Stacey Irvine, 17, collapses after eating only McDonald's chicken nuggets since age 2

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sonicdrummer20

Jul 2, 2008
That is all good and well but making them eat foods they have to swallow five times for every bite is not a parents job.

That was the point i was making, that force feeding your children things that makes them puke in their mouths isn't a bright idea.

Or are you one of those idiots that believe that it cannot be healthy if it tastes ok and since you have to endure the taste of crap your kids should be forced to do so too?

I am not even sure we disagree much here, it's just you acting like a hardarsed idiot who thinks his kids should be treated worse than his pets... You couldn't and wouldn't MAKE your pets eat something they don't like but you demand it from your children?

Son, i've raised two children and am a grandfather and they have NEVER been forced to eat any meal they actually disliked, i raised both of them ALONE and while my cooking hasn't always been great, it got better and i sincerely doubt you and your ms's ever provided a more nutritious meal than what my kids ate and loved to eat three times a day.

"they'll eat what is on their plate" is something you'd NEVER force a dog or a cat to do but somehow, in the US, that is an ok thing for your children? Are you that fucking daft over there?

the difference is that no matter what it was that was cooked our dog always scarfed it down no questions asked...

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I eat a Bacon Egg McGriddle everyday with a large coffee and I feel great. How is fast food actually different than any other food? If your body can digest it and you occasionally get some exercise why wouldn't a reasonable amount of McDonalds be perfectly fine to intake. I think back to the butter smothered, salt infused food that many people eat at home and think that its healthy when it clearly is not.
See, that's where you are veering off the tracks. Please show where anyone [sane] has claimed salt-infused foods to be healthy (butter, OTOH, is quite healthy).

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I still don't understand how a person can even survive, much less grow, without all the needed vitamins... That's building a car without iron and plastic.

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
Supersize Me was a good study of what an outrageous diet could do to your health.

Supersize me is a load of b*llshit. The only thing it proves is that if you eat till you are uncomfortably full of food that your body is not used to processing constantly for weeks on end that your body will be struggling to cope with it. The documentary had little to no journalistic integrity and they had determined their results before starting the project. They set out to prove fast food was bad for you.

Show me a proper scientific study that indicates you will die from eating fast food any more so than I would die if I ate nothing but apples.

In-taking too many calories and fats is not healthy if you are eating too much. Diet is all about balance, variety and setting limits to how much you consume in a day in relation to how many calories you burn.

Check this guy out:
http://mcrunner.com/?page_id=29

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Why don't you explain to us why evolutionary biologists are "apples" - who you think know much more than ATPN posters, but climatologists are "oranges- who you think you know more than? Tell us, in principle, what the difference is between your two widely-divergent statements?

That is easy. Climate and evolution are not the same thing. The only relation they have is that climate changes can cause a certain evolutionary change to be more successful than it would have been without the change.

I thought that was obvious.

You are making waggy rethink his post about you.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Supersize me is a load of b*llshit. The only thing it proves is that if you eat till you are uncomfortably full of food that your body is not used to processing constantly for weeks on end that your body will be struggling to cope with it. The documentary had little to no journalistic integrity and they had determined their results before starting the project. They set out to prove fast food was bad for you.

Show me a proper scientific study that indicates you will die from eating fast food any more so than I would die if I ate nothing but apples.

In-taking too many calories and fats is not healthy if you are eating too much. Diet is all about balance, variety and setting limits to how much you consume in a day in relation to how many calories you burn.

Check this guy out:
http://mcrunner.com/?page_id=29

I bolded the part I completely agree with. Is fast food good for you? No, that is certainly easily shown. Will eating it, even routinely, harm you if you otherwise have a healthy diet and also exercise? Certainly not.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
That is easy. Climate and evolution are not the same thing. The only relation they have is that climate changes can cause a certain evolutionary change to be more successful than it would have been without the change.

I thought that was obvious.

You are making waggy rethink his post about you.

You're even more transcendently stupid than I thought. You haven't even got a clue. Logic - analogies - principles, they're all lost on you. I'll bet when Robert Frost wrote that he had miles to go before he slept, you thought he meant he was anxious to get home and into a cozy bed.

But I'm not even going to try to explain any of this to you. As they say, you can't fix stupid.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
‘I loved them so much they were all I would eat,’ she said. ‘I just couldn’t face even trying other foods. Mum gave up giving me anything else years ago.’

Seriously? This is easy.

1. Make normal dinners for one straight week.

2. Tell kid that he/she is welcome to not eat any of it. After a few hours, they'll eat.

3. Repeat until nugget addiction is broken or controlled.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
But I'm not even going to try to explain any of this to you. As they say, you can't fix stupid.

Which is why you are going to ensure you remain broken, right? I think you can be fixed, but you have a long way to go. It is a long road to travel for someone who thinks climate change and evolutoin are the same thing...but with enough perseverence, you will make it.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005

And they did.

You just do not want to stop eating junk food because you think you are somehow immune.

Whatever.

Again, idiotic assumption. You are restricting the "healthy" side to one food product. SUPPOSEDLY, fast food is a meal, not just a snack food. There ARE people out there that eat McGriddles for Breakfast, Whoppers for lunch and Taco's Grande for dinner and they are having health problems.

The purpose of that film was, by gross exaggeration, to show how fast something like this can ruin your health. Nobody has the patience to wait 6 months for him to double his cholesterol if he only had super-sized lunch food.

That is part of the message. Not just that fast food is bad, but the fact that many market the "super size" rather heavily. You are getting myopic when you reduce your scope to a contention that Fast Food is somehow akin to eating apples.

No. I won't. The nature of the human body is that some people are either built differently, lucky, or both. 99% of the people out there do not live on McDonalds alone (or in significant quantities) and are healthy because of it.

My Great aunt lived to 94 as a smoker. Does that make smoking healthy?

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Seriously? This is easy.

1. Make normal dinners for one straight week.

2. Tell kid that he/she is welcome to not eat any of it. After a few hours, they'll eat.

3. Repeat until nugget addiction is broken or controlled.

Seriously? It is only easy in plan, not in implementation. THAT takes some backbone.

Simple, maybe, not easy.

It is just an example of poor (lazy) parenting.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
How many foods out there would you only be able to eat it and only it and not be unhealthy?

NPR did a story about this and according to what I heard on the radio the only food you can completely subsist on is breast milk*

*assuming the provider is eating properly (they provided some examples but I do not remember them)

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
NPR did a story about this and according to what I heard on the radio the only food you can completely subsist on is breast milk*

*assuming the provider is eating properly (they provided some examples but I do not remember them)

Well that's next to useless, because they'd need enough food for 2 people to feed themselves and 1 other!