Stacey Irvine, 17, collapses after eating only McDonald's chicken nuggets since age 2

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-eating-McDonalds-chicken-nuggets-age-2.html

Inflamed veins in her tongue and anemia. She collapsed after having difficulty breathing.

Seems like a scare story against Mcdonald's
article-2092071-11770CE3000005DC-712_634x697.jpg

From looking at her pic you wouldn't think she ate only fast food every day, but her tongue tells a different story.

Misleading info on the site also in that they show daily recommended value for "salt" instead of sodium. Mayo clinic recommends 2,300 mg of sodium per day.

Not a bad looking girl for having eaten in a 15 year timespan more chicken nuggets than all of P&N combined.

Oct 16, 1999
I'm surprised she's even lived to 17. The salt intake is the least of her worries, she's surely done irreparable harm to herself being nutrient deficient during her developmental years. You can't hold this against McDonald's, there's a parental and failure and psychological issues at work here.

Ketchup is probably the only thing that has saved her from dying of scurvy.

Last edited:

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Yeah she's cute and looks reasonably fit, for now, but at that age, you aren't going to see the problem yet. If she were to continue with that sort of diet into her 30's, she'd turn into a blimp.

I would think that the problem here is with the parents. I don't care how obstinate the kid is. You can't let your child eat only fast food 24/7. It's not like a child has any money to buy food for themselves. Just tell them you either eat better foods or you starve.

Edit: I recommend the documentary Supersize Me for a rather hair raising account of a vegan who decides to eat nothing but McDonalds for a month, and what happens as a result.

- wolf

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Some parents are unbelievably weak willed. Give the kid a F'ing 'eat it or wear it' rule, plunk a normal dinner down in front of them, and have dinner. They'll figure out they can either eat it fresh, eat it after scraping it off their face, and if necessary, eat for breakfast or dinner the next day what was on their face and they didn't eat the night before. It's unreal what some parents today will allow their 'little angels' get away with...

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I am glad I don't have any foreign fast food joints in my city. Especially, no Mcdonald's:)

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Some parents are unbelievably weak willed. Give the kid a F'ing 'eat it or wear it' rule, plunk a normal dinner down in front of them, and have dinner. They'll figure out they can either eat it fresh, eat it after scraping it off their face, and if necessary, eat for breakfast or dinner the next day what was on their face and they didn't eat the night before. It's unreal what some parents today will allow their 'little angels' get away with...
Yep, a lot cater to their kids' food desires constantly, like hot dogs for most of the meals, it's fvcking pathetic.

Seems like this girl should be on freaky eaters. They had a guy on there who has eaten virtually only meat for years, for example.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I just don't understand it. Some of these parents actually think it's important what their kids think. Newsflash: What a 2-14 year old thinks is inconsequential. You are the parent, The Boss, start acting like one. I literally have to bite my tongue sometimes, it's sickening...

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
If you ask me, this story pokes a lot of holes in the whole SuperSize Me / McDonalds will kill you thing.

Frankly, eating just one, incomplete type of food exclusively is not going to be healthy, whether its Chicken Nuggets or something else. Very few foods are nutrient-complete enough to actually be a diet on its own. So the fact that she got sick is irrelevant - it has little to do with the fact that it was McDonald's. However, if the fast food horror stories are to be believed, she'd be 500 pounds and 14 years in the grave.

As this story should help prove (but likely won't because no one likes to blame themselves), McDonald's isn't the problem, bad parenting is.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I just don't understand it. Some of these parents actually think it's important what their kids think. Newsflash: What a 2-14 year old thinks is inconsequential. You are the parent, The Boss, start acting like one. I literally have to bite my tongue sometimes, it's sickening...

Um, do you actually have kids?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Nope, no kids. If/When I have them, they'll be on the 'eat it or wear it' plan, just like I was. Somehow, I was able to survive eating normal foods in normal quantities, even if I didn't like them. Shocker, I know...

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Yeah, don't have any till you change your attitude a bit, eh?

Why, so the kitchen can become a restaurant because the kids dictate what's cooked? So the kids can whine, get their way, and the parents can be their slaves? F that.

Kids are kids, adults are bosses. When the kid turns 18, he/she can eat whatever they want all the F'ing time (provided they can pay for it), it's then their problem. Until then, they can sit the F down, and eat what's in front of them. Don't like it? Too F'ing bad. Tantrum? No problem, let me mash it up, stick your face in it, smush it back and forth. Good now? No? No problem, go to bed (if you're homework is done), and you can have it for breakfast tomorrow. We can try again then...I'm sure it'll taste well enough to eat sooner or later.

That's good parenting...bargaining, pleading, begging, kowtowing, is not.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Why, so the kitchen can become a restaurant because the kids dictate what's cooked? So the kids can whine, get their way, and the parents can be their slaves? F that.

Kids are kids, adults are bosses. When the kid turns 18, he/she can eat whatever they want all the F'ing time (provided they can pay for it), it's then their problem. Until then, they can sit the F down, and eat what's in front of them. Don't like it? Too F'ing bad. Tantrum? No problem, let me mash it up, stick your face in it, smush it back and forth. Good now? No? No problem, go to bed (if you're homework is done), and you can have it for breakfast tomorrow. We can try again then...I'm sure it'll taste well enough to eat sooner or later.

Just saying that if you get this angry just writing about it and not actually having kids then having kids might not be for you.

And mashing their food up and sticking their face in it is not, in any way, good parenting.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Not really angry, more like cynically resigned to ineffective parents.

Kids need carrot and stick. Some kids will not respond well to the small sticks, which means, you need to break out bigger ones. If your kids eat whatever you cook, and you don't have to cook around the kids, that's great. If your kids want to be whiny picky eaters, and you then foster that by cooking around them, bowing to their whining, that's not great.

Actions have consequences. Want to whine at the dinner table? There's consequences. That's a good thing, not bad.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

If you really think it's that simple, it's because you haven't had kids yet. Good luck.

That said, you're somewhat correct, particularly with young children in this type of situation. I don't understand how it's difficult to control the food intake of a 2 year old. You put the food in front of them and leave it there till they eat it because that is what they're getting. By the time they're in their mid teens it gets to be a problem controlling what they eat, but if you don't let them eat McNuggets every day from age 2, they stand a better shot of making the right choices for themselves later on. I don't get how the 2 year old got her way here. It's weird.

Jun 26, 2007
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-eating-McDonalds-chicken-nuggets-age-2.html

Inflamed veins in her tongue and anemia. She collapsed after having difficulty breathing.

Seems like a scare story against Mcdonald's
article-2092071-11770CE3000005DC-712_634x697.jpg

From looking at her pic you wouldn't think she ate only fast food every day, but her tongue tells a different story.

Misleading info on the site also in that they show daily recommended value for "salt" instead of sodium. Mayo clinic recommends 2,300 mg of sodium per day.

Not a bad looking girl for having eaten in a 15 year timespan more chicken nuggets than all of P&N combined.

Salt is generally NaCl and 2.3 grams is not more than you get from a serving of Mc's chips.

Pure sodium... try putting that in your mouth, your face would explode if you did. In real life salt (as in NaCl) is the actual term.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I'd say she doesn't look like 300lb person I'd expect from eating McD all of her life. But I guess the difference is in the blood.

Jun 26, 2007
Not really angry, more like cynically resigned to ineffective parents.

Kids need carrot and stick. Some kids will not respond well to the small sticks, which means, you need to break out bigger ones. If your kids eat whatever you cook, and you don't have to cook around the kids, that's great. If your kids want to be whiny picky eaters, and you then foster that by cooking around them, bowing to their whining, that's not great.

Actions have consequences. Want to whine at the dinner table? There's consequences. That's a good thing, not bad.

It's obvious that you were an abused child who still is a child.

You need help!

Jun 26, 2007
I'd say she doesn't look like 300lb person I'd expect from eating McD all of her life. But I guess the difference is in the blood.

People in poor health tend not to be fat.

I am having to explain this to someone who has passed middle school? COME ON!

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
If you really think it's that simple, it's because you haven't had kids yet. Good luck.

That said, you're somewhat correct, particularly with young children in this type of situation. I don't understand how it's difficult to control the food intake of a 2 year old. You put the food in front of them and leave it there till they eat it because that is what they're getting. By the time they're in their mid teens it gets to be a problem controlling what they eat, but if you don't let them eat McNuggets every day from age 2, they stand a better shot of making the right choices for themselves later on. I don't get how the 2 year old got her way here. It's weird.

It is that simple. I, and my brother, lived 'that simple'. We didn't like spaghetti for 6 months straight, but, we ate it. We didn't like liver, or veal, or lima beans, but we ate those too. We each only had to wear food a couple times before figuring out, a.) dad isn't F'ing around and b.) better to choke it down than wear it and choke it down. This isn't beating the kids with a hammer type sh1t, I don't know why this idea is so abhorrent.

And I'll tell you why it's so difficult for so many parents. They both work now. The last thing they want to do when they get home is cook (which is why the food is so unhealthy), much less fight with their little lovely(s). So they just do whatever since it's fast, and make sure it's what the kid wants because they don't want to listen to it (either because they're tired and just don't feel like fighting the kid, or, because they can't just bear to cause little precious any emotional turmoil).

Then they wonder why their kids are so F'd up in their teenage and later years...

Jun 26, 2007

I'm going to take a wild guess, you don't get it because you were not there to do it?

You don't get that you're into a whole mess unless they eat, their bodies are almost instantaneous, do you think you can just put them to bed and they won't cry ALL night if you don't feed them?

You're fucking happy to serve them what they'll eat but if there is some sense in your skull you'll only serve them proper foods.

God i wonder how the US will turn out in 20 years given the parenting of todays retards.