Skylake coolers can damage the CPU's

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
That's odd. The Silver Arrow usually loses (narrowly) to the nh-d14. No way it beats a d15.

When I bought mine, the tests showed that under low temps, the dh-d14 would win, but at high temps, the Silver Arrow wins. The results definitely varied from test to test. There definitely isn't a lot of difference between them either way.

doyll49

Jan 28, 2014
What I've see and found is original Silver Arrow was slightly better than NH-D14 But yeah, both are a couple of degrees warmer than D15 and PH-TC14PE .. and R1 Ultimate.

IMHO the 200-300rpm faster speed / additional airflow the NF-A15 1500 fans have is the reason for the couple degrees difference.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
All CPU coolers worked fine on Haswell CPUs. On Skylake some don't, despite that the CPU coolers have not been changed. Obviously the Skylake substrate is more susceptible to bending problems than Haswell, since the CPU is the only thing that has changed.

Last edited:

doyll49

Jan 28, 2014
The Skylake PCB is changed. It is thinner than other 115x PCBs' This make is easier to flex and /or break. This does not mean it is not strong enough to be stronger than specifications require, just not as over strength as older 115x PCBs'.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The Skylake PCB is changed. It is thinner than other 115x PCBs' This make is easier to flex and /or break. This does not mean it is not strong enough to be stronger than specifications require, just not as over strength as older 115x PCBs'.

It's thinner, but not easier to flex, imo.

Thinness doesn't necessarily equate to strength or flexibility.

If it were easier to flex, this deformation would be common, instead of so rare as to be hard to document.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011

If it were easier to flex, this deformation would be common, instead of so rare as to be hard to document.
Intel's reply is that it conforms to the same spec which is not the same as saying the thinner pcb is just as rigid as the old pcb. The old pcb could have a generous margin over the 50lb spec, say 75lb while the new pcb could be barely conforming say 50.1lb.

Since the problem doesn't seem to be reproducible, its probably something wrong with that particular reviewer's mb socket, or heatsink or something. But that doesn't mean the thinner pcb is just as strong as the older thicker one.

doyll49

Jan 28, 2014

True

Intel's reply is that it conforms to the same spec which is not the same as saying the thinner pcb is just as rigid as the old pcb. The old pcb could have a generous margin over the 50lb spec, say 75lb while the new pcb could be barely conforming say 50.1lb.

Since the problem doesn't seem to be reproducible, its probably something wrong with that particular reviewer's mb socket, or heatsink or something. But that doesn't mean the thinner pcb is just as strong as the older thicker one.
Exactly.
What reviewer are you referring to? My understanding is the only instances were the result of shipping with cooler mounted and due to impact load.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

We can tell that the pcb is actually equivalent, as Intel said, because we aren't seeing any problems with it, despite the number of 2.5-3 pound coolers out there.

doyll49

Jan 28, 2014
Saying there are no problems is a bold faced lie.

There have been a few problems. I know this not only from what we have seen publicity as well as from other sources.

But saying it is big problem or that the 1151 is not built to spec same as other Intel CPUs is also a bold faced lie.

And while we are on it, your sig says a lot about your credibility.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Exactly.
What reviewer are you referring to? My understanding is the only instances were the result of shipping with cooler mounted and due to impact load.

That German reviewer who posted the bendy pics from the OP's link.

doyll49

Jan 28, 2014
That German reviewer who posted the bendy pics from the OP's link.
pcgameshardware.de, did report they damaged a Skylake.
... we have combined a no longer released for Skylake cooler holder, a heavy heatsink and extreme acceleration scenarios, ...
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Skyla...ls/Skylake-Gefaehrdung-durch-Kuehler-1180505/
is the Google translation. I'm assuming the "extreme acceleration scenerios" are sudden changes in speed like the difference between a falling object and when it hits the floor.

They go on to say:
we put the test system in operation step by step ever higher loads from the radiator. On heavy blows on the table, which have led, according to an OEM manufacturer to a Skylake failure, cases result from a few centimeters in height, as can happen involuntarily in Handicrafts and cleanup. At the end of the test series, the PC is put into a shipping container several falls from typical carrying height and finally thrown out of two meters to the ground to simulate extreme shipping charges.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Skyla...ls/Skylake-Gefaehrdung-durch-Kuehler-1180505/
Google transation

They go on to say:
We subject the components of the computer while an external examination and found significant effects of the test load: The housing is severely deformed, the envelope of the power supply so severely dented that no safe operation is no longer possible. Even the heatpipes of the heatsink have a bit bent.
6th paragraph
Again, this is Google translation.

But I hardly consider any system that has a bent case, a bent PSU and bent heatpipes on the cooler .. and the CPU doesn't work can be honestly interpreted as a CPU failure because of it's construction.

Frankly I would be surprised if a system would ever work without lots of replacement parts after that kind of treatment. :D

doyll49

Jan 28, 2014
What they found in the shipping box after their "test" shipping. :D
vlcsnap-2015-12-09-16h03m54s899-pcgh.png

Skylake on bottom is from same system after"test" shipment
Curved_CPU_bottom-pcgh.JPG

PCB on left is Skylake compared to older ll5x PCB or right
Skylake_Broadwell-pcgh.JPG

So, yeah, you can definitely do a lot of damage. But it is equally definite that to do that kind of damage requires extreme effort. ;)

As far as I know 14 cooler companies have made statementssaying 1151 is completely comparable .. all after Scythe (the only one to have problems) reported the problem.

Sorry bononos, but it appears you engaged mouth (fingers) without first engaging brain.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
As expected it was a sensationalism article. Now they come clean in the followup.

That PSU and case is just trashed, but I am sure someone will make it sound like that's Skylakes fault too :D

doyll49

Jan 28, 2014
As expected it was a sensationalism article. Now they come clean in the followup.

That PSU and case is just trashed, but I am sure someone will make it sound like that's Skylakes fault too :D
Indeed. :D
I don't know if this was what started the whole thing, or a followup satire of it. But if it was what started the whole thing and Scythe based their notice on these sensationalizing idiot's or not, but if they did start the whole thing they should be jump on them with both feet .. by everyone in the industry.

Last edited:

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013

Isn't this from a separate test?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Saying there are no problems is a bold faced lie.

There have been a few problems. I know this not only from what we have seen publicity as well as from other sources.

But saying it is big problem or that the 1151 is not built to spec same as other Intel CPUs is also a bold faced lie.

And while we are on it, your sig says a lot about your credibility.

Lighten up, Francis!

My sig is a nice joke from way back in the rough and tumble P4 vs AMD days...

forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=1504548

If we can only find a couple of documented examples, and those examples have conditions beyond normal, then there are no problems with Skylake and LGA1151 as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

doyll49

Jan 28, 2014
Lighten up, Francis!

My sig is a nice joke from way back in the rough and tumble P4 vs AMD days...

forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=1504548

If we can only find a couple of documented examples, and those examples have conditions beyond normal, then there are no problems with Skylake and LGA1151 as far as I am concerned.
Francis isn't here. :D
He stepped out front with his 1151 system to test the mounting "issue.":whiste:

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
All CPU coolers worked fine on Haswell CPUs. On Skylake some don't, despite that the CPU coolers have not been changed. Obviously the Skylake substrate is more susceptible to bending problems than Haswell, since the CPU is the only thing that has changed.

Obviously not.

This is what happens when you post something without knowing the facts.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Indeed. :D
I don't know if this was what started the whole thing, or a followup satire of it. But if it was what started the whole thing and Scythe based their notice on these sensationalizing idiot's or not, but if they did start the whole thing they should be jump on them with both feet .. by everyone in the industry.
Actually, in my review of the Ninja 4 (nice heatsink, BTW) I criticized their mount -- before the German article came out. So it's something they were already thinking about.

I'm glad they're replacing those screws. Other than the unregulated screws, it's a nice mount.

doyll49

Jan 28, 2014
Actually, in my review of the Ninja 4 (nice heatsink, BTW) I criticized their mount -- before the German article came out. So it's something they were already thinking about.

I'm glad they're replacing those screws. Other than the unregulated screws, it's a nice mount.
You said you didn't like them. That's not even close to saying the mount was damaging the CPU or socket.

Maybe it is possible to do, but I will still put my money on sudden impact being the cause of the damage .. That or someone setting on top of the cooler. :D

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Obviously not.

This is what happens when you post something without knowing the facts.
Why don't you post some facts to back up your claims for once, instead of just posting your claims?

Last edited:

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Sorry bononos, but it appears you engaged mouth (fingers) without first engaging brain.

Looks like you engaged your fingers without reading carefully yourself. I only posted the German link because you asked for it.

All of my posts did not say the thinner pcb is more susceptible to bending under normal use. Basically what you said in your post #104.