Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 158 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I just donated to a Ukraine relief fund after reading through several lists of who was highly regarded. This whole situation there has really fucked with my head (and pulled at my heart) for days now. I'm not over there, so there's nothing I can physically can do, so hopefully my donation helps the displaced / injured / orphaned children that come out of this mess.

I went with this one: https://www.savethechildren.org/us/where-we-work/ukraine

This was one of the "which charity can I trust" articles I used to make sure I was donating to a charity that had a history of really helping people with the donations sent to them: https://abc7chicago.com/russia-ukraine-relief-donations/11609052/

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Reactions: Number1

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Russian embassy in Athens Greece denies any Russian responsibility for the death of 10 ethnic Greeks outside of Mariupol from Russian bombing and puts the blame to Ukrainian Nationalist AZOF Battalion.
There are more than 100.000 Ethnic Greeks living in Ukraine in all those Cities with Greek names (Mariupol , Kherson, Melitopol , Odessa etc)

Not only this but the Russian embassy in Athens Greece issued a statement urging everyone in Greece , especially those in high positions to come to their senses and stop the anti-Russian propaganda.

With all due respect to Russian people, F YOU Russian Embassy , the Russian Ambassador and its personnel that made this statement. You are guests to our country and you have no right telling anyone here in the Birthplace of Democracy what we should or not do and pointing fingers after the invasion you started on a European country. Take a look at your f.....ing leader and what he put the Russian and the Ukrainian people through and start doing something to help Russians and Ukrainians from killing each other and stop the nonsense. We are in 2022 AD, the USSR is long gone , come to your senses and realize the world is not the same as it was 40-50 years ago.

Bellow is the statement translated to English

We call on everyone, especially those who hold high responsible positions, political and state leaders, deputies, party leaders, representatives of ministries, the media, as well as "parrots" of all stripes and others who just yesterday rushed to blame Russia for everything
(as they do all the time), come to your senses. Recall responsibility, stop sowing anti-Russian propaganda and show composure, sobriety and seriousness. For some (it’s easy to guess what) reasons, all of them have not been so loud for the last eight years, when Donbass suffered martyrdom from bullets, bombing and mortar attacks by the Ukrainian army and nationalist fascist formations. And while thousands of dead were mourning there, while villages and cities were drowning in blood, no one painted a single state building, not a single fountain in Athens in the colors of reconciliation; no one was in a hurry with official comments on the Internet and posts on social networks. Not a single demarche was made.
It's time to finally wake up!

Last edited:

Grabo

Apr 5, 2005
I'm not seeing lots of coverage of Mariupol and it seems things are going south in a hurry. From the CNN blog:

Vadym Boichenko, the mayor of Mariupol, said on Ukrainian television that residential areas had been shelled for five days – with heavy artillery, rockets and aircraft.
“There are many wounded, dead local residents, women, children.”
“But today, the best sons of their fatherland on the borders of our city are doing everything, not to give Mariupol away,” Boichenko said.
“They have destroyed important infrastructure, there is no electricity in the city, there is no heat. We are fighting to [the] last bullet."

They apparently are facing the Russian army as well as the Donetsk separatist leader and his forces.

• Wow

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Reading a lot about the need to create "off ramps" for Putin but really I don't see this as viable. He has no interest in backing down and will only escalate. The terms of any sort of peace agreement at this time are going to be roundly unacceptable to Ukraine. He's simply determined that both Ukraine and Russia will suffer mightily but in different ways. I don't favor the US backing down at all in the face of this.

Reactions: Muse

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Former Russian president Dimitry Medvedev threatens France ??

Russia has a large, poorly trained, poorly equipped force built on conscription and threats.
France has a smaller highly trained, well equipped professional force.

I'll take training and a professional force over a sea of abused conscripts any day.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
At this point the idea that Russia could mount and sustain a conventional campaign against any major European power seems highly questionable, at best. Their logistics are a total mess and apparently largely undefended. The videos of abandoned equipment all over the place are just mind blowing.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Russia has a large, poorly trained, poorly equipped force built on conscription and threats.
France has a smaller highly trained, well equipped professional force.

I'll take training and a professional force over a sea of abused conscripts any day.

I wouldn't make any conclusions about Russian Military force out of this Ukrainian invasion. Up until now Russians just dont make any effort.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I wouldn't make any conclusions about Russian Military force out of this Ukrainian invasion. Up until now Russians just dont make any effort.

The tip of their spear isn't bad but seeing it deployed against a non-tiny nation is illuminating as to their (significant) limitations. Russia has got a shit ton of arms but maybe much less of an army than previously thought.

Reactions: Ajay

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The tip of their spear isn't bad but seeing it deployed against a non-tiny nation is illuminating as to their (significant) limitations. Russia has got a shit ton of arms but maybe much less of an army than previously thought.
Yeah the idea that they've suffered thousands of casualties and billions in equipment losses because they didn't feel like winning is absurd.

I think it's less absurd to say they didn't behave as destructively as possible because of their political objectives but clearly their army wasn't good enough to do that...and none of that would excuse the horrendous logistics failures.

Reactions: RnR_au and Zorba

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I noticed a number of online comments in Canadian newspapers along the lines of:

"We had a Freedom Convoy protesting in the capital about minor inconveniences and then we have average citizens fighting and dying for freedom in Ukraine."

This really puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I noticed a number of online comments in Canadian newspapers along the lines of:

"We had a Freedom Convoy protesting in the capital about minor inconveniences and then we have average citizens fighting and dying for freedom in Ukraine."

Yeah, the cries of "mask tyranny" or whatever look even more ridiculous now.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999

But we have convoy supporters also falling for the neonazi bull from Russia