some lady just attacked my dog

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: toant103
Originally posted by: Atomicus
Was the lady too feeble to pick up the child ?

I know she had the right to defend her child, but seriously, what kind of panic can a small dog that's not even growling or barking induce in a grown adult? And enough to cause her to pick up an object and smack the dog! I'm guessing if a King Cobra was to slither next to her child, she'd probably go get a stick to smack it with instead of picking up the child and running.

No offense, but was she caucasian?

she's Middle Eastern.

Well I can say that people have a very different view of dogs in the middle east.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003

I know she had the right to defend her child, but seriously, what kind of panic can a small dog that's not even growling or barking induce in a grown adult? And enough to cause her to pick up an object and smack the dog! I'm guessing if a King Cobra was to slither next to her child, she'd probably go get a stick to smack it with instead of picking up the child and running.

she's Middle Eastern.
Jeez, no offense but that could explain it. She's likely all uptight from the instances of racial backlash against Muslims and Middle Easterners.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Dude, if you can't keep your rabid child eating beast on its leash, you should be taking your dog out of its cage.

wtf? I hate people with irrational fear of dogs, especially when they are lap dogs - jeez!

small poodles look cute and cuddly too, but many are vicious dogs.

You can't judge an animal by the way it looks. Its best to err on the side of caution than to be bitten.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: gopunk
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Blieb
Uh, riiight...:roll:

Say what you will. My dog is the one thing I'd go apesh!t over. Other than him getting hurt, I have complete self control. But I'm dead serious, if someone ever kicked my dog and harmed him, they'd be bleeding to death lying in the middle of the road.

So, you would attack someone for defending themselves?

You're an idiot.

defending themselves against what? a pomeranian? i might as well kick every toddler that gets close to me, you never know, one of them might bite me.

I'll be laughing at the headlines: "Psycho dog owner beats man near death". That will do wonders for your career and life in general.

Oh wait, I forgot, this is more gutless spouting on an internet forum.

huh? learn to read, gopunk != blieb

and fwiw, i'd rather have people gutlessly spouting on the internet than people gutlessly beating up on helpless animals.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: yukichigai

she's Middle Eastern.
Jeez, no offense but that could explain it. She's likely all uptight from the instances of racial backlash against Muslims and Middle Easterners.

She felt it was a trained Pomeranian attack dog!! :Q

NickelTitanium

Oct 14, 1999
I am a dog lover myself. But I truly believe that the lady had every right.

My dog is the nicest, friendliest dog ever. However, I don't trust any dog (including mine) not to bite.

For all you know, the 5 year old may want to pull on the pomerian's tail. If Bruno attacks, then who's fault would it be.

The question should be if you have a baby and a strange dog comes charging towards the baby.... What's would you do?

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Blieb
Originally posted by: waggy

boy you are a idiot.

if a dog comes at my daughter and growls or anything else i feel is threatening i will kick/hit/shoot if i feel i need to. I do not care if it is a 8lb terrier or a 200lb rotty.

Then if you tried to "smash my face in" not only would you be in jail i would sue the crap out of you.

I agree the lady over reacted but again the dog should be on a leash at all times.

I'm not saying you'd be out of line. I'm saying any mfer who says "punt" or malicious backlash ... overreaction ... like when someone punches someone and they turn around and shoot the person who punched. Excessive force.

pft i would kick the dog as far away as i could. granted a 8lb dog aint going to fly far but i bet you it will NOT come back again. If nothing else it would give me time to take my daughter inside.

anyway i have a gaurd dog to protect us!

"granted a 8lb dog aint going to fly far"

LMAO!!!!!!

weiner dogs are awesome btw :)

Wait..you are making fun of him for having a Pom. yet you think weiner dogs are awesome?

Don't talk about dogs anymore, please. :p

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003

she's Middle Eastern.

Yes, she must have thought that OP was the prison guard coming with the unmuzzled dogs and broomsticks to shove up her hoohaw :roll:

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: slag
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Dude, if you can't keep your rabid child eating beast on its leash, you should be taking your dog out of its cage.

wtf? I hate people with irrational fear of dogs, especially when they are lap dogs - jeez!

small poodles look cute and cuddly too, but many are vicious dogs.

You can't judge an animal by the way it looks. Its best to err on the side of caution than to be bitten.

i dunno about poodles, but i have a pomeranian and i seriously doubt it would ever bite anyone unless it was being abused. well it's old now, but even when it was younger. i really wonder how many dog bite cases were just the dog biting completely unprovoked.

imported_Pablo

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Citrix
well if she thought her kids were in danger of being bit by an unleashed dog, she has every right to defend herself and her kids.

ITS A POMERIANIAN!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

TranceNation

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2001
80 % of the times when I read stories about dogs attacking and killing kids/babies, the dog owner always says something like 'i don't understand, my dog never bites or attacks anybody.... blah blah blah".

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: DWW

Yes, she must have thought that OP was the prison guard coming with the unmuzzled dogs and broomsticks to shove up her hoohaw :roll:
Umm... not the idea I was going for exactly. More like she's so stressed out and paranoid over other things it's carried over into her daily life.

Not that it makes it okay. Just guessing as to why.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: DougK62
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
There's a lot of people saying that not man should own the OP's dog because it's so small. Yet, there are a lot of male posters claiming that they would kick the dog if they felt threatened by it. Interesting.

That's because a lot of the guy's are just pretending to be real men when they're actually just boys.

A real man will buy whatever dog he wants and not care what others think.

Agreed. What kind of man needs a dog to justify his manhood? :confused:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
You should have curbed her ass :D

That dog is harmless...anyone that thinks you need to "defend" a child from it while the owner is nearby is sorely mistaken.

Small dogs are NOT harmless. They can do quite a bit of damage especially to a small child. I've heard of small dogs actually severing the ligament in the ankle from one bite.

Maybe the OP's dog is harmless but there really isn't any way for someone to know this. Can't blame someone for defending their child that's for sure.

I also never said anything about the OP's choice in dogs. :D

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I have a 5 year old cousin. Maybe he's a freaking genetic anomaly but that dog would not be able to hurt him. :p

Now, if we're talking about a 1 or 2 year old who can barely walk then yah I understand.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
I'd just like to point out that I've never heard about this kind of stuff happening with cats. :p

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
You should have curbed her ass :D

That dog is harmless...anyone that thinks you need to "defend" a child from it while the owner is nearby is sorely mistaken.

Small dogs are NOT harmless. They can do quite a bit of damage especially to a small child. I've heard of small dogs actually severing the ligament in the ankle from one bite.

Maybe the OP's dog is harmless but there really isn't any way for someone to know this. Can't blame someone for defending their child that's for sure.

I also never said anything about the OP's choice in dogs. :D

IIRC his dog is relatively new, still a pup. It is likely it weighs what, 2 pounds? I'd like to see a 2 pound dog do more than eat, crap and bark.

According to the OP the little thing just ran around them in a couple circles while the owner was trying to catch it. It doesn't sound like aggressive, child-eating behaviour to me. No teeth-bearing, growling, barking or jumping on the kid.

If it didn't attack, then how can someone reasonably say she needs to defend? To defend there needs to be a threat. If it didn't even come into contact with the child nor display any behaviour that could be interpreted as a threat, why "defend" ?

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I wan't going to respond to this thread but...

First off, you're dog is really cute, and looks completely harmless. HOWEVER, you gotta keep it on a leash dude. Think of it more now as protecting your dog from humans, not the other way around. Some people are just complete psychos, and will over react to ANY dog in general. The lady probably can't make a distinction between your dog and a pitbull, so she'll treat them the same way. Yes she is retarded, but she's right in the eyes of the law. Just be more careful the next time you go out and make sure your dog doesn't get away from you.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

Umm... not the idea I was going for exactly. More like she's so stressed out and paranoid over other things it's carried over into her daily life.

well some middle easterners don't like dogs. think of em as unclean.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

Exactly. In a lot of mid-eastern countries, people don't generally keep dogs as pets, they are considered pests, and they are considered dangerous wild animals.

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Jzero
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

Exactly. In a lot of mid-eastern countries, people don't generally keep dogs as pets, they are considered pests, and they are considered dangerous wild animals.

Shouldn't they leave that at home?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
If she is Middle Eastern, that EXPLAINS EVERYTHING.

I know a lot of my mom's middle eastern friends are very afraid of dogs. They would be uncomfortable even if you brought one around them on a leash. She had every right to hit your mutt if it wasn't leashed and was bothering her and her children.