Skylake coolers can damage the CPU's

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dahorns

Sep 13, 2013
Thread title is misleading as it suggests that Intel coolers on non-k models cause the problem. Ultimately, this has very little to do with Intel except that Intel should obviously be working with and informing its hardware partners that the new socket is more fragile than previous ones.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Interesting that Arctic Cooling have just put out a press release saying that all of their coolers are unaffected by these concerns. As someone with one of their coolers on a Skylake I can only hope there's truth in that, although at this stage there's still so little information to go on. Feels rather weasel-wordy with the 'compliance with intel mechanical specifications' statement. Inevitable question is if somehow my cpu did get damaged from the cooler would I be able to chase AC now that they've put that out there?

I was thinking there might be some excuse made about 'you bought 3rd party cooler you took the risk shame the cpu broke not Intel/cooler manufacturers fault' and I totally forgot the Ks don't come with a cooler. If cpus are getting damaged I can see there being a whole lot of wrangling over how compliant those 3rd party solutions are or have claimed to be.

Still hoping this turns out to be not as bad as it looks. As was said, it might be you need the combination of very heavy cooler, severely overtightened screws and hard mechanical shock to cause it so the average user will never find the problem.

Heat could be a factor, too. If you get that CPU pcb too hot, it will deform more easily.

dahorns

Sep 13, 2013
Interesting that Arctic Cooling have just put out a press release saying that all of their coolers are unaffected by these concerns. As someone with one of their coolers on a Skylake I can only hope there's truth in that, although at this stage there's still so little information to go on. Feels rather weasel-wordy with the 'compliance with intel mechanical specifications' statement. Inevitable question is if somehow my cpu did get damaged from the cooler would I be able to chase AC now that they've put that out there?

If you use the product as intended, install it correctly, and it still causes damage, the product manufacturer would generally be liable for the damage. That being said, it would be a hard right to enforce. Damages would be too small to bring an individual lawsuit and the nature of the problem would most likely preclude a class action.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Fix the title.

"Using coolers not designed for your CPU could possibly damage your CPU."

No **** Sherlock.

Mar 10, 2006
You guys seen this?

http://www.modders-inc.com/psa-cooler-mounts-can-damage-skylake-cpus/

I thought Intel were cheapskates with the whole thermal paste vs solder thing and now this... Pretty poor tbh. Unless theres some technical reason im totally missing :\

Probably cost reasons, not technical reason.

Anyway, my cooler is designed to work with Skylake and I didn't kill the thing when I installed it, and I am far from being the most mechanically inclined person on the planet.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Fix the title.

No **** Sherlock.

Intel didn't make a stock cooler for Skylake-K. Are you suggesting that people should run these CPUs without a cooler?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Intel didn't make a stock cooler for Skylake-K. Are you suggesting that people should run these CPUs without a cooler?

But there is validated coolers for it. Including Intel made like the TS15A.

But again, is there more examples than this single one. And what cooler was used. If someone dropped the case with a kilo heavy cooler mounted sideways. Then the result is no surprise.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I learned not to overtighten the cooler screws a while back. Computer wouldn't boot until I loosened the screws up a bit. Figured the mobo must have bent slightly.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I learned not to overtighten the cooler screws a while back. Computer wouldn't boot until I loosened the screws up a bit. Figured the mobo must have bent slightly.

My 3770k was like this.

I'm trying to figure out how, as long as their socket specs properly define what the forces can be, Intel has done something "wrong" here?

If they messed up on the socket specs, sure, they made a mistake, but if the specs are accurate, then... I don't get it.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
When I installed my Silver Arrow recently, I was really wondering just how much I should clamp down. I noticed the square base plate was warping, so I backed up some. I know some coolers like the CM 212 line have springs that prevent a problem, but some leave it up to the user to figure out how much pressure is needed, which I'd consider the fault of the HSF manufacturer.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006

How did you get that from what I posted?

"Are you suggesting I don't put gas in my car because diesel will damage it?"

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
This tells me not to use ICD7 as a thermal compound, as it doesn't really work well until the cooler is tightened down hard on the CPU.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
How did you get that from what I posted?

"Are you suggesting I don't put gas in my car because diesel will damage it?"

Because you worded it strangely, so I wasn't sure what you meant by "designed" for it.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
My 3770k was like this.

I'm trying to figure out how, as long as their socket specs properly define what the forces can be, Intel has done something "wrong" here?

If they messed up on the socket specs, sure, they made a mistake, but if the specs are accurate, then... I don't get it.

If there is such a spec, does anyone have a toque screwdriver to measure it?

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Probably completely irrelevant, but I just installed a new 4590 and a ThermalTake tower HSF and had issues with my machine booting up.
( http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2456006 )

Ultimately, I rotated the baseplate (which seemed to not matter) and slightly under-torqued the screws from the HSF into the plate to get it to boot.

It's been fine ever since.

Aug 11, 2008
Fix the title.

No **** Sherlock.

Well, since Intel doesnt include a stock cooler with the k models, they should have taken better precautions to make sure aftermarket coolers fit properly. That said, I dont know if this "problem" is a real issue or just an isolated incident.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Why is it Intel's issue? They provide the specification, they aren't responsible for other manufacturers implementation of the specification.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I could see this being a problem with something that works like the old Thermalright bolt-through kits, though I'm not sure that such a kit has even been released for LGA1151.

I read about this some time ago, along with Scythe's releasing updated mounting hardware to deal with the problem on some of their coolers.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Well, since Intel doesnt include a stock cooler with the k models, they should have taken better precautions to make sure aftermarket coolers fit properly. That said, I dont know if this "problem" is a real issue or just an isolated incident.

Intel should not do a thing regarding aftermarket coolers.

Intel sells coolers that fit and work.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I look forward to the flurry of "Intel can do no wrong" replies from the usual suspects while conveniently downplaying how a $300+ 6700K is designed in mind for use with enthusiast class coolers.

Looks like you were right lol.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Fix the title.

Reminds me of how long it took to fix the title and clearly inform people of a supposed Samsung SSD firmware bug that turned out to be non existent. Actually, was that title ever properly rewritten?

That having been said, this thread's title really needs to be reformulated, right now it's borderline FUD.