OMG guys - I'm almost done

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The mudding is finally done! I got the first coat of gray primer up this weekend and started on the subfloor. Was going to go with Tyroc but the delivery fee was $250 so Dricore won out
FCJXU7c.jpg

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Why did you build and finish the wall before the subfloor went in? Why are you building a floor system at all? Inquiring minds want to know.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Why did you build and finish the wall before the subfloor went in? Why are you building a floor system at all? Inquiring minds want to know.

The floor, stage and riser are isolated from the walls via air gaps to reduce sound vibrations up the walls and through the rubber gasket attaching the walls to the joists above. The subfloor offers some additional thermal, impact and sound insulation along with water resistance and I would assume it makes carpet selection\installation easier

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm not very handy most of the time, but, I almost find it cathartic to sand and mud drywall .... progressing up from the 2 inch to the 12 inch spatula and then seeing how smooth it is can be a nice zone out and don' think about anything and don't stress about anything sort of activity ...
Yes, it sucks waiting for it to dry between coats
Looks nice man!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So what exactly did you do? Projection on drywall, is that the idea?

In my home theater I hung a white screen, a cheap piece of Gatorboard, canted down at about 3 degrees (it collects no dust therefore, I get a closer to orthogonal view and my projector does as well). I painted the ceiling jet black, have black velvet drapes over draw string window shades for close to pitch black conditions.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I'm not very handy most of the time, but, I almost find it cathartic to sand and mud drywall .... progressing up from the 2 inch to the 12 inch spatula and then seeing how smooth it is can be a nice zone out and don' think about anything and don't stress about anything sort of activity ...
Yes, it sucks waiting for it to dry between coats
Looks nice man!

Thanks but the fact that you enjoy mudding leads me to believe you are psychotic.

So what exactly did you do? Projection on drywall, is that the idea?

Once the stage is done I'll setup up posts to hang the screen from. It will be an acoustically transparent material (apparently spandex works quite well for this) so my speakers can go behind it. Initial measurements puts it at 132" in a 2.35 ratio

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks but the fact that you enjoy mudding leads me to believe you are psychotic.
A bit masochistic, perhaps. Though I never claimed to "enjoy" it. What I said was that it can be a good way to tune out the world.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A bit masochistic, perhaps. Though I never claimed to "enjoy" it. What I said was that it can be a good way to tune out the world.
And it beats alcohol.

At least it's constructive. Most any DIY project can give you good vibes if you see it through. Yup, I speak from experience, although mudding isn't something I've done, IIRC. I have tackled similar tedious projects, many of them. I'm resigned to the fact that life has its tedium... I've survived that philosophy nicely.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You're just talking crazy now.
Yeah, well, I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess I meant to say it beats being a drunk. I just this morning read an account of Buster Keaton's life. He was married 3 times. First was 11 years, then divorced... she took all his money and wouldn't let him see his two kids, ever. He became an alcoholic. Then he marries his nurse, had no memory of it at all. That lasted 3 years, officially, anyway. Last time lasted 26 years, until he died.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Booze will trash your life if you let it get the better of you. Most folks don't even realize it's happening until they're long past the event horizon. Seen that happen time and again. I figure the quart of whisky a year I drink is a lot safer than the cigars I smoke.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Booze will trash your life if you let it get the better of you. Most folks don't even realize it's happening until they're long past the event horizon. Seen that happen time and again. I figure the quart of whisky a year I drink is a lot safer than the cigars I smoke.
I have never had more attachment to alcohol in any form than I do for broccoli. As ever, I can take it or leave it. I often pour myself my only daily amount, less than 4oz of red wine at dinner and pour some or all of it back into the bottle because I just don't feel like drinking it... I'm that casual about it.

I haven't personally observed anyone I know descend into alcoholism but I know some people who have been through it and are definitely AA material. They say that once an alcoholic you stay that way. You can quit, but you better regard the stuff as poison from then on. Again, I wouldn't know from personal experience.

So, maybe you can get what I mean when I say that zoning out on some DIY project might be better therapy than alcohol.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I have never had more attachment to alcohol in any form than I do for broccoli. As ever, I can take it or leave it. I often pour myself my only daily amount, less than 4oz of red wine at dinner and pour some or all of it back into the bottle because I just don't feel like drinking it... I'm that casual about it.

I haven't personally observed anyone I know descend into alcoholism but I know some people who have been through it and are definitely AA material. They say that once an alcoholic you stay that way. You can quit, but you better regard the stuff as poison from then on. Again, I wouldn't know from personal experience.

So, maybe you can get what I mean when I say that zoning out on some DIY project might be better therapy than alcohol.
Oh I get it, I was just being a smart ass in my first response. As I often say, if I wasn't a dick, I wouldn't be anything at all.

Edit: Did you ever get you're drainage issue solved? I was tossing another piece of that huge PVC pipe in the trash the other day and thought about you.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Oh I get it, I was just being a smart ass in my first response. As I often say, if I wasn't a dick, I wouldn't be anything at all.

Edit: Did you ever get you're drainage issue solved? I was tossing another piece of that huge PVC pipe in the trash the other day and thought about you.
Thanks for asking. It's been on the back burner, but really, it is my most pressing problem and yeah, the summer's progressing and I need to do something. I'm thinking I should do some homework and find some contractors, somebody, maybe drainage expert, a landscaper to have a look-see and tell me what they think. Shortly after I bought the house (and beforehand, too), I had some guys over here, got appraisals, etc. Bids on foundation rebuild, etc. By and large they were very experienced guys and came highly recommended. Some of those guys are no doubt retired now. I want to know my options.

That piece of pipe I got from you is sitting in the garage.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Thanks for asking. It's been on the back burner, but really, it is my most pressing problem and yeah, the summer's progressing and I need to do something. I'm thinking I should do some homework and find some contractors, somebody, maybe drainage expert, a landscaper to have a look-see and tell me what they think. Shortly after I bought the house (and beforehand, too), I had some guys over here, got appraisals, etc. Bids on foundation rebuild, etc. By and large they were very experienced guys and came highly recommended. Some of those guys are no doubt retired now. I want to know my options.

That piece of pipe I got from you is sitting in the garage.
I use the Brazilian Mafia for drainage and excavation. Pretty good guys that make it happen. Let me know if you need a phone number.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I use the Brazilian Mafia for drainage and excavation. Pretty good guys that make it happen. Let me know if you need a phone number.
Thanks, I'll look them up. If I can't find them, I'll ask you.