Pipe bomb detonated in downtown Manhattan

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Born in Afghanistan, 28 years old. Got a pretty good idea what the answers are, but it remains possible he was a lone wolf styled crazy who merely associates himself with terrorists. If there are recruiters and connections... that'd be nice to know.

Dec 10, 2005
one way plane trip to Guantanamo would be fine.
You want to send US citizens to Guantanamo? What ever happened to due process?
Born in Afghanistan, 28 years old. Got a pretty good idea what the answers are, but it remains possible he was a lone wolf styled crazy who merely associates himself with terrorists. If there are recruiters and connections... that'd be nice to know.
From the little information we have, it seems unwarranted to drag out the 'jump to conclusions' mat. Perhaps we should just wait for more information before hardening our opinions.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Why? They're all getting out. Some going back to being a terrorist.

Glad he's caught, and nobody died. Hopefully get some details and more people who were involved.

Obama spoke on it a bit ago, pretty good press conference. Included the other acts, mall stabbing etc. I can't see Trump ever speaking calmly like that, on a topic like this.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Why? They're all getting out. Some going back to being a terrorist.

Glad he's caught, and nobody died. Hopefully get some details and more people who were involved.

Obama spoke on it a bit ago, pretty good press conference. Included the other acts, mall stabbing etc. I can't see Trump ever speaking calmly like that, on a topic like this.

You assume he's guilty & you assume others were involved. That's called, unsurprisingly, jumping to conclusions.

He's in custody. There's no point to speculation other than fear mongering.

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
This made me chuckle

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/colu...bomb-walk-away-with-a-new-suitcase-1.12338551

The post-9/11 mantra, “If you see something, say something,” got turned upside down this weekend.

According to media reports, two improvised explosives believed to have been built and left in separate locations by Chelsea explosion suspect Ahmad Khan Rahami were discovered, and one was disabled, by people rifling through the bomb bags for booty.

According to law enforcement sources, two passers-by found a rolling suitcase on West 27th Street, examined the contents, then took a pressure-cooker bomb out and put it on the sidewalk before taking the bag.

The move apparently disarmed the bomb, potentially saving lives. It also kept intact the cellphone attached to the bomb, helping investigators. This all happened less than a quarter-mile from the explosion on West 23rd Street that injured 29 people.

In Elizabeth, New Jersey Sunday evening, police say, a backpack resting on top of a trash can near a train station was taken by two people who, upon investigating the contents and finding five bombs, called the cops.

Across the world, New York City and its neighboring environs have the reputation of being tough, street-smart places. But now it looks like evolution.

Three hundred years of ever-increasing awareness of their surroundings has left New Yorkers with keen instincts for finding the terrifyingly dangerous, out-of-place element — then disassembling it and stealing the good parts.

This post originally appeared in The Point, a daily newsletter by the Newsday editorial board.

Reactions: highland145

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Give him a fair trial as an American Citizen and if ( when ) convicted give him life in prison without parole and serve him ham sandwiches everyday. No TV, no Books, no interaction with humans at all. Yes it is cruel, but so is blowing up innocent people.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
He did business with man with American blood on his hands. I guess you can celebrate that he made some money off of it, but it's an indication how low you have fallen morally.

Where was your "blood on his hands" outrage when obama had African dictators dine at the white house? Oh yeah, it was non existent. Where was your "blood on their hands" outrage when obama lifted Iranian sanctions and sending Iran $1.3 billion in cash on chartered jets. Care to give an estimate of how many U.S. troops were killed by Iranian soldiers in Iraq? There is more but this alone puts you below even the most die hard Trump supporter on the morality scale.

Dec 10, 2005
http://www.nytimes.com/live/new-york-explosion/senator-graham/
Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, called for Ahmad Rahami to be placed into indefinite military custody as an “enemy combatant” and interrogated for intelligence purposes, rather than held as a civilian criminal suspect.

As an enemy combatant, Mr. Rahami could be questioned without a lawyer or a Miranda warning that he had the right to remain silent.

“Holding Rahami as an enemy combatant to determine whether he has ties to terrorist groups, whether he was working for or funded by them, and whether there are co-conspirators, and then trying him in our civilian system for his terrorist acts is the best way to protect our country first, and then achieve justice,” Mr. Graham said in a statement.

I guess some people only love the Constitution when its convenient.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Where was your "blood on his hands" outrage when obama had African dictators dine at the white house? Oh yeah, it was non existent. Where was your "blood on their hands" outrage when obama lifted Iranian sanctions and sending Iran $1.3 billion in cash on chartered jets. Care to give an estimate of how many U.S. troops were killed by Iranian soldiers in Iraq? There is more but this alone puts you below even the most die hard Trump supporter on the morality scale.

Your team sent those soldiers to their deaths. No crocodile tears from you.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Your team sent those soldiers to their deaths. No crocodile tears from you.

Yes that is one thing I regret when I support Hillary.... her voting for approval to go into Iraq. And to correct you... I do not have a team. Unlike the partisan hacks such as yourself, I have no qualms about saying the Bush administration were shitheads for not doing more to stop Iranian involvement in Iraq.... and obama was a shithead for giving Iran everything they wanted.... while they still had a presence in Iraq and other middle eastern nations as well. Well after screwing up Egypt, Syria, Libya, and screwing Iraq even more, maybe obama thought the Iranians could fix his clusterfuck of a mess.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Turns out it was actually ISIS bombing our streets.
Their ability to influence people here needs be examined.

I think what needs to happen is for us to create an air of racial resentment where Muslims in this country who are here legally and are US citizens, like this guy was, can feel even more isolated and resentment towards the American people. Because we all know outcasts typically integrate into society well and don't cause issues.

/s

Last edited:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I think what needs to happen is for us to create an air of racial resentment where Muslims in this country you are here legally and are US citizens, like this guy was, can feel even more isolated and resentment towards the American people. Because we all know outcasts typically integrate into society well and don't cause issues.

So if you somehow incite somebody to rape you, it's your fault?

Roflmouth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2015
I think what needs to happen is for us to create an air of racial resentment where Muslims in this country you are here legally and are US citizens, like this guy was, can feel even more isolated and resentment towards the American people. Because we all know outcasts typically integrate into society well and don't cause issues.

While I appreciate your idiotic sarcasm, I don't give a fuck how he was treated, nor do I care how he'll be treated from here on out.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
So if you somehow incite somebody to rape you, it's your fault?

What if you went around raping all the girls in the village and then some guy got fed up with it and raped you instead. You make it sound like we are somehow innocent.