Stacey Irvine, 17, collapses after eating only McDonald's chicken nuggets since age 2

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'd rather a lot of people die than waste resources or be pieces of trash. Raising people who refuse to eat certain types of foods is raising trash people. I eat WHATEVER I WANT. I have ever since I was old enough to have a job, my parents bought the food they wanted and the food they wanted to feed my siblings and I for the most part. It was their money, their effort, etc. Why should I be such a piece of shit as to discomfort them? You're garbage you know that? You cannot even think about this from both perspectives. You cannot view the situation through the eyes of a child nor of a responsible adult. You only see the world in one shade, moron.

Oooookay.

Annnd back in the real world...

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Oh...I didn't see it. Still don't. Sorry, I never assume sarcasm in P&N.

Scroll up and see bfdd's post that I used the sarcasm detector pic in response to and his further replies.

Although its pretty obvious he is, in fact, trolling. :\

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I'm sorry wolf, but I'm calling straight utter fucking bullshit on your fucking first paragraph. Sorry, but that's against the grain to everything Americans have been taught about health and goes against reality which shows childhood obesity is on the rise. Also Supersize Me is a TERRIBLE fucking documentary. You are so uninformed/misinformed that you really should just bow out.

Fact is Americans have been told for the last 20 or so years that eating fast food turns you into this
Morbid%20Obesity.jpg

We have said the same thing about it causing children to look like this.
physical-effects-of-childhood-obesity.jpg

It just doesn't fucking happen and if you want to watch a better documentary, one that will actually present some educational material watch Fathead, which is a response to the piece of garbage you recommended.

You're entitled to your opinion, bereft of specifics and detail as it is. I can tell you that when my wife quit cooking a few years back to go on a Jenny Craig diet, I ate FF about 5x weekly for a month. Nowhere near what the guy in Supersize had. I gained 8 lbs in one month. Yeah sure, eating lots of FF doesn't make you fat. Believe whatever you want.

Oh, and you need to take a chill pill, or toke up. We're talking about a movie here.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
ps, to the people saying she looks good for eating only chicken nuggets. i disagree. her skin looks terrible.

edit- wolf and if you watch BigHead you'll see a guy who eats nothing but FF but loses weight and gets healthier ZOMG! I lost 60 pounds last year and I increased my fat intake and I never cut fast food from my diet, ZOMG!

Jun 26, 2007
That there are laws protecting people who beat their child. I'm sure you will respond to this with some state law that actually has nothing to do with child abuse, but whatever, that's your thing. Either way, my statement stands - letting a child grow up ignorant and unhealthy because you're "letting them grow into the person they will become" is plenty abusive.

Oh are you saying that in the US the law does NOT protect abusive parents who spank their children?

Isn't it incredible how the entire western Europe manage to grow children that are intelligent and independent without beating them?

Do you even know WHY it's allowed in the US, like most other US laws it's based on religious law.

Letting a child grow up into the person they will become usually means that you'll do everything to help them and nothing to hurt them, unless it's the US where sometimes it means to dim their minds and beat the devil out of them and that is not only legal but encouraged in some societies.

Meantime, my daughter is doing ok, she's 21 years old and a mother studying to get her masters, her husband is 22 and getting his Bs.Sc this summer.

Nova is doing awesome, she stared walking at 8 months and can say 70 words at one year and seven days of age.

If it seems like i'm bragging it's because i am, i'm damn proud of them.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
There is nothing wrong with spanking children. There is a problem with beating children. If you cannot see the difference you're pathetic.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Oh are you saying that in the US the law does NOT protect abusive parents who spank their children?

Isn't it incredible how the entire western Europe manage to grow children that are intelligent and independent without beating them?

Do you even know WHY it's allowed in the US, like most other US laws it's based on religious law.

Letting a child grow up into the person they will become usually means that you'll do everything to help them and nothing to hurt them, unless it's the US where sometimes it means to dim their minds and beat the devil out of them and that is not only legal but encouraged in some societies.

"Beating the devil out of someone" is, in fact, illegal, I hate to break it to you. I invite you to find a law that states otherwise, if anything to keep you busy while you go off to frantically search the internet, only to return with something that in no way relates to "beating the devil out of someone", hence why I initially said you were exaggerating, which you continue to do.

You also completely ignored the bulk of my statement, which was that willfully raising an ignorant and unhealthy child is just as abusive.

Meantime, my daughter is doing ok, she's 21 years old and a mother studying to get her masters, her husband is 22 and getting his Bs.Sc this summer.

Nova is doing awesome, she stared walking at 8 months and can say 70 words at one year and seven days of age.

If it seems like i'm bragging it's because i am, i'm damn proud of them.

That's swell, but completely irrelevant to this discussion.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I'm intelligent and independent. And I can eat what's served without having to have something special cooked for me, and without having a meltdown...even with a smile on my face while I'm puking internally.

The horror...

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm intelligent and independent. And I can eat what's served without having to have something special cooked for me, and without having a meltdown...even with a smile on my face while I'm puking internally.

The horror...

Well done!

Mind you youre an adult, we are talking kids here.

You can go poopoo on your own now as well?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
You're entitled to your opinion, bereft of specifics and detail as it is. I can tell you that when my wife quit cooking a few years back to go on a Jenny Craig diet, I ate FF about 5x weekly for a month. Nowhere near what the guy in Supersize had. I gained 8 lbs in one month. Yeah sure, eating lots of FF doesn't make you fat. Believe whatever you want.

Oh, and you need to take a chill pill, or toke up. We're talking about a movie here.

The fact that it was fast food is not why you gained weight - you likely increased your caloric intake while doing so, which, no offense, is not McDonald's fault but yours for eating too much of it. It being fast food may have contributed to your weight gain, but not fat gain - raising your sodium intake will cause you to retain more water, which will give you an initial boost in weight.

I frequently go through bulk/cut cycles for powerlifting, and there's always an initial "diet shock" of gain/loss. Its almost all water weight, from the change in sodium intake.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Well done!

Mind you youre an adult, we are talking kids here.

You can go poopoo on your own now as well?

And I can do all that because when I was young, I learned to eat things I didn't like.

I poopoo on my own, but only when a certain someones gf in another thread in P&N isn't giving me a rimjob...

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
What's the point in forcing kids to eat something they do not like if there are alternatives? If there are certain types of food they just don't like, why not change it for something else?
Forcing kids to eat things they really don't want to eat can't be healthy. Destroying the joy in cooking and eating seems more likely to result in young adults having a less varied and balanced diet.

Not saying that you have to take your kids to McDonalds or deep-fry everything. Food is exciting and that's what kids should learn in order to eat healthy. That and learning how to prepare and cook a balanced meal.

A kid's palate is not very developed. While an adult might think it's unreasonable to dislike the taste of salmon or cod, a kid might. Sometimes it's the smell, sometimes texture, sometimes it's the temperature and sometimes it's the taste. Experimenting with how it's cooked and prepared can change that.

Last edited:

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
ps, to the people saying she looks good for eating only chicken nuggets. i disagree. her skin looks terrible.

edit- wolf and if you watch BigHead you'll see a guy who eats nothing but FF but loses weight and gets healthier ZOMG! I lost 60 pounds last year and I increased my fat intake and I never cut fast food from my diet, ZOMG!

Who says I haven't seen Fathead? The guy in Fathead restricted his caloric intake, unlike the guy in SM. I actually agree with Fathead on the point about high fat in a diet. The best interpretation of current research is that fat isn't a problem, per se. However, *being fat* IS a problem in many ways. It cause diabetes (among other problems) which in turn causes heart disease.

The trouble with fatty (and sugary) foods is that they contain a lot of calories per volume of food you consume. Hence, if you're going to eat FF all the time and not restrict yourself to a calorie cap, you're going to get fat unless you happen to have an unusual metabolism. In my case, my diet remained exactly the same as before, except I substituted 5 FF dinners per week for the 5 dinners my wife used to cook. And I gained 8 pounds in a month. Again, the problem wasn't the fat per se. It was the calories. My wife's meals were about 500 calories on average, whereas the FF were around 1300 on average.

- wolf

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Letting a child grow up into the person they will become usually means that you'll do everything to help them and nothing to hurt them,

smartest thing you said ..

but the fact you seem ignorant of is that it is also the parents job to make them do things that they don't want to do that is good for them. Such as getting there shots, going to school, etc.

NOT having them eat a healthy meal is hurting them. NOT exposing them to every kind of food is hurting them (btw you do know that kids will hate one thing then sometimes love it a week latter. wich is why they should try everything over and over).

the ultimate goal of a parent is having a healthy child. both in body and mind. So i do things they don't like (and i don't either) for them to be heatlhy not as punishment. part of that is being a better person, better parent and better off then there parents.

making them eat veggies? keeping junk food away? keeping fit with exercise? yeah things they need. My son would prefer to stay in and play video games or his lego's and eat junk food. so am i being a bad parent like you claim by not allowing that? fuck no only a idiot thinks that.

IF i knew they would be healthy with such a lifestyle i would allow it. fact is they won't.

the mother in the article? a fucking failure.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
And I can do all that because when I was young, I learned to eat things I didn't like.

I poopoo on my own, but only when a certain someones gf in another thread in P&N isn't giving me a rimjob...

And learning to like things is best done through encouragement and support rather than rubbing their face in it.

Also whose gf are we passing round? :eek:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
People in poor health tend not to be fat.

I am having to explain this to someone who has passed middle school? COME ON!
I guess you've never visited the United States. If severely unhealthy of course you're correct, but presumably she's able to otherwise lead life somewhat normally. I don't find it surprising she isn't fat, though. Lots of people eat bad diets and are not fat, particularly if they are not yet adults.

I find it miraculous, if indeed it is true, that 100% of her consumption of vitamins, macronutrients, etc. come only from nuggets and fries and she's made it this far. It's a testament to the human body to be honest.

Whether chucky is delivering his message properly or not is beside the point, the point being most parents DO force their kids to eat something at some point if not many points in their lives and that's absolutely essential. Otherwise, little jimmy fat face is going to ask for doritos and hot dogs each meal and we can't have that, can we? So jimmy fat face gets chicken and broccoli instead and if he doesn't eat it tonight he can go to bed hungry. I don't think he'll be starving overnight. Amazing how the "If you don't eat that, you don't get anything" has worked since the dawn of time. Sh*t gets tastier as you get hungrier.

Last edited:

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
In my case, my diet remained exactly the same as before, except I substituted 5 FF dinners per week for the 5 dinners my wife used to cook. And I gained 8 pounds in a month. Again, the problem wasn't the fat per se. It was the calories. My wife's meals were about 500 calories on average, whereas the FF were around 1300 on average.

You suffered from the same problem as the guy in SuperSize Me - you ate too much. There are lots and lots of ways to eat fast food and not take in 1300 calories. You can eat two McDoubles and be plenty full, for 780 calories. Or get a grilled chicken sandwich and fries for about 700-800 (less if you hold the mayo).

As I said above - its not McDonald's fault when someone eats too much, its their own.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
What about starving them to death? :sneaky: :p

First off I said I would rather let my children starve to death than dictate to me what they eat. There is a big thing here you are missing and I forgive you since you're Welsh, meaning from the isles, so your grasp of modern English is lacking, but starving someone and allowing someone to starve are vastly different things. If a child is going to starve themselves to death because they won't eat the food I present to them, then that child can starve. No where did I state that I or anyone else should actively not feed children. But we'll keep it rolling anyways because I find it rather funny.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
And learning to like things is best done through encouragement and support rather than rubbing their face in it.

Also whose gf are we passing round? :eek:

I never said it wasn't. I never said don't encourage the kid to eat. I never said don't ask nicely the kid to eat his veggies. I never said to more sternly direct the kid to eat their veggies. I never said to give a warning to the kid, that they will eat their veggies. Or a final warning that they're going to be eating those veggies, or wearing them.

It's when you've done all that, and the kid thinks they're going to pull a power trip on you and get you to bend to their will. Guess what? They ain't. They're going to wearing those veggies, scraping them off their face, and then eating them. And, if they still don't want to eat them, and continue to trip, no problem! Guess what's for breakfast!?!? That's right, previously worn on face veggies!!! Yay!!!

At no F'ing time should a kid ever think they're running things. Ever. That doesn't mean you don't cook things they'll like, or do things they like, or give them passes if they're having just a particularly hard night. I've kid sat plenty of my cousins. Guess what? The parents that kowtowed to their kids, their kids ate what the F I put on the table that night for dinner. Given they weren't mine, 'eat it or wear it' wasn't an option. So the kid just sat there for 3 hours until their plate was clean. Magically, after they realized they weren't winning this, like they always did with their parents, they were somehow able to eat their dinner and live. Amazing. Even more "amazing", was their parents were shocked they ate what I served.

They were so scarred from this treatment, they're all in good colleges now making good grades. Again, The Horror....

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
making them eat veggies? keeping junk food away? keeping fit with exercise? yeah things they need. My son would prefer to stay in and play video games or his lego's and eat junk food. so am i being a bad parent like you claim by not allowing that? fuck no only a idiot thinks that.

Perhaps a good parent would encourage a more healthy lifestyle using other methods than forcing them to do it?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
First off I said I would rather let my children starve to death than dictate to me what they eat. There is a big thing here you are missing and I forgive you since you're Welsh, meaning from the isles, so your grasp of modern English is lacking, but starving someone and allowing someone to starve are vastly different things. If a child is going to starve themselves to death because they won't eat the food I present to them, then that child can starve. No where did I state that I or anyone else should actively not feed children. But we'll keep it rolling anyways because I find it rather funny.

Dude if your child starves to death you gonna go to jail.

Also Wales isn't an island

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
You suffered from the same problem as the guy in SuperSize Me - you ate too much. There are lots and lots of ways to eat fast food and not take in 1300 calories. You can eat two McDoubles and water and be plenty full, for 780 calories. Or get a grilled chicken sandwich and fries for about 700-800 (less if you hold the mayo).

As I said above - its not McDonald's fault when someone eats too much, its their own.

I didn't eat "too much" in terms of volume. I may have chosen the wrong entrees because those were the ones I preferred. In terms of volume, I ate about the same as I did when my wife cooked. But she cooks skinless chicken breasts and other things that are low in calories/volume. You're right that FF isn't the problem per se and if you watch your calories you can eat it with some frequency and not get fat. However, unfortunately FF is generally higher in calories than what people cook at home.

Everyone is responsible for what they eat BTW. I have never contended otherwise.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
What's the point in forcing kids to eat something they do not like if there are alternatives? If there are certain types of food they just don't like, why not change it for something else?
Forcing kids to eat things they really don't want to eat can't be healthy. Destroying the joy in cooking and eating seems more likely to result in young adults having a less varied and balanced diet.

t's unreasonable to dislike the taste of salmon or cod, a kid might. Sometimes it's the smell, sometimes texture, sometimes it's the temperature and sometimes it's the taste. Experimenting with how it's cooked and prepared can change that.

you are missing what i am saying.

why should you make a separate meal for them? food is expensive and a bitch to make 2 meals.

though 90% of the time they like it if they try it. my son will darn near eat anything placed in front of him. my daughter is the other way. she is the picky one. She loves veggies though so its never a struggle to get her to eat them.

they need to try EVERYTHING. because as you say their palet is not done. one day they may hate broccoli but the next week it may click and they will love it (wich btw happened to my son heh).

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Perhaps a good parent would encourage a more healthy lifestyle using other methods than forcing them to do it?

encouragement only goes so far. sometimes you have to put your foot down on things and not budge.

thankfully my kids eat nearly anything. They will also try anything put in front of them at least once and always eat at least a portion of the meal.

my kids are good kids. both get great grades, both are in sports, both are healthy (now heh). they are polite and kind.

I don't beat my kids. I make sure they have food on the table, snacks for them to eat (they love fruit), clothes for them to wear, more toys then they need and a roof over there heads.