Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 160 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Not sure we'd even need o go to SA. We aren't that dependent on Russian oil.
This could have been avoided if the Keystone XL pipeline had been built. Canada has the 3rd largest oil reserves in the world.

• Haha
Reactions: JD50

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The more coverage that news outlets show and interview with everyday Ukrainian people the more you are going to get white bread 'Murica on board with this. And not just this specific crisis, but hopefully it shines a different light for our ignorant asses to what a refugee really is.

These aren't terrorists and scum bailing to come here. These are people that were just like us, going to work, raising a family, eating a dinner at family table until some power hungry fuck comes stomping through and starts shelling your city. What makes Ukraine different is they are white, speak pretty good English and have cute kids in coats like we dress ours.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Reactions: Roger Wilco

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Countries that receive oil or natural gas imports from Russia can reject them, if they choose. We just can’t forcibly block the import or export of economically vital goods without creating a situation where the Russians would go to war, say with NATO. We already have the Russian Gov't at the brink - hence Putin's remonstrations involving the use of nuclear weapons.
I don't mean physically block oil exports, I mean include the energy sector in the sanctions which is now exempt. BP and Shell have already moved out of Russia. Make it financially untenable for any remaining oil company. Russia needs them for production so that would be halted.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
So will the world take this lesson to heart with regards to China's intentions towards Tiawan? We rely a lot on Chinese exports. Sanctions against them if they were to attack Tiawan would be a lot more difficult to live with.

Taiwan should get a direct military response… yes the sanctions or total trade shutdown would hurt the west a lot, but they’d be extremely painful to the PRC.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
So will the world take this lesson to heart with regards to China's intentions towards Tiawan? We rely a lot on Chinese exports. Sanctions against them if they were to attack Tiawan would be a lot more difficult to live with.
I've had the same thoughts. Which is why it was a strategic mistake to allow the mass outsourcing of everything to China.

I believe we would provide military support to Tiawan, though, so sanctions wouldn't be our only option.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I don't mean physically block oil exports, I mean include the energy sector in the sanctions which is now exempt. BP and Shell have already moved out of Russia. Make it financially untenable for any remaining oil company. Russia needs them for production so that would be halted.

I think the sanctions have carved out oil and gas for a reason—mainly blowback on the rest of us as inflation is already too high. Trust me though—traders are backing away from Russian crude, shipping companies are canceling contracts and the price of oil will tank as strategic reserves come online throughout the western world.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Taiwan should get a direct military response… yes the sanctions or total trade shutdown would hurt the west a lot, but they’d be extremely painful to the PRC.

There is no “freeing” Taiwan militarily. Will never happen. Impossible.

But Beijing’s preferred method is to slowly/gradually influence the populace to the point where they openly welcome reunification with China. They have decades to wait. They can play the long game. If China were to seize Taiwan by force, every single fab and manufacturing facility on the island would be sabotaged and destroyed before soldiers set foot on the island.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The movie buff is me wants to see MiG 29s and Su 25s appearing on the western horizon like the X-Wings at Takodana and just wipe them out.

The realist in me understands that even without gas, we’d likely witness the firepower of those fully armed and operational Death Stars…err… S400s in that column.
We need to get them some JDAMs and a platform to deliver them.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Oh no.

I have weird hobbies too. Mine is tracking and monitoring far right and Qanon influencers and followers.

The consensus among them is this: Daddy Putin is saving us all from the massively corrupted Ukrainian government who is a piggy bank for the Cabal. The Clintons and Bidens practically own the country, donchya know? (When you boil it down, though, the Cabal is Jews)
It is also the world epicenter for Cabal human trafficking (SAVE THE CHILDREN!) and they also have dozens of evil US biolabs that Putin has been destroying.
It is also all part of the world reset. Putin is bringing about "Gesara."
And for the evangelical Qnuts? Well, Pat Robertson already expressed their take on it.

The VAST majority of far right conspiracy land (some 25% of this country now) are firmly in support of Putin.

It was only a couple of hours ago that I skimmed this one

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
The more coverage that news outlets show and interview with everyday Ukrainian people the more you are going to get white bread 'Murica on board with this. And not just this specific crisis, but hopefully it shines a different light for our ignorant asses to what a refugee really is.

These aren't terrorists and scum bailing to come here. These are people that were just like us, going to work, raising a family, eating a dinner at family table until some power hungry fuck comes stomping through and starts shelling your city. What makes Ukraine different is they are white, speak pretty good English and have cute kids in coats like we dress ours.

The difference is Ukranian refugees are under siege by a foreign military.
Which nuclear armed russian armies are attacking south america, central america, or mexico? Thats right - none.

Dec 10, 2005
Which nuclear armed russian armies are attacking south america, central america, or mexico? Thats right - none.
Refugees fleeing a formal war or refugees fleeing systemic violence from gangs or their own governments: I'm not really seeing a real difference. They're both groups of people in need of sympathy, compassion, and help.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
sao123:

sure, its not complicated or difficult to understand... its simply morally wrong and reprehensible.

whether the opponent is nuclearly armed or not does not decide if something is humanitarian or not.

sao123 when it comes to applying the exact same principles to other refugees:

'meh, too bad'.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So can someone explain to me why the Ukranians aren't just bombing the shit out of that 17+ mile long convoy? There are videos that have been posted the past few days of them bombing other military stuff with drones or artillery - so why not those sitting ducks?