Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 911 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
i can see a middle ground , 1000 bradleys , 100k tows, tanks not needed
Kinda agree with you, but I am concerned about loitering munitions and the affect on Bradleys. I feel tanks should have a higher survivability.

Don't know if Bradleys have an active protection system. One was designed for the K2. This war has made certain that all next-gen tanks will get them.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
Maybe the Leopards are not that good... :oops:
The most likely version to be transferred to Ukraine is the Leopard 2A4 standard which were produced between 1985-1992, so that’s pretty old. What’s worse is that not all A4s are created equal, the older ones have worse armour and Poland’s Leopard 2A4s have the older armour.

If you are to believe this tweet and these documents the British tested the Leo 2A4 and found the protection of the old B armour which Polands Leo 2A4s have to be worse than the Challenger 1.

• Wow
Reactions: RnR_au

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Chicken shit apologists or downright Russkie agents.

Don't forget the corrupt ones in the pocket of capitalists. Plenty of business interests would be happy to see a "business as usual" reset, so that pesky things like war crimes and genocide don't get in the way of profits.

EDIT: And I'm obviously not just talking about Germany.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I think at this point they are just looking for excuses not to send them. I think Germany is worried that Ukraine will use the MBT's to start seriously pushing Russia out of Ukraine including Donbas and Crimea and the Russians will go ape-shit nuclear and Berlin would be a target. Germany probably hopes that there can be negotiated settlement and they are willing to sacrifice chunks of Ukraine to keep the Russians happy.

It's as plausible a theory as any. I really don't know _what_ the Germans are thinking, to be honest. I don't understand German politics or their general outlook, at all. I mean they clearly have a very specific history that influences their attitudes in complicated ways.

Another take on the same question

This was startling

In a recent interview, former chancellor Angela Merkel praised the Netflix drama Munich – The Edge of War for suggesting that Neville Chamberlain might be seen in a more positive light.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Seems Poland has a rather strong fear of becoming neighbors with Russia.
Probably because Russia is vowing, and has been seen preparing, to go absolutely all in with every last piece of meat they can throw at Ukraine.
Unless the war is forcefully ended, hundreds of thousands MORE Russians will invade Ukraine this year.

Poland ready to send tanks without Germany’s consent, PM says

Nobody who matters would blame Poland for breaking the re-export agreement at this point. They've bought M1A2 SEPv3s and K2s (some of which will be locally produced through tech transfer). About the worst the Germans could do is block the remaining upgrades of their Leo 2s to 2PL but thats sort of irrelevant if they start transferring the fleet to Ukraine. They are not going to want to operate 3 entirely different MBTs long term anyway.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
We should just start installing APUs on older M1A2s (some already have them IIRC) and start shipping them to Ukraine. Enough with this nonsense.
Absolutely! If Scholtz still holds out at the Rammstein meeting, the US will need to forge ahead, IMHO. Two battalions of M1A2 should push the Germans over the edge. We have plenty. The problem is ramp up time, especially logistics as @IronWing alludes to. The Ukrainians could base one battalion each in Kyiv and Kharkiv to discourage a Russian attacks from the north through Belarus and eastern Russia - though it could be too late for that depending on Intel for the current 'exercises' in Belarus.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Absolutely! If Scholtz still holds out at the Rammstein meeting, the US will need to forge ahead, IMHO. Two battalions of M1A2 should push the Germans over the edge. We have plenty. The problem is ramp up time, especially logistics as @IronWing alludes to. The Ukrainians could base one battalion each in Kyiv and Kharkiv to discourage a Russian attacks from the north through Belarus and eastern Russia - though it could be too late for that depending on Intel for the current 'exercises' in Belarus.

They could use them in combat. They'd just have to be shipped back to Poland for repairs if required. Poland is presently training up for the Abrams they're getting so it'd be good practice.

This isn't a lot different than the more sophisticated howitzer systems like the PzH 2000s which get shipped to Lithuania for repairs. Depots on Ukrainian territory would be a lot more efficient but due to Russian missile threats aren't really an option right now.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Nobody who matters would blame Poland for breaking the re-export agreement at this point. They've bought M1A2 SEPv3s and K2s (some of which will be locally produced through tech transfer). About the worst the Germans could do is block the remaining upgrades of their Leo 2s to 2PL but thats sort of irrelevant if they start transferring the fleet to Ukraine. They are not going to want to operate 3 entirely different MBTs long term anyway.
A bunch of M1s and Bradleys were recently spotted on trains heading to Poland. Eh, can't find the tweet. I'm sure the M1s are for Poland - not sure about the Bradleys.

They could use them in combat. They'd just have to be shipped back to Poland for repairs if required. Poland is presently training up for the Abrams they're getting so it'd be good practice.

Yes, of course. I'm just a bit concerned about Putin's desire to capture Kyiv and the recent activity in Belarus. The UA will, of course, use them where they are most needed and effective.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Maybe send one without a payload? Just to say "we could if we would". Would probably get a rise out of the locals.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
A bunch of M1s and Bradleys were recently spotted on trains heading to Poland. Eh, can't find the tweet. I'm sure the M1s are for Poland - not sure about the Bradleys.

Yes, of course. I'm just a bit concerned about Putin's desire to capture Kyiv and the recent activity in Belarus. The UA will, of course, use them where they are most needed and effective.

Here 'ya go:

Reactions: Ajay

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That feeling when your invasion is definitely going like you planned.

Feb 2022: We will destroy Ukraine, kill Zelensky, and reclaim the empire that is rightfully ours. NATO beware.

Jan 2023: Please helicopter wheeled SAM systems to available tall buildings in Moscow to defend against Ukrainian drones.

• Love
Reactions: Brovane

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Special Operation proceeding according to plan comrades.

Yes, I know we’ve destroyed their air force two or three times over and have S500 batteries around Moscow that have extremely good capabilities we’re completely confident in, but putting short range air defence trucks on buildings is a totally reasonable approach given the previous two absolutely true things.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Can we just like paint up some of the M1A1s the Poles are training on in Ukrainian camouflage/flags and drive them around the countryside near Lviv for a bit in front of lots of news orgs?

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Can we just like paint up some of the M1A1s the Poles are training on in Ukrainian camouflage/flags and drive them around the countryside near Liviv for a bit in front of lots of news orgs?
Let's go one better, attach a big wooden mock structure up to a remote controlled vehicle of some kind and roll it around on the front lines. Either they run or waste ammo!

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

This isn't a lot different than the more sophisticated howitzer systems like the PzH 2000s which get shipped to Lithuania for repairs. Depots on Ukrainian territory would be a lot more efficient but due to Russian missile threats aren't really an option right now.

Man, what do you do that you know all this stuff to this level of detail?

Guessing there is a reason you are in San Diego (iirc)

Respect tho, learned more in this thread than anywhere else.