to eat a balanced meal. Children don't always want to. IT is my job to guide them and if need be force them

Kids don't want to go to the doctor or dentist either. Should i not take them? or should i force them to get the shots they nee? should i force them to go to school?

a parents job is to guide them. the ultimate goal is they are healthy not just in body but also in mind. My kids eat healthy meals. even if its something they don't like. why should the rest of us have to eat what they want every night? live is about choices, and compromises. they learn both.

to let the child dictate what they eat is idiotic. A sign of a bad parent is one that will not stand up to the child.

lol "bad parent" yeah fuck you. you ignorant pile of shit. considering you don't know what a good parent is its rather laughable.

See, i kinda knew this would happen when i wrote it, and i regretted saying you're a bad parent as soon as i had posted it.

But yeah, you're a horrible parent, the parents job to let them grow to become the person they will become.

You don't have the first clue what it means to be a good parent.

Not to be a fucking dictator who forces meals down their throat.

It's rather laughable that you commended me as a parent in a few posts above and am now saying that i don't even know what a good parent is.

If you took that much offense it's because of guilt.

I'm sorry that you are feeling guilty but that is NOT my fault.

Jun 26, 2007
That you've had kids and they've had a kid is not an accomplishment. We have 5th generation ghetto/trailer park folks here to manage to do that without problem (to say nothing of the 3rd world).

Ironic you call me trailer trash isn't it? If I wasn't taking care of my parents, I'd be in a solid middle class to upper class house...not too bad an accomplishment from the lower middle to middle class I was raised in. You on the other hand from your previous posts are what, in your late 30's or 40's, something like that (I'd think an alleged captain in the SAS surely wouldn't be in their 50's)? You have a grandkid in your late 30's/early 40's? You guys either like to have'em really young for some reason, or, you're way closer to trailer trash than I... :biggrin:

Too much boring, too little substance, the deer is teal.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
He's American, they consider their children to be as property over there.

They even have laws that protect the parents when they beat their children...

I shit you not...

Not condoning beating a child, and I'm sure you're exaggerating anyway, but frankly, refusing to ensure your kid's diet is healthy because they don't like it is just as abusive and damaging to their health as physical abuse.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

his post like these make me beleive he is really a officer in the milatary. He is so out of touch with how to raise a child. Wich can be explained by a harsh life in the military. From my experiance with people who make a life in the military they either fall into 2 types of parents. the insanly harsh parents who treat the kids like they are in boot camp or parents like him that go the other direction.

he may think he is doing good but in truth he really has no clue. he acts as if forcing a child to eat healthy is abuse when it is the opposite.

Jun 26, 2007
Not condoning beating a child, and I'm sure you're exaggerating anyway, but frankly, refusing to ensure your kid's diet is healthy because they don't like it is just as abusive and damaging to their health as physical abuse.

In what way am i exaggerating?

There are a multitude of meals that are nutritious and better than what almost every dipshit on this forum eats and kids love it.

But nah, force them to eat shit they don't want to eat, that WILL BE A GREAT CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCE FOR THEM!

GO RETARDS, RUIN YOUR KIDS CHILDHOOD FOR NO GOOD REASON, IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Parenting fail.

Sometimes you do things just because you have to. Do you compromise with the electric company if you don't like paying the bill and just pay half? Do you compromise with your boss and come in every other day?

Besides, we all know kids say they don't like something they've never tried. I can't tell you how many things I had to get my daughter to eat that she refused at first, and after trying it now she loves it. If I hadn't forced her to eat them, she'd still be demanding the same meal every day.

Kids are more spoiled than ever, and society is starting to see the results.

Not really. Kids have their dislikes like adults. Would you force an adult to eat something they dont like?

My kid doesn't like mushrooms, aubergine or mussels, anything else he'll have a go at. I'm quite happy to cook him stuff without those things in or if thats not possible then he can pick them out.

He's being reasonable by trying everything else and not making a fuss. Why shouldnt I be reasonable and meet him half way?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
See, i kinda knew this would happen when i wrote it, and i regretted saying you're a bad parent as soon as i had posted it.

But yeah, you're a horrible parent, the parents job to let them grow to become the person they will become.

You don't have the first clue what it means to be a good parent.

Not to be a fucking dictator who forces meals down their throat.

It's rather laughable that you commended me as a parent in a few posts above and am now saying that i don't even know what a good parent is.

If you took that much offense it's because of guilt.

I'm sorry that you are feeling guilty but that is NOT my fault.

Your sense of self-aggrandization is misplaced. He did not actually say you're a good parent, you decided to twist his statement to mean that. He said success as a parent is raising children better than you. This blanket statement did not necessarily infer that you were a good parent, so you can probably stop patting yourself on the back about it.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
It is if they die! I'd like to see you use that line on the Judge.

"It wasnt abuse, they live in my world!"

Lol, really, some of you people really have self importance issues.

Self importance issues? lols, says the idiot who would rather raise terrible humans than let someone starve. Keep adding to the problem.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Self importance issues? lols, says the idiot who would rather raise terrible humans than let someone starve. Keep adding to the problem.

Are you reading a different forum to this one or just confused?

Could you quote that bit? I can quote the bit where you'd rather they die than not do what they were told.

Jun 26, 2007
Not really. Kids have their dislikes like adults. Would you force an adult to eat something they dont like?

My kid doesn't like mushrooms, aubergine or mussels, anything else he'll have a go at. I'm quite happy to cook him stuff without those things in or if thats not possible then he can pick them out.

He's being reasonable by trying everything else and not making a fuss. Why shouldnt I be reasonable and meet him half way?

I completely agree with you, when my daughter got old enough she explained to me that it was the texture of those foods that made her throw up.

So she doesn't serve Nova those either because she does the same thing.

And given that we are not Americans we don't HAVE TO FORCE OUR CHILDREN to eat it.

Apparently in the US, that is the law, either that or parents hate their children over there.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I'll say that three years ago I would have said "wow, those parents fail". And I still do, to a degree. But speaking from personal experience I can't always fault parents when it comes to raising kids and I have no respect for anyone without kids who takes the "eat it or starve" stance.

As a relatively new parent it was very difficult for me to realize that my boy was underweight. At the age of one he was so skinny that he weighed less than 98% of all 1yo American boys. At 18 months he weighed less than 99.5% of boys. It got so bad that the pediatrician jokingly said "You need to slather every bite he eats in butter"; she must have gone to the Paula Deen medical school. We've been mixing Carnation Breakfast powder into all his milk. We feed him healthy food but we have to make sure that he gets as many calories as he can, and it's not always easy.

If I and my wife were so self-absorbed, stupid, and irresponsible enough to think that "eat it or starve" was an acceptable parenting technique our son would be dead. Luckily for him we're a bit more mature than that and at the age of two he's up to the 9th percentile for weight. Every little bit helps...

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
In what way am i exaggerating?

That there are laws protecting people who beat their child. I'm sure you will respond to this with some state law that actually has nothing to do with child abuse, but whatever, that's your thing. Either way, my statement stands - letting a child grow up ignorant and unhealthy because you're "letting them grow into the person they will become" is plenty abusive.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Are you reading a different forum to this one or just confused?

Could you quote that bit? I can quote the bit where you'd rather they die than not do what they were told.

I'd rather a lot of people die than waste resources or be pieces of trash. Raising people who refuse to eat certain types of foods is raising trash people. I eat WHATEVER I WANT. I have ever since I was old enough to have a job, my parents bought the food they wanted and the food they wanted to feed my siblings and I for the most part. It was their money, their effort, etc. Why should I be such a piece of shit as to discomfort them? You're garbage you know that? You cannot even think about this from both perspectives. You cannot view the situation through the eyes of a child nor of a responsible adult. You only see the world in one shade, moron.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

as a adult they are free to make there own decisions. I will continue to tell them that they are makeing wrong ones though and offer my advice.

My kids hate those too. I will avoid them if we can. if not they can pick them off. our point is they have to eat veggies and whatever the family meal is. I am not going to make a special meal for them.

We have veggies with lunch and dinner every day (i make the meals at home about 95% of the time). they have to eat a helping every day. do they like it? nope. do i care? not really. veggies are healthy and they really need them. Same thing goes with fast food. we get it..rarely. its a treat that we do on occasion such as sunday my daughter had a gymnastics tourny we had it on the way home as a celebration. My job is to keep them from having it since it is very unhealthy. if it was up to my son he would have it every day.

Meeting the child half way is fine. letting them dictate what is made (well we do on weekends. each kid gets to pick dinner one night) every night and not forcing them to eat healthy is another.

I think you and john are missign what we are saying.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2007
Your sense of self-aggrandization is misplaced. He did not actually say you're a good parent, you decided to twist his statement to mean that. He said success as a parent is raising children better than you. This blanket statement did not necessarily infer that you were a good parent, so you can probably stop patting yourself on the back about it.

Herpaderpaderp?

Shut up you daft twat, what use are you in this or any other thread? Just piss off you daft piece of sheit.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
his post like these make me beleive he is really a officer in the milatary. He is so out of touch with how to raise a child. Wich can be explained by a harsh life in the military. From my experiance with people who make a life in the military they either fall into 2 types of parents. the insanly harsh parents who treat the kids like they are in boot camp or parents like him that go the other direction.

he may think he is doing good but in truth he really has no clue. he acts as if forcing a child to eat healthy is abuse when it is the opposite.

Well, I'd believe he's in the military. I don't buy he's an officer, just based on some really inane past postings of his. If he's an officer, then I pray to god it's just in an regular line type of unit, or maybe the mess hall or something. No one would want someone like this in command of children, much less an elite group that wields awesome power when deployed.

I cannot believe any parent would allow their kids to essentially run the household, but, each and every time you think you won't find another, poof!, another comes into view. One can only shudder to think how these kids from families like this turn out (and turn out in Reality, not how they're presented to have turned out). Shudder....

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'll say that three years ago I would have said "wow, those parents fail". And I still do, to a degree. But speaking from personal experience I can't always fault parents when it comes to raising kids and I have no respect for anyone without kids who takes the "eat it or starve" stance.

As a relatively new parent it was very difficult for me to realize that my boy was underweight. At the age of one he was so skinny that he weighed less than 98% of all 1yo American boys. At 18 months he weighed less than 99.5% of boys. It got so bad that the pediatrician jokingly said "You need to slather every bite he eats in butter"; she must have gone to the Paula Deen medical school. We've been mixing Carnation Breakfast powder into all his milk. We feed him healthy food but we have to make sure that he gets as many calories as he can, and it's not always easy.

If I and my wife were so self-absorbed, stupid, and irresponsible enough to think that "eat it or starve" was an acceptable parenting technique our son would be dead. Luckily for him we're a bit more mature than that and at the age of two he's up to the 9th percentile for weight. Every little bit helps...

Dont sweat it too much.

If he's full of life and energy then he's probably fine. Lots of boys are skinny as rakes. He'll fill out later.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
That there are laws protecting people who beat their child. I'm sure you will respond to this with some state law that actually has nothing to do with child abuse, but whatever, that's your thing. Either way, my statement stands - letting a child grow up ignorant and unhealthy because you're "letting them grow into the person they will become" is plenty abusive.

I not only believe it to be abusive, I believe it to be morally reprehensible. It should be a crime to raise terrible people. It seriously should. Motherfuckers need to accept some goddamn responsibility for bringing pieces of shit into the world.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Herpaderpaderp?

Shut up you daft twat, what use are you in this or any other thread? Just piss off you daft piece of sheit.

Thank you for essentially admitting that you are unable to form an even somewhat relevant retort, and as such will spout gibberish and insults.