Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 159 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I noticed a number of online comments in Canadian newspapers along the lines of:

"We had a Freedom Convoy protesting in the capital about minor inconveniences and then we have average citizens fighting and dying for freedom in Ukraine."

This really puts things in perspective, doesn't it?
Don't worry, Americans are against any sanctions if it raises gas prices at all. Who cares about dead kids when I need to fill up my F150.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I wouldn't make any conclusions about Russian Military force out of this Ukrainian invasion. Up until now Russians just dont make any effort.

I'm basing it off decades of observations on their international deployments and analysis of their military doctrine, observations of military industry and clients states and general common knowledge of their industry overall. This is after watching their comical decline during the 90's.

I have weird hobbies

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Can't we cut off Russian oil as part of sanctions and the same time go to Saudi Arabia and tell MSB, "dude you owe us a favor, increase production to blunt what is lost from Russia."

By favor I'm referring to the US not pursuing MSB for the death of Jamal Khashoggi

Reactions: cytg111

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
What makes me nervous is what sort of impact this is going to have on the Russian military.
It was kinda comforting knowing that they were lackluster. The shock value of this might push them to actually take things seriously and prepare for something other than parades, airshows and pretend exercises with China where its 85% grandstanding.

Be weird if in 15 years they are a smaller professional force equipped with Chinese weapons.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Can't we cut off Russian oil as part of sanctions and the same time go to Saudi Arabia and tell MSB, "dude you owe us a favor, increase production to blunt what is lost from Russia."

By favor I'm referring to the US not pursuing MSB for the death of Jamal Khashoggi
Not sure we'd even need o go to SA. We aren't that dependent on Russian oil.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Not sure we'd even need o go to SA. We aren't that dependent on Russian oil.

But many countries in the EU are. This is the dilemma. This supply needs to come from someone else. Not sure the US could help, but we recently went from a net exporter to a net importer.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Really weird that the story on the jets keeps changing. I wonder if it is just misinformation from the Ukrainians.

This really could be diplomatic-speak in my estimation. Poland isn't sending planes to Ukraine airspace and has plausible deniability. If some Ukraine pilots happen to hop the border and borrow a few for the weekend it's technically not "poland" sending them.

So long as they still have an airfield to call home in Ukraine (and can re-paint Ukraine insiginia) I don't think this statement means they're not providing support.

I'm splitting hairs but that's what diplomats do.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I'd think that would make them like Ukraine more...

Oh no.

I have weird hobbies too. Mine is tracking and monitoring far right and Qanon influencers and followers.

The consensus among them is this: Daddy Putin is saving us all from the massively corrupted Ukrainian government who is a piggy bank for the Cabal. The Clintons and Bidens practically own the country, donchya know? (When you boil it down, though, the Cabal is Jews)
It is also the world epicenter for Cabal human trafficking (SAVE THE CHILDREN!) and they also have dozens of evil US biolabs that Putin has been destroying.
It is also all part of the world reset. Putin is bringing about "Gesara."
And for the evangelical Qnuts? Well, Pat Robertson already expressed their take on it.

The VAST majority of far right conspiracy land (some 25% of this country now) are firmly in support of Putin.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
But many countries in the EU are. This is the dilemma. This supply needs to come from someone else. Not sure the US could help, but we recently went from a net exporter to a net importer.

I got ideas...
Won't be popular

USGS_world_oil_endowment.png

bigmap.png

02_fossil-fuel-production-oil.gif

03_fossil-fuel-production-gas.gif

J30_Uwe

Sep 3, 2013
So will the world take this lesson to heart with regards to China's intentions towards Tiawan? We rely a lot on Chinese exports. Sanctions against them if they were to attack Tiawan would be a lot more difficult to live with.

Reactions: Muse and Number1

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Oh no.

I have weird hobbies too. Mine is tracking and monitoring far right and Qanon influencers and followers.

The consensus among them is this: Daddy Putin is saving us all from the massively corrupted Ukrainian government who is a piggy bank for the Cabal. The Clintons and Bidens practically own the country, donchya know? (When you boil it down, though, the Cabal is Jews)
It is also the world epicenter for Cabal human trafficking (SAVE THE CHILDREN!) and they also have dozens of evil US biolabs that Putin has been destroying.
It is also all part of the world reset. Putin is bringing about "Gesara."
And for the evangelical Qnuts? Well, Pat Robertson already expressed their take on it.

The VAST majority of far right conspiracy land (some 25% of this country now) are firmly in support of Putin.

Every time I research this subject I feel I decrease my IQ. It’s some messed up stuff. The suspension of disbelief is not even one tenth of it. They link things together that have no relevance. The more disconnected they are, the stronger they think they are relevant. It blows my mind. It’s amazing that good causes, like Save The Children, have been co-opted by this insanity.

• Wow
Reactions: Number1 and Amused

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
What makes me nervous is what sort of impact this is going to have on the Russian military.
It was kinda comforting knowing that they were lackluster. The shock value of this might push them to actually take things seriously and prepare for something other than parades, airshows and pretend exercises with China where its 85% grandstanding.

Be weird if in 15 years they are a smaller professional force equipped with Chinese weapons.

One way or another, Russia is going to be VERY different after this is over.

Reactions: Number1 and cytg111
Dec 10, 2005
It's like 8% of our imports. We'd be fine. Europe really needs to scramble before next fall/winter.
Since oil is a global commodity, we'll still feel the price increase in the US. We could have dampened this risk substantially if we took steps to limit our dependence on fossil fuels, such as allowing new construction to replace tons of inefficient ancient buildings in our cities, greatly expand the use of heat pumps to reduce the reliance on natural gas and oil heating, and stopping every Tom, Dick, and Harry from buying a massive, gas-guzzling land barge.

But here we are...

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Countries that receive oil or natural gas imports from Russia can reject them, if they choose. We just can’t forcibly block the import or export of economically vital goods without creating a situation where the Russians would go to war, say with NATO. We already have the Russian Gov't at the brink - hence Putin's remonstrations involving the use of nuclear weapons.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Since oil is a global commodity, we'll still feel the price increase in the US. We could have dampened this risk substantially if we took steps to limit our dependence on fossil fuels, such as allowing new construction to replace tons of inefficient ancient buildings in our cities, greatly expand the use of heat pumps to reduce the reliance on natural gas and oil heating, and stopping every Time Dick and Harry from buying a massive, gas-guzzling land barge.

But here we are...

I don't disagree with any of that. Removing reliance on fossil fuels would go a long way towards weakening a lot of really bad actors on the international stage.

Reactions: KMFJD and dank69